Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Returning a Giro Helmet after a fall

To disable ads, please log-in.

Has anyone had any experience returning a Giro Helmet after a fall? I've heard that you can return it and they'll send you another one for free (I've also heard for $20). I have/had the Giro Atmos. I bought another one already becuase I absolutely love them! But was wondering if I could get money back, etc.

I went to their website and that was absolutely no help. I also called Wheel and Sprocket and they said to contact the vendor directly, no help.

Can anyone help me?

thank you!

Roshelle from Milwaukee
    http://wisconsinbetties.blogspot.com/

The info is available on the Giro website. I've taken screen shots of the relevant info and will include them here.

I found this by going to the Giro website at http://www.giro.com/main.html. I selected Giro info (on the left), then FAQ.

Wait - looking at these as attachments is a pain in the butt. I'm going to go ahead and type the info here. (The quote below was copied directly from the Giro web site as it existed on September 1, 2006.)
    DOES GIRO HAVE A CRASH REPLACEMENT PROGRAM?
    Giro is interested in you safety and in advancing our state-of-the art in head protection. If your helmet is involved in an accident you may be able to get a credit toward a new helmet from Giro by doing the following:

Send us:
    a. Your damaged helmet;
    b. A copy of your dated cash register receipt;
    c. A letter describing your accident (in as much detail as possible)

Ship to:
    GIRO
    Consumer Service
    1924 County Road, 3000 North
    Rantoul, IL 61866

If you have any questions about this program please call us at (800) 456-2355 or email us at feedback@giro.com. Crash replacement program is available to U.S. customers only. Customers outside the U.S. should call (8000) 456-2355 or e-mail us for information on the crash replacement program applicable to them. Remember: NEVER wear a helmet thats been involved in an accident.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giro1.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	1354   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giro2.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	1355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	giro3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	1356  
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 09-01-2006 at 09:33 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Doh!

I was searching under helmets, I can't believe I didn't go to FAQ . Thank you so very much for helping me through my brain malfunction!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roshelle from Milwaukee
    http://wisconsinbetties.blogspot.com/

Well, considering the design of the web site I'm not surprised that it didn't jump out at you. Sometimes folks seem to be more focused on splash and less on usability when they design their sites.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

It's kinda an interesting idea. I bet it benefits them cause they can do research on the used helmet to see where any damage occurred and any possible weak points in the helmets design. As any scientist/engineer knows, the only true proof of concept is in real life experiences. And the consumer benefits cause they get a new helmet!
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

I've crashed a few helmets. One was a Giro. I took it back to my LBS. They gave me a new one. I'm not sure what they did with my old one. I don't think this is Giro's regular policy, but I'm lucky that my LBS takes very good care of me!
    Bork Bork, Hork Hork!!

I broke a Giro Atmos earlier this year, but I don't have a reciept for it, so I never bothered to send it in. In any case the Specialized helmet that I had to pick up since I was out of town for a race when I broke my Giro seems to be better shaped for my head so I'm sticking with it.
    Last edited by Eden; 09-01-2006 at 01:59 PM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I crashed in my Gire E2 last December. I contacted Giro about their replacement policy. I was given a 30% discount on any Giro helmet, directly through them and did not have to send in my helmet. To prevent someone from using the helmet I was told to cut the straps before throwing it out. It was a quick and easy process. You will need the information from the laben inside the helmet.

Kerry

I guess the UK policy may be different from the US one, but when I crashed my Giro I had to send in my crashed helmet, a copy of the receipt for said helmet (which, amazingly enough, I had squirreled away), a cheque for half the retail value of my helmet and a detailed account of how the crash occurred. Then they send back the same model of helmet or an equivalent if they no longer make that model.

I think they must have liked my story, eh - they never cashed my cheque.
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.