Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Breast cyst

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352

    Breast cyst

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I woke up Friday night with my left breast in PAIN. I started poking around and found a lump. Saturday it was still painful, but better, Sunday again painful but better and Monday the same. I called and got into the gyn today. She felt it and said, wow, that is big. Then she asks if I had my mammo last year (which i did in June) and then she says something about my dense breasts. At that point I ask her if I should panic. She said, no, I think you have a cyst, but we need to schedule you for a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound, which I will be going to tomorrow.

    My question is (assuming it is a cyst) what about this pain? It's better than Friday, but it's still pretty painful. My cycle is due to start this weekend. Will that help? Will I need to get off of birth control pills? I'll be talking to my doc, but I was checking to see what kind of experiences others have had.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,308
    I never had a cyst that was particularly painful, but on 2 occasions I had 2 cysts that developed piggy-backed and made for a visible lump in my boob. The first time was pre-kid and they were drained...they drained probably 1.5oz. fluid -- golfball sized blob. Same dumb cysts refilled when I was nursing, so my doc chose not to do anything with them, for risk of introducing bacteria and giving me mastitis. They resolved on their own.

    Which reminds me, I'm like 6 months overdue for my own mammo.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    My gyn said they probably would not drain it due to the exact reasons you mentioned. She said if it continues to be painful enough it can be surgically removed. I'm just hoping that when the cycle is over it's smaller or less painful or whatever. The pain seems to come and go. I'm guessing after it gets mashed tomorrow with the mammo the pain will probably be loud and clear.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,636
    Oooh, so sorry, thekarens. I used to have (prior to menopause) very sore breasts as a part of the PMS but never any large cysts like you're experiencing. After my period the pain would resolve completely, and my breasts would shrink a cup size. I can only imagine how uncomfortable a mammo with a large, painful cyst will be, and I wish for you that it goes quickly -- and that the results of that and the ultrasound show that it's nothing to worry about.
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Sillycon Valley, California
    Posts
    4,869
    I used to have a large cyst in my left breast, it would get very painful before my period. Once I stopped birth control, and coincidently started menopause, it went away.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words. Once the diagnoses is confirmed I'm going to ask my gyn about going off the pill. I'm only taking it to control bleeding, not for birth control so there's got to be other alternatives.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    6,449
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words. Once the diagnoses is confirmed I'm going to ask my gyn about going off the pill. I'm only taking it to control bleeding, not for birth control so there's got to be other alternatives.
    I'll just copy/paste the post I put in another thread a few days ago (mentioned to avoid confusing anyone).

    I take a form of progesterone for heavy periods. It doesn't have the side effects that full bc has. (Medroxyprogesterone acetate). Have considered doing an ablation, but not ready to go there, yet.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

    Battswebb

    Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

    Surly Krampus!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    I'll just copy/paste the post I put in another thread a few days ago (mentioned to avoid confusing anyone).

    I take a form of progesterone for heavy periods. It doesn't have the side effects that full bc has. (Medroxyprogesterone acetate). Have considered doing an ablation, but not ready to go there, yet.
    Thanks Muirenn! I'll mention it to the gyn. I was fine with the idea of the ablation, but the gyn wanted to try the pills first.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,308
    Ablation won't do anything for erratic/short cycles, FYI. If I didn't hate the way BCPs kill my libido I'd be back on them. At 42 my cycles are stupid short (21-24 days, typically), but I bleed for a solid 8 days. After ablation my periods are mostly spotting, but it's still a PITA being visited by AF so much.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Ablation won't do anything for erratic/short cycles, FYI. If I didn't hate the way BCPs kill my libido I'd be back on them. At 42 my cycles are stupid short (21-24 days, typically), but I bleed for a solid 8 days. After ablation my periods are mostly spotting, but it's still a PITA being visited by AF so much.
    I guess it affects everyone differently. I have 2 coworkers who had it done and neither of them has had a cycle since.

    BC has the same effect on me, but it's worth it not to have have those heavy short cycles. However, it's not worth breast cysts.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West MI
    Posts
    4,308
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    I guess it affects everyone differently. I have 2 coworkers who had it done and neither of them has had a cycle since.
    They're still having cycles, even if they're not bleeding (but I envy their total lack of flow...lucky!! Mine is greatly reduced, but still there). Short of removing ovaries there's no way to actually stop the hormonal cycle before menopause, unfortunately. I suspect I've been battling perimenopause for nearly a decade, already (IIRC I was ~35 when my cycles went from ~26-28 days to 24-26...and now <24) so I hope I'll stop with the cycles nonsense early. I almost certainly had endo since my first period at 12 (heavy bleeding, severe pain)...wasn't diagnosed until my tubal at age 30. My doc tried me on 10 days/cycle of 200mg Prometrium for a few months to help regulate things, but it didn't do squat. Fortunately I otherwise feel great and haven't had any other issues, am just tired of the inconvenience of it all.

    I wish I could remember if my first cysts were while on BCPs. I think they probably were, but I don't know if they were due to the hormones or not. 2nd time I wasn't on BCPs, I don't think. Not sure how wonky my hormones would have been while lactating, though. I didn't get my periods back until DS was maybe 9 months old and I think the cysts came and went around the time he was maybe 6 months old.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious


    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    They're still having cycles, even if they're not bleeding (but I envy their total lack of flow...lucky!! Mine is greatly reduced, but still there). Short of removing ovaries there's no way to actually stop the hormonal cycle before menopause, unfortunately. I suspect I've been battling perimenopause for nearly a decade, already (IIRC I was ~35 when my cycles went from ~26-28 days to 24-26...and now <24) so I hope I'll stop with the cycles nonsense early. I almost certainly had endo since my first period at 12 (heavy bleeding, severe pain)...wasn't diagnosed until my tubal at age 30. My doc tried me on 10 days/cycle of 200mg Prometrium for a few months to help regulate things, but it didn't do squat. Fortunately I otherwise feel great and haven't had any other issues, am just tired of the inconvenience of it all.

    I wish I could remember if my first cysts were while on BCPs. I think they probably were, but I don't know if they were due to the hormones or not. 2nd time I wasn't on BCPs, I don't think. Not sure how wonky my hormones would have been while lactating, though. I didn't get my periods back until DS was maybe 9 months old and I think the cysts came and went around the time he was maybe 6 months old.
    I can't blame you for hating the inconvenience. I'd hate it too. That's a major PITA.

    I never had problems until my 40s and then my cycles went wonky with the heavy irregular bleeding, which is why I got put on the BCP. To my knowledge I've never had a breast cyst or if I did it was small and I never noticed. Certainly I never had pain in the past.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Uncanny Valley
    Posts
    14,645
    Ow. Hope you get it sorted ASAP.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Concord, MA
    Posts
    13,101
    The wonky cycles are a normal part of perimenopause. I started with that when I was around 37-38 and was miserable for 10 years, when my periods stopped at age 48. My already horrible PMS (physical symptoms) got worse. I did have a breast cyst when I was around 33, but after a mammo and an aspiration, nothing came of it and it's never returned.
    Glad to be done with all of that! The worst thing was, my periods stopped for 11 months, twice! I thought I was done and then it started up again. Hot flashes were nothing compared to the PMS that i suffered with almost 2 weeks out of every month.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

    2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    Funny thing, they tested me for perimenopause and said I wasn't going through that so then they did a biopsy on my endometrial lining and cervix. Those both came back fine.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •