Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Neck MRI results

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I got the results, the short version is that my neck is shot. No surprise. Severe foraminal stenosis with possible nerve root impingement, a bulging disk (different location), etc., etc. Seeing my medical peeps to determine which of my physical activities are less likely to cause problems. Ugh. Oh well, my OD was quite certain the MRI would show something like this given my symptoms.

Ugh Catrin, so sorry to hear that. What a time you've had.

I know you're very reluctant to have any more surgery, with good reason AFAIC, but stenosis is one of the VERY few things that I might consider surgery for it if were me. Hope you and your doctors can come up with a plan.

Hugs to you.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Ugh Catrin, so sorry to hear that. What a time you've had.

I know you're very reluctant to have any more surgery, with good reason AFAIC, but stenosis is one of the VERY few things that I might consider surgery for it if were me. Hope you and your doctors can come up with a plan.

Hugs to you.
    Thanks Oakleaf. For this I AM spending some time on "Dr Google" - focusing on reputable sites - so my imagination has less room to run wild before seeing my chiro and DO (tomorrow and Friday). I also just made the mistake of re-reading the entire report and counting the number of bulging cervical disks (3), and all of the OTHER things going on with the disk where the severe stenosis is. Ugh. Time for hot chocolate, a soothing audiobook + some knitting I think.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-13-2016 at 06:30 PM.

Dang, Catrin, that stinks! Guess we should have been couch potatoes like my SIL, her version of exercise is walking to the fridge... but her danged joints still work.

Electra Townie 7D

I am sorry, Catrin. But, I would be taking the same approach as you. Study, read, and consult with the docs you trust. And, I do agree with Oakleaf. You are too young to give it up.
    Sometimes I wonder if my body would not be in pain most of the time if I just sat on the couch, went to the mall, and maybe took a walk...
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    So I got the results, the short version is that my neck is shot. No surprise. Severe foraminal stenosis with possible nerve root impingement, a bulging disk (different location), etc., etc. Seeing my medical peeps to determine which of my physical activities are less likely to cause problems. Ugh. Oh well, my OD was quite certain the MRI would show something like this given my symptoms.
    What causes this condition, Catrin?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    What causes this condition, Catrin?
    Lots of things that include aging, trauma, osteoarthritis.

I've had to dial things back this past month or so due to neck and shoulder pain, but I CAN at least still hike, use the ArcTrainer at the gym, and do heavy kettlebell swings. I will be working with my peeps to figure out the best approach for exercise - I'm sure pressing and overhead kettlebell sport lifts are out of the question. I won't consider surgery at this point, I don't know anyone who has only had ONE spine-related surgery. Also, from what I've read, it is progressive and quite often returns a few years after the surgery. It may eventually be necessary but **** ** I'm still recovering from my knee surgery in July!

On the other hand, it DOES explain why I've been totally incapable of building upper body strength. The nerve root in question is associated with my problem scapula and other things related to upper body strength, it's all related. I had no idea THAT was neurological, I did know the radiating pain and numbness was - that is why I had to give up riding. Between neck injuries and arthritis I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. The mere idea that I might eventually need to see a neurosurgeon is rather chilling, that sounds SERIOUS! My RN sister has already told me that I should have someone in mind just in case things deteriorate. Thanks sis...
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-13-2016 at 06:33 PM.

Welcome to the club? Not something I'd wish on anyone, I had surgery in 2008 for my neck issues. It worked out well for me, but I will still say, explore all your options. Good luck Catrin.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Welcome to the club? Not something I'd wish on anyone, I had surgery in 2008 for my neck issues. It worked out well for me, but I will still say, explore all your options. Good luck Catrin.
    Thanks Snap, I had forgotten that, you mentioned it after my mountain-bike crash induced neck injury in 2011 that had permanent repercussions & eventually took me off the bike. Glad to hear that it worked out for you! I certainly won't rush in that direction. As this is a structural change there aren't many options but hopefully there are other options for now.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-14-2016 at 03:23 AM.

I am really sorry to read this. It stinks. My brother has had neck surgery successfully. He was a motocross racer, and his was really bad. I can ask him exactly what he had done if you want. More info perhaps.

My Chiro told me this morning that even severe stenosis is slow-moving. Even surgery isn't guaranteed to make me symptom free and it would permenantly remove the option of some of my favorite activities (kettlebell sport lifting/competitive lifts). The symptoms are certainly there, but liveable. He advises dropping back to just hiking and kettlebell swings for 6 months to see if that nerve calms and symptoms relent. I suspect my Dr will concur, if not then it might be time to see a neurosurgeon.

There really aren't many other options for this but I don't see the need to rush. He said if I were to show that report to most any surgeon that they would scare me into surgery within 10 minutes. I think he is probably right.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-14-2016 at 07:41 AM.

Yes! That's exactly what my neurosurgeon said..."Well, I am a surgeon, so you know what I'm going to recommend". But that was after a lot of PT, Pain Management Dr visits, etc. my PCP sent me to the surgeon as a last resort.

My Osteopath laid it out for me today. He isn't concerned about my symptoms, but about the possible death of the impinged nerve and some other things in the MRI that has him concerned about my loosing at least partial use of my bad arm.

He then proceeded to show me just how weak I really am, apparently I've learned how to adapt well and how to get my body to assist. Kettlebell lifting is an all body activity, I knew I was weaker than I should be at my activity level but didn't know I was THAT weak. He think the mtb crash fed into this, it isn't all new. So I will let them do further tests for more information, it is only prudent. They have my attention.

To top it all off, I've a small meniscus tear in the knee that just had surgery.

Officially I am now limited to walking, hiking, and cardio machines that don't hurt. I think I need ice cream...

And wine.

Damn

Electra Townie 7D

Be nice to yourself... ice cream and a beer might be ordered here. But, keep your good attitude. You can still do more than what most people ever do... and keep researching.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura