Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Central Coast Double

To disable ads, please log-in.

I finished.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

woo hoo
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

but of course ! how was it?? details, details!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Thumbs up

BRILLIANT!!!

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Yay V!

Tell us something new and interesting - you finishing a double is getting to be old news!

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    I finished.
    You are on the hook for a report!!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

209.7 miles
    13,200 ft. elev. gain
    11,659 cal. burned

I went into this ride kind of nervous about whether or not I could complete it. I don't feel like I have trained enough hills and distance this year. Most of my rides have been one or the other, not both.

Central Coast is a great ride, very well supported, gorgeous scenery.

We left at 5:40 and were not required to have lights. I was riding with Homey from BJ. He stayed with me the whole day. It was great to have someone to talk to and we chatted about everything from training for RAAM to TE.

Once out of Paso Robles you start climbing. The first couple of climbs aren't bad. About twenty-five miles in you climb up Santa Rosa Creek Road. Just before the summit there is a section of 21%. I was thrilled that I was able to stay seated for the whole climb. The first rest stop was at the summit and I had my first Red Bull. The descent off Santa Rosa Creek is very twisty and bumpy. It was a blast!

Once you arrive out in Cambria, you ride up the coast for about 40 miles. This section of Rte. 1 starts off with long shallow rollers, but towards the end they became much steeper. The second rest stop was at Ragged Point. On one of the descents after this, we rolled through a swarm of bees. At this point I was riding with Homey and another guy named Ira. Fortunately none of us were stung.

The third rest stop was just before the climb up Nacimiento-Ferguson. I finally took off my jacket and buff, switched to short fingered gloves. This climb was a bear. The average grade for the 7.5 miles is 7%. But the bottom is much steeper than the top. The first two miles are in the 10 -12% range, the last two miles are 5 - 6 %.

My knees were kind of achy on this climb and I didn't work it nearly as hard as I could have. My average HR was only 162. Maybe I wasn't eating enough. I heard someone call this climb Nasty Mental Rd. It's true. It was nasty. Amazing views though to keep your mind occupied.

Another great descent after this climb. Then rollers to the lunch stop on the Hunter-Liggett Base. After lunch there is a nasty little climb, mostly in the sun. The downhill after it ends with a gate across the road that you lift your bike over.

We then turned into the wind for about 7 miles. My stomach was kind of bothering me now. I was happy when we turned out of the wind towards San Lucas. This section had a few little climbs, but was overall fairly flat. Just before the next climb, there was a water stop and I had another Red Bull. We climbed up a rather narrow canyon. I just about jumped out of skin when we heard a gun go off. The horses on the side of the road didn't much like it either.

At the next rest stop, Lockwood, I picked up my light battery. It was 6:20. We had a fairly flat, fast section and then some big rollers. We saw some wild pigs, followed within minutes by wild turkeys. And then we saw some wild cows.

This section was hard. The headwind had picked up and the climbs got harder again. Jesse left drinks for us at the top of the last big climb. I think I should get stock in Red Bull. I got really cold on the first big descent, shivering uncontrollably. At the stop sign at the bottom I put on my last jacket and my buff. That helped a lot. We descended a lot more and then headed across a mesa towards 101. It was so windy up here. I thought I was going to lose a contact. I got into Homey's draft and stayed there until the next rest stop at Bradley.

Just as we were about to roll into Bradley, my headlight conked out. Thom was there and it crossed my mind, that gee with no light I couldn't go on. It was promptly followed by the thought that there were only 30 more miles. I had two other people offer me a light. Thom checked it and it was just that the connector was loose.

After Bradley there was a five mile climb with 2 - 3% & grade. This was followed by downward tending rollers to the finish. I don't know if it was the last Red Bull I had, the tailwind we now had, or just wanting to be done, but I was hauling through this section. It was great to finish feeling strong, especially since I had felt kind of icky for the middle third.

This ride showed me that I am not ready for Terrible Two - an extreme double. I won't be able to make the cut off. But I realized that, yes I really am capable of completing these hard doubles.

Thom took a lot of pictures and I'll post some later. I need to go eat again.

V.
    Last edited by Veronica; 05-13-2007 at 07:07 PM.

TandemHearts.com

Utah, Gateway to Nevada, not to be confused with Idaho
    Great report, V. Sounds like a great ride. You are a superstar!!!

great report! I can't wait to see pictures!!

this ride is definitely on the list for next year...
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Yep, great report! You are mentally tough.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Way to go !

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Determination is your middle name. Congratulations once again.

Isn't Homey just a great guy?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post

Isn't Homey just a great guy?

Oh my god! He is so funny, nice, helpful, etc., etc. Poor guy, every time we pulled into a rest stop people were giving him a hard time about how late he was.

V.

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    Oh my god! He is so funny, nice, helpful, etc., etc. Poor guy, every time we pulled into a rest stop people were giving him a hard time about how late he was.

V.
    Congratulations V!!

Your friend sounds like a lovely guy.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V