Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

make-ahead breakfast?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm looking for a make-ahead pre-ride (so, plenty of carbs, fat and protein ) breakfast that I can pull out of the fridge (or wherever) and eat. Owing to my parents' remodeling of their bedroom (and the fact that they're now sleeping on couches downstairs...), I'm having to sneak out of the house in the morning to ride, and cereal is actually amazingly noisy.

My only limiting factor on this is that I can't do oatmeal for breakfast before a ride. No matter what I put in it, it tends to mop up fat and does nothing for me.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

My stand-by has been oatmeal, so sorry I don't have any other thoughts in terms of "quiet" breakfast foods. Find a nice a nice diner on the way to the bike trail???

I am quite partial to those veg breakfast sandwiches, tho now looking at the nutritional facts it's got 350 cal with 18 grams of fat (7 sat, 0 trans), that might change... HOW on earth does an egg, cheese, and rosted peppers on a bun can contain 18g of fat is way beyond me. Wow. Epic FAIL Starbucks! Hey, half the molten cheese sticks to the inside of the stupid bag anyhow, so I can deduct that, right?!?!?! Lol.

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

I like 3/4 cup Greek yogurt 0% fat mixed with a fully fatted yogurt (Brown Cow Coffee flavor is my fav!) and Great Grains cereal on top.

Is the cereal noisy when you pour it out or noisy when you eat it? If it's a pouring issue you could just pour it out the night before into a bowl with a cover.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    My stand-by has been oatmeal, so sorry I don't have any other thoughts in terms of "quiet" breakfast foods. Find a nice a nice diner on the way to the bike trail???

I am quite partial to those veg breakfast sandwiches, tho now looking at the nutritional facts it's got 350 cal with 18 grams of fat (7 sat, 0 trans), that might change... HOW on earth does an egg, cheese, and rosted peppers on a bun can contain 18g of fat is way beyond me. Wow. Epic FAIL Starbucks! Hey, half the molten cheese sticks to the inside of the stupid bag anyhow, so I can deduct that, right?!?!?! Lol.

Shannon
    Cheese and egg! An ounce of cheese has 8 - 10 grams of fat depending on the kind. But it's also got 6 - 8 grams of protein.

The egg has 5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

oatmeal was my suggestion, too - are you talking steel cut or "quick"? I cook the steel cut in my crock pot overnight and just dish it out in the am.
    The other thing I do is hard boiled eggs (with mustard and paprika, but that's just me). I sometimes add something to the egg - a slice of ham which I just wrap around it, for example.
    My photoblog
    http://dragons-fly-peacefully.blogspot.com/
    Bacchetta Giro (recumbent commuter)
    Bacchetta Corsa (recumbent "fast" bike)
    Greespeed X3 (recumbent "just for fun" trike)
    Strada Velomobile
    I will never buy another bike!

I like frozen waffles that you'd toast with peanut butter on them. But the toaster might be too noisy too.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

Make some cookies?
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Do you have a toaster oven? Make breakfast burritos ahead of time and warm in a toaster oven(microwave too noisy). PB&J sandwich or wrap.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

I 2nd the waffle w/PB idea...as it's my favorite breakfast/pre-ride meal. I normally use Van's waffles...either the gluten-free blueberry ones or the multigrain ones, both are very yummy. And I also add banana slices on top of the PB and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.
    2012 Seven Axiom SL - Specialized Ruby SL 155

Is eating the cereal the noisy part, or getting it ready?

When I've raced out of town I've prepared a bowl of my usual cereal, fortified with chia, protein powder, dried fruit and nuts, the night before. In the morning all I have to do is pop the top off the bowl and add milk substitute.

Some cereals are less crunchy than others - and if you used a plastic spoon and/or bowl, you'd minimize dish noise.

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    (microwave too noisy)
    Also, the mute button on the microwave is one of the world's better inventions ... I guess the doors pretty much have to be loud to seal tightly enough, though. That would pretty much rule out oatmeal for me regardless. I can eat almost anything cold, but not oatmeal.

It might just be a matter of getting the proportions right with oatmeal too. I also find that undoctored oatmeal might as well be a couple of tablespoons of white sugar, for all the good it does me. These days (or I should say, in cooler weather lately) I start with 1/3 c of old fashioned oats, 3/4 c or more of water, a pinch of salt, and then stir in a LOT of peanut butter and some dried fruit after it's cooked, and it seems to keep me going reasonably well.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Hard boiled egg and cold bacon you cooked the day before. I eat this a lot. It sounds disgusting but is great.

Other options:

Apple and an ounce of cheese.

Banana and 6 walnut halves.

A few ideas: prepare a bowl of fresh fruit with yogurt in the evening, and if you want something crunchy to sprinkle on it, have it measured out already (granola, a handful of toasted pecans, etc).

Peanut butter, almond butter or nutella sandwich with whatever ornaments you prefer: jam, sliced fresh peaches, banana, honey.

Another option, bagel and cream cheese (with lox!). It's not as good cold as toasted, but it's okay.

I agree on pre-pouring cereal if you like cold cereal- just prep everything the night before, pouring the cereal into the bowl, even pouring out the milk into a little cup so.

Luna bar, or a nutrigrain type bar, and fresh fruit.

Some people have been known to indulge in cold leftover pizza ....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I am one of those people...
    I 'd go for the pre-made breakfast sandwich on whole wheat, with egg or egg whites, ham or turkey bacon and a piece of fruit.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

http://www.fatsecret.com/recipes/bak...l/Default.aspx

This is my most favorite make-ahead breakfast. I usually make as muffins and add some blueberries. The kids even love it. Little tip...I put the oatmeal in a small food processor/chopper which grounds it into an almost flour-like consistency.
    Orbea Onix Dama TLT

Do you like to bake? You could make raisen bran muffins ahead of time. If you buy a bag of 'bran' the recipe is usually on it.

I usually get this kind:

http://www.amazon.com/Bobs-Red-Mill-.../dp/B001KUQIJ6
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!