Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: CRIKEY!!! Steve Irwin's DEAD!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay. It's not cycling but it's sad.

It's breaking news over here... So you guys will probably hear about it soon...

Steve Irwin is dead! Stabbed through the heart with a STING RAY barb.

Over here you either loved him or thought he was a total idiot. But It's sad that he's gone. It's sad that his kids Bindi and Bob don't have a dad any more and that Australia Zoo's main attraction is gone.

I think the Aussie Bush is going to suffer the most out of this. He was one of the most vocal conservationists in this country and as a cyclist and someone who loves just getting LOST in rainforrests I thank him for that.

Rest in Peace Mate

Here's the FIRST report of his death. The one that sent our YAHOO and MSN sites into a server meltdown 30mins ago...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...34-952,00.html
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

Kitsune06 Guest
    Oh my God! I watched his show a lot as a kid!

That's really sad...

...though a lot of what he did seemed to be risky...

geez. Mom liked him a lot...

unreal, banana peel!
    he was an absolute nutter....and i couldn't stand him..but still, poor bloke. Least he karked it doing what he loved doing most.

oops

My heart goes out to his family.

No matter how much i cringed every time i saw him on tv, light is correct when she said
    I think the Aussie Bush is going to suffer the most out of this. He was one of the most vocal conservationists in this country and as a cyclist and someone who loves just getting LOST in rainforrests I thank him for that.
    Matey, australia & the other creatures out there... will miss ya.

c

I just heard the story on the TV news.
    Yes, he could be annoying at times. But he was an advocate for the environment. I visited Australia Zoo a few years ago and found it fun & educational. He had some great ideas for protecting the aussie bush.
    I can't help but feel sorry for the two kids, who are now without a dad.

Being attacked by a stingray? How freaky is that.
    Last edited by enzed; 09-04-2006 at 12:27 AM.

Wow, I can't believe it- he was my hero!!
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

It's a shame when someone who champions the environment is lost, by whatever means. However, it must be said that Steve Irwin was a bit of a tosser. He thought (in contradistinction to great nature documentary makers like Richard Attenborough) that he had to perform like an idiot to get people to watch. He has been reported numerous times for poor practices around animals (his son around a crocodile, himself around whales, seals et al) which, unfortunately, often diffused the message. To be stabbed by a stingray in the torso you would have to be doing someting quite unusual in terms of the stingray's orbit. When fishermen sustain bites (the most common victims) it is usually in the limbs, most often when the rays are accidentally hauled in the nets. These bites (stabbings) are rarely fatal. There have been around 17 known deaths in Australia from stingrays, all of them pierced in the torso (which has the same effect as being stabbed by a harpoon with the added bonus of a toxic poison). For this to occur, you basically have to be swimming directly above them or trying to ride them, either of which will p*ss the ray off. Irwin's history and the stingray's habits would indicate that he perhaps wasn't being as responsible or respectful as he should have been. Considering that the doco he was shooting was called 'The Ocean's Deadliest', you'd think that he would have been a tad more cautious... I am so sorry for his wife and children (backpacking in the Tasmanian mountains at the time) - Bindi (daughter, around 8) is apparently a wild life fanatic.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! his poor wife and those GORGEOUS kids of his..... this breaks my heart...........

thanx for posting it....

I was sad when I read the news...

When my kids were little and I was working nights and staying up ALL day with them the Croky Guy used to buy me a half hour of sleep on the couch while they watched his show. I did think he was a little nutters though.

karen
    Quitting is NOT an option!
    Know the signs of stroke!! www.stroke.org

I used to watch his show all the time. I thought he was a nut case at times, but obviously those of us that don't work with animals would think some of his actions as being nuts.
    He knew what he was doing even if he did showcase about it. I'm just suprised that it was a stingray, from what I have learned about them, it takes quite a bit to upset them to the point they would spear you.
    I guess only those that were with him will ever know the whole truth about how or what caused it to happen. Because if he was doing something crazy, then I don't think anyone will tell. Sometimes, it's just your time, no matter how careful you are trying to be.
    I feel for his family, and my thoughts will be with them.

I was so sorry to hear of his death. I always enjoyed his extraordinary enthusiasm. I think of his kids and his wife, first of all. I hope others will pick up his banner of conservation and carry his mission forward.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

It's a sad thing. Obviously quite an unusual happening. I read one article that stated they were filming when it happened, so I think they know exactly what he was doing. It's sad that we've lost a great supporter of conservation and that he leaves behind his wife and two kids.

I'm going to miss him, and I have to figure out how to break it to my younger son, who LOVES animal planet.

I am upclose and personal with stingrays every other week, and although they are used to people, they are still wild animals and unpredicitble. I'm always cautious about where they are in relation to myself. I never set down a knee or foot without looking before I do so. (I work at an aquarium).

We'll miss you Steve!
    Whoever said last man standing wins never asked a girl to play!

What a loss, I feel so bad for his family.

One thing I always loved about him was how he took the very animals we are terrified of and taught us how interesting they really are...he replaced fear with knowledge and curiosity. RIP Steve

Electra Townie 7D

How very sad. My boys loved watching him! I feel so sad for his wife, daughter, and son.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Very sad.

I never saw his show or his movies or anything, but saw a lot of spoofs of him. So once I started reading the article I figured out who he was. Of course, when I first read it I though a PERSON had picked up a stingray barb and stabbed him with it! (Cuz i couldn't imagine how on earth a person could get into a situation where the ray would do it.)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson