Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vegetarian Recipes

To disable ads, please log-in.

What are some sources for your favorite vegetarian recipes? websites, books...
    Mary
    ~Strong and content, I travel the open road.~

http://www.the3day.org/goto/mary.aguirre

Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian is my go to book. I also enjoy The Art of Simple Food - it's not veggie, but I find it has lots of useful recipes and they can often be modified and used as base recipes. Also making lots of bread lately - so Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. Borrowed the healthy bread one, bought the regular one - I like the regular one better.
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Lorna Sass. Once you get the hang of beans in the pressure cooker (and have her charts for reference), you can adapt all kids of recipes.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I just tried black beans in my pressure cooker. They tasted great, but a lot of them split...but was making black bean burgers, so it really didn't matter.

Hubs and I went from having meat every night, to seafood once, meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb) once or twice and veg four times a week. Although, I am not particularly strict on my vegetarian criteria...Pasta with prosciutto is ok, LOL!

I love to cook and get many of my recipes from epicurious.com and a host of foodie mags that show up at my house every month, but they are a little short on veg meals.
    Mary

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Recipes from a non-profit sports organization, which includes some vegetarian:

http://www.sportmedbc.com/recipesAll.php
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by mraguirre View Post
    I just tried black beans in my pressure cooker. They tasted great, but a lot of them split...
    Most of the splitting happens if you use a quick method to release the pressure ... especially if you haven't soaked the beans in advance.

If you're used to using a quick-release method, try reducing the cooking time by 4 minutes and letting the pressure come down naturally. Hardly any beans split when I do it that way. And I always soak them. At a minimum I'll start them in the morning, usually overnight.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by mraguirre View Post
    Although, I am not particularly strict on my vegetarian criteria...Pasta with prosciutto is ok, LOL!
    Just claim to be Spanish In is joked that in Spain, bacon is a vegetable as you'll often find bacon in the "vegetarian" bean soup. For some to cook without it, is like me telling them not to use oil. It is a kitchen staple.

Despite having more cookbooks than most people have books in their house, I still find that I rely most on my Moosewood and Horn of the Moon books. I like food with a lot of flavor and some cookbooks are just too bland for me even after doubling or tripling the herbs and spices.

I dabble in the kitchen and make soups for lunches, but DH is the chef in the house. He spends a lot of time perfecting recipes (me, I toss stuff together and if it is good, I'm happy, but I know I'll never get it right again). He tends to spend a lot of time surfing the web and combining recipes. So, no one good source.

He'll also adapt meat recipes. There was a cooking school show on the Food Channel and the students were taught Chocolate Chicken. It was a baked dish and he adapted it using seitan (mmmm). Another show had a pepper encrusted something with a flavorful brandy-based sauce. Turns out you can pepper encrust tofu and it tastes pretty good.

As long as the recipe is not a simply cooked meat, if it sounds good, adapt it.

vegweb.com

We kind of just wanted to eat less meat, not really avoid it like the plague. So chicken stock is fine, bacon, prosciutto...stuff like that.

I requested many of the books mentioned here from the library. I look forward to going through them!
    Mary

I like 101cookbooks.com, all the recipes are vegetarian and make my mouth water just looking at the pics! I've made a lot of things from it and all are great. The savory zucchini cheesecake is quite wonderful.
    2009 Cannondale Synapse Feminine 4/Specialized Ruby 143
    1996 Bianchi Eros/Specialized Ariel SL

The vegetarian times website has a lot of good vegetarian recipes.

I like the Moosewood Low-fat cookbook. I made their lentil salad last night, and it was excellent.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
    Just claim to be Spanish In is joked that in Spain, bacon is a vegetable as you'll often find bacon in the "vegetarian" bean soup. For some to cook without it, is like me telling them not to use oil. It is a kitchen staple.

Despite having more cookbooks than most people have books in their house, I still find that I rely most on my Moosewood and Horn of the Moon books. I like food with a lot of flavor and some cookbooks are just too bland for me even after doubling or tripling the herbs and spices.

I dabble in the kitchen and make soups for lunches, but DH is the chef in the house. He spends a lot of time perfecting recipes (me, I toss stuff together and if it is good, I'm happy, but I know I'll never get it right again). He tends to spend a lot of time surfing the web and combining recipes. So, no one good source.

He'll also adapt meat recipes. There was a cooking school show on the Food Channel and the students were taught Chocolate Chicken. It was a baked dish and he adapted it using seitan (mmmm). Another show had a pepper encrusted something with a flavorful brandy-based sauce. Turns out you can pepper encrust tofu and it tastes pretty good.

As long as the recipe is not a simply cooked meat, if it sounds good, adapt it.

Adaptation is the spice of life, a healthy life. I'm not vegetarian, just eat a whole lot less meat. I didn't realize how little meat I ate (or shall I say, reduced gradually over past 2 decades) until we went to Europe this summer. In some areas, it was just tough to get diverse, healthy veggie dishes without paying an arm and a leg.

I do have a Moosewood cookbook, an earlier edition. It's been gathering dust for awhile.

I just fall back on his salads which he's good at making off the top of his head and also I rely on making veggie dishes and their variations from family/childhood memory plus a few recipes tried over the years that have mutated into 3-5 different delicious versions.

These magazine websites have some vegetarian alternatives (but also meat in other cases):

Eating Well
    Cooking Light

I will admit that we use on average yearly...about less than 10 recipes. The rest we just take off from established recipes and invent.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 07-08-2010 at 03:50 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Quote Originally Posted by softthings View Post
    vegweb.com
    Love Vegweb!

Moosewood cookbook from the late '70s
    Laurel's Kitchen.

If you are overrun with zucchini or other kinds of squahs try zucchini pancake for dinner. ITS THAT TIME OF THE YEAR!!! And lock your car else you may find a sack full of zucchini clubs c/o your neighbor!!

1 whole egg
    egg white of one egg
    2 TBS of vegetable oil
    2TBS of goat cheese

1/3 cup minced yellow onion
    1 clove of garlic minced
    1/2 cup AP flour
    1tsp baking powder
    1-1/2 cup shredded squash (squeeze out excess liquid)

mix together first four ingredients. add the remaining ingredients. Mix until its all together. Don't over mix.

heat skillet preferably a cast iron. coat the skillet with light layer of oil. drop in the batter and spread it out until its about 1/4 inch thick. cook both sides like a pancake.

Serve with salsa or with ketchup.

Other simple veggie dish we like are: flafal, Indian Samosa.