Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Essential winter commuting clothing/gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was just looking at the Terry catalog I got in the mail and started wondering what warm clothes I need to start collecting for winter commuting. Does anyone have any favorite warm jackets, tights, underwear, shoe covers, gloves etc that will help make commuting through the winter bearable?

Tights with windproof front panel. Windproof but breathable jacket. Helmet liner or balaclava. Neoprene booties. Lobster claw windproof mittens.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Did you see the movie, Shrek??
    I tell my friend and fellow commuter...."Be like an Ogre...an Ogre is like an onion. They got LAYERS!!!!"

Ditto on the lob-stah gloves and shoe covers. Balaclavas are good...I also put a reflective helmet cover on (I'm a regular glowing vision in the winter....I don't want to give anyone any excuses that the didn't see me).

I have a Decente Shelter jacket that I like. Let see if this link works:
    http://www.coloradocyclist.com/commo...801&TextMode=0

I once read that ... if you are warm in the first 10 minutes of your ride on a cold day...you are dressed too warmly.
    Last edited by 7rider; 08-23-2006 at 07:46 AM.

Were I live I get by with arm and leg warmers (sometimes only knee warmers or 3/4 knicks) It's always very DRY during winter here so windproof rather than waterproof is ideal. Basically get the gear that matches your climate of winter. If you live in a desert area it's unlikely you'll need waterproof stuff. etc etc...

however!
    Full fingered gloves are a must!!! Your fingers get the BRUNT of the cold wind so cover them up.
    It doesn't get that all that cold here but I was so SORE from the cold I'll be updating my glove collection when they go on sale soon. lol (winter's almost over in OZ)

Ear warmers... headband or beanie. My poor little ears were so windburnt and cold commuting in winter.
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

oooo good thread! Considering I live in Chicago I'm going to do my best to commute through the winter. I may be involuntarily committed by my friends though.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"

wool!
    I wear some older cashmere sweaters (no longer pretty) as teeshirts under other bike stuff. You can buy this stuff at goodwill or salvation army if you don't have any old sweaters of your own...

And of course I just bought the ibex wool knickers... and then i always wear wool sox, all year round. I also have a light wool pair of long johns...

Then... booties... these are nice... I wear them all winter.

Then there are these little cap things that fit nicely under your helmet..
    they keep in heat like you wouldn't believe. I used to wear bulkier stuff
    but this works just as well and fits better.

lastly, OVER your nice bike gloves get some of those really fluffy black gloves. They are made of fleece. until you warm up (if you do) they will save your hands from misery and numbness.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

oh, one more thing; and this is the cardinal rule in Seattle, so it is good to know.
    LAYER
    LAYER
    LAYER
    LAYER

wear lots of layers, then you can take stuff off when it gets too warm..
    stow in pack in back and when it gets cold again, you can put it back on..
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Smile wool

Wool worn in layers or wool and other types of fabric layered are a good winter combination. Rivendell has wool shirts for layering and others do also. When I had a 26 mile commute(total) I found with wool and a lightweight jacket was a pretty warm combo for the top and tights that have a double type fabric worn under jeans or by themselves seemed pretty good bottom layer. I also use sometimes winter bicycling boots and they are toasty and maybe a little to toasty. I wear a wool hat and sometimes a headband under the wool hat if it is really chilly. Enjoy your winter commutes.

Smartwool

gloves and if it is colder worn under windbreaker gloves.

Kitsune06 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina
    Did you see the movie, Shrek??
    I tell my friend and fellow commuter...."Be like an Ogre...an Ogre is like an onion. They got LAYERS!!!!"
    To further quote Shrek:
    A commuter in hot weather wearing sweat-soaked wool will also be like an ogre...
    "They make people cry?"
    "Yes, they... Wait... No.... Layers!!"

I bought a pair of Sporthill Pursuit tights last winter and they are super for cold weather.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=11618

They have no chamois, I wear them over my regular cycling shorts.

Their sizing is a bit different than other manufacturers, I ordinarily wear a M in shorts but I ordered the tights in size L and they fit great.

Ear warmers... headband or beanie. My poor little ears were so windburnt and cold commuting in winter.
    cold...in Brisbane?! c'monnnn......try moving south for the winter. Please don't tell me you'd wear earwarmers in 10C!!
    ok...then how bout we swap..I'll move to Brissy and you give Melbourne a try

Quote Originally Posted by postiechic
    Please don't tell me you'd wear earwarmers in 10C!!
    ok...then how bout we swap..I'll move to Brissy and you give Melbourne a try
    I haven't yet but my ears were freezing. So yeah I'll give it a go. lol Better than a BEANIE right??

Trust me Postie... I'd rather not! lol It's not cold during the day but in the morning it's cold... Not as cold as there! GEEZ last time I went I caught a tram to bridge road... FREEZING, walked straight into a sass and bide discount outlet spent 200 bucks on shirts, woolen jumpers and work pants... then walked into the nearest loo and put them all on over the top of what I was already wearing. Nah thanks.

lol Like I said, Armies, Knee warmers and long fingered gloves for up here in the winter. And a headband. ^_^ That'll be my kit out next winter. Right now even though officially it's winter I'm kitted out in my sleeveless Jersey! God only knows what Summer's gonna be like 0_0
    @LIGHTSABE*R(::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Beginner Triathlete Log

evil cackle

*evil cackle* *evil cackle*

Heheehehehe....winter awaits you my pretties...hehehehehheeh

May the snow force be with you...

Light-what are you on about it being cold in brissie...It's not cold in aust...go to my hometown in Canada in the middle of winter & you'll understand cold. Or you could trade places with CWR...

summer awaits me...

c

Heheehehehe....winter awaits you my pretties...hehehehehheeh
    See that's not nice I noticed you're in western Australia. So, not knowing any other cities in western Australia I looked up average high's and lows in Perth.

According to weather.com, August is listed as the coldest month for Perth, January for Chicago.

Average August Hi/Lo in Perth: 64F/46F (18C/8C)
    Average January Hi/Lo for Chicago: 31F/16F (-1C/-9C)

What's your hometown in Canada? I went to toronto in November once and about died. It was just a whole other level of cold.

Gee, who "wins" that competition? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Ok, not thinking about it. It's still August.
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"