Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Womantours Trip Report

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just finished a short Womantours tour--their Terry Tour of Maryland. According to friends and neighbors, I came home happier than they've seen me in months!

It wasn't exactly an epic adventure, and to many of you, the mileage will seem quite short, but for this 53-year-old woman who's just coming back to cycling from a back and knee injury, it was a major victory . Read about it on my blog: Tour de Chesapeake
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Sounds like a great time, I'd love to ride in that area someday.

Just read the blog. Very cool.

Whipped cream on a margarita?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

A friend of mine just did Woman Tours from San Diego to Florida, one of their group was hit by a car and killed. It was really terrible. I've always wanted to do something like that, but now I have all sorts of reservations. I'm glad you had a good experience though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Girl
    A friend of mine just did Woman Tours from San Diego to Florida, one of their group was hit by a car and killed. It was really terrible. I've always wanted to do something like that, but now I have all sorts of reservations. I'm glad you had a good experience though.
    I read about that in JoAnne Diller's journal. What an unfortunate accident. I hate even thinking about something like that happening on a trip like that - but it could just as easily happened when riding around home. Please don't let something like this keep you from traveling on your bike.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Quote Originally Posted by Bad JuJu
    ...for this 53-year-old woman who's just coming back to cycling from a back and knee injury, it was a major victory .
    It sounds like you really enjoyed the tour. And I'm always happy to see more women joining me in the world of touring! Does this mean there are more tours in your future?

Thanks for the trip report!
    --- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-04-2006 at 10:25 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

Bad Juju, sounds like a great trip indeed. I would like to try a tour as well some time. Glad you had a nice time.

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    I read about that in JoAnne Diller's journal. What an unfortunate accident. I hate even thinking about something like that happening on a trip like that - but it could just as easily happened when riding around home. Please don't let something like this keep you from traveling on your bike.

--- Denise
    Do you know JoAnne? 2 women from my cycling group (Chicks on Bikes) were on that trip - they were really devastated.

Great pictures, and really fun to read your report. I'm going to forward it to my Mom. At 70, I think her bike tour days are done, but I know she'll enjoy reading it. Anybody know how old Georgina is? What an amazing woman.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    Anybody know how old Georgina is? What an amazing woman.
    I found a page on the Chatham College website about an award given to Georgena Terry where it lists her as being in the class of '72. If she wasn't an early to school (or late to school) type of person, I would assume that she is in her mid-50s. That could be a bad guess though...
    --- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fuji Girl
    Do you know JoAnne? 2 women from my cycling group (Chicks on Bikes) were on that trip - they were really devastated.
    No, I don't know JoAnne - I was following along in her journal and read about the accident both in her journal and in at least one other journal written by someone on that trip. It does sound like it was devastating, and obviously I don't know the whole story.

But I do know that accidents happen, and I also know that I could very easily have lost my life in my own crash just over two years ago. In fact one of the docs I saw told me about a friend of his who had essentially the same type of crash that I did and who did not survive. Biking and traveling on my bike is part of my life though, and I needed to continue riding (after some healing time, of course). I just couldn't allow that freak accident to stop me. I guess that's what I was trying to say to you in my earlier post - if you have a desire to travel on your bike, then don't let that accident keep you from a dream.

Sorry Bad JuJu, I didn't mean to hijack your thread about your tour. I'm done now...
    --- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 06-04-2006 at 10:27 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

That tour sounds soo cool. I have looked at those tours on line but for now too expensive for me...some day though!!!

I have ridden most of those roads, but am trying to figure out where the "bridge" is. Just can't remember it. The MD Eastern shore is fabulous riding, especially this time of year. When I rode that ferry to Oxford there was an Aston Martin on board, and when we rode off the ferry at Oxford, there was a Rolls Royce waiting to board. What's wrong with that picture? Well I surely don't fit into that class... LOL.

The trip sounds great. Is this a trip sponsored by Terry on a regular or annual basis?

I'm glad you're all enjoying the blog--that's a significant part of the fun for me--reminiscing about the tour with words and photos.

The president of Womantours has a post on her blog about Laraine, the woman who was killed on tour, and there's a sad but hopeful comment by one of the riders on the same tour: Laraine
    It was clearly a terrible tragedy, and would make any cyclist stop and think. On the other hand, I have to agree with Denise about this--I hear more often about cyclists getting hit by cars close to home than when they're on long tours. And wouldn't it be even sadder if Laraine's legacy were to keep women OFF their bikes?

But safety IS a legit concern, and though my experience is limited, the guides on my particular tour displayed an unrelenting concern for our comfort and safety, without actually hovering, kwim?

withm, the bridge was not such a big deal--I was just whiny after 35 miles in a nasty headwind. It was a little bridge to where Old Salty's Restaurant is. And yes, this is an annual trip, run jointly by Womantours and Terry. Great for the beginner or re-beginner (like myself) or for anyone looking for a short tour in pleasant surroundings.
    Bad JuJu: Team TE Bianchista
    "The road to hell is paved with works-in-progress." -Roth
    Read my blog: Works in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    I found a page on the Chatham College website about an award given to Georgena Terry where it lists her as being in the class of '72. If she wasn't an early to school (or late to school) type of person, I would assume that she is in her mid-50s. That could be a bad guess though...
    --- Denise

On a trip with WomanTours last November to Hawaii, I learned that she's somewhere in her 70s. Don't quote me, but it's right around there.