Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho

Out of the Maze ALIVE!

To disable ads, please log-in.

SadieKate, Veronica, and I (and our spouses & friends) made it out of the Maze in the Canyonlands yesterday. I thought I'd post a couple teasers. V is still on the plane and SadieKate is driving across Nevada.

We had a great time. No major injuries and pretty darn nice weather (it rained once, and that was at night).

Here's a big ol' rock that was at one of our campsites:

And here's my DH negotiating a li'l hill in an area called "Teapot":

More later after I get unpacked a bit and the other gals can chime in!

Oh, I had to add one more I just downloaded off of DH's camera.

This is V and Thom on the rim of the actual "maze".

Wow! Is that SUNLIGHT I see???

Looks like you guys had a great time - I'm looking forward to hearing more!

It looks fabulous. I hate you all.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

What's wrong with the sky? It doesn't have any of those gray puffy things in it!

SO COOL! I've missed you guys around here! Looking forward to many stories and pix. L.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

My favorite state I wouldn't want to live in!!! Gorgeous. Need pics!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

WAY Cool! I can't wait to see more pics and here more about your adventures! You guys were really missed on the boards though!

Tracy

Before I got hooked on cycling, my BF and I went hiking in Needles - thanks for the memories -- the White Rim trail is on my short list of must-dos!

VERY COOL! And my husband wants a full report. He had that "hmmmm... I didn't know you could ride in canyonlands, but now my wheels are turning" tone when I showed him the pics. He's a HUGE moab fan, so any mention of the area and he get's excited. He's such a dirt dog! And I'm such a dirt weenie...

Thanks for the pics - sounds like you had a fabulous time. And since V (& I assume Thom?) were there too, I'm hoping we'll see more pictures too. That's such a beautiful place!

For any roadies who are interested, while that area is well known for off-road riding, there are decent places to wander on road bikes too... I did a couple of long-weekend trips there with my road bike a few years back (and yes, you're right - I do live on the other side of the country!). So Running Mommy - maybe you could wander on your road bike while your husband is wandering off-road.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 04-17-2006 at 04:02 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Here we are - Day 1, lunch stop.

Sarah, Veronica, Sue

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Good picture, V!

And since V (& I assume Thom?) were there too, I'm hoping we'll see more pictures too.
    OF COURSE Thom was our official trip photographer. The rest of us took pictures as well but we expect his to be the cream of the crop.

VERY COOL! And my husband wants a full report. He had that "hmmmm... I didn't know you could ride in canyonlands, but now my wheels are turning" tone when I showed him the pics.
    Our trip was fully supported. There isn't any water in there, and no bathrooms...and everything has to be taken out. It would be tough to do day rides deep in there where we were, but you could do some of the lower elevation and/or easily accessible roads...but I doubt they'd be much fun for your hubby. You have to stick to the roads in the park, so I'm sure you'd do just fine out there!

SadieKate had quite an adventure getting home. But I'll let her explain that!

How did you arrange the support? Any recommendations on guides, or was it self-supported?

We were thinking of doing the White Rim Trail self-supported. Find a non-cycling friend who wants to drive the support van. Still just dreaming about it, at this point.

We went with a guided tour. There are three companies that do tours in the area - Rim Tours, Western Spirit and Escape Adventures. We have done tours with all three in the last year and they seem pretty comparable - good guides, good food, amazing scenery.

At this point I would choose the company that could give me a trip on the dates I wanted.

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com