Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Oatmeal for breakfast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm into it. :-)
    Has anyone ever tried cooking up a few day's worth, and just reheating your portion in the morning? I'm trying different versions of the non-quick cooking kind. It seems like it would be way more efficient to cook up 4 days' worth, keep it in the fridge, and reheat it. Anyone?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

I used to do that with steel cut oats. It worked great except the one time I hit the wrong button and nuked it to death.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I was just reading about using a rice cooker for oats. I don't have a fancy one with multiple settings (including "porridge") Has anyone used a rice cooker for oats?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

I do it with steel cut oats as well. I pour them into a container when they're hot, then cut a square of whatever size I want for breakfast, and mash them around in a bowl with milk before I nuke 'em. It might work without that step, but they certainly seem to become one solid blob in the fridge. Super quick, easy, and tasty.

I haven't used a rice cooker for oats, but I tried it with barley ... once. It foamed WAY too much and spewed through the vent, awful time cleaning it up. Oats foam even worse than barley. I wouldn't try it.

I just finished a batch of steel cut oats. It definitely took some finagling for it not to explode in the nuculator. The first couple of bowls ... I'll just say I spent more time cleaning than eating.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I haven't heard of using a rice cooker, but I've been meaning to try cooking steel cut oats overnite in the crockpot.

I used my rice cooker for oats...twice. Both times it was a huge disaster! It was really really gross, gummy and slimy. It made a mess of the cooker and the resulting oats were not edible (unless I was willing to scrape them off the counter top!). And I do have a 'porridge' setting!

I have had the best luck with either stovetop or in the slow cooker in a steam bath (the oats sit in a bowl inside the cooker in a couple of inches of water). The best part about this method was that they cooked overnight and I had hot oats when I woke up with no work (and easy clean up).
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Oatmeal makes me hungry. Seriously. I eat it 2-3 times a week, but if I don't have some serious protein with it, my stomach is rumbling in an hour. I even put walnuts or almonds in my oatmeal, but that doesn't seem to help.
    Does anyone else have this issue?
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

For rolled oats, I don't even cook it.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Do you do the muesli thing soak it in yoghurt over night?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Oatmeal makes me hungry. Seriously. I eat it 2-3 times a week, but if I don't have some serious protein with it, my stomach is rumbling in an hour. I even put walnuts or almonds in my oatmeal, but that doesn't seem to help.
    Yep. That. I was laughing because DH bought the oats and I wound up eating so much of it even though I don't digest it well.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I vaguely remember a long thread on this a while back. Seems like a lot of people cooked up a batch in a slow cooker and then reheated it during the week.

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I'm the same way. I put peanut butter or nuts in it, and it's okay if I'm not working out, but if I want to ride, I I have to put so much PB into it that I may as well be eating the PB out of the jar. All of that stuff in the oatmeal just binds to all the fat and protein and it's gone.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Oak, I also have, ah, digestive issues with oatmeal. The only reason I'm eating more of it, is to try to see if it helps lower my little LDL issue.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Dont know if I got this recipe here or another forum but, when I make steel cut oats, once the water boils and you put in the oats, cover the pan and remove from heat and after a few hours they're done. I've done this overnight and they're perfect in the morning. I've tried making a few days worth or oatmeal(not steel cuts) and they get kind of mushy. Maybe I'm cooking them too long or I can't remember if I put some brown sugar in and this caused it. I think I'm going to try it again and not cook them till they're completely done. BTW never used a rice cooker, but tried a crock pot, but this I found this other way easier.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100