Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Home made energy "gel"?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with making their own energy gel that could be delivered through a flask. Any problems? Is it even advisable?
    Thanks!

Regina

Kitsune06 Guest
    okay... this has no real basis beyond my own meandering experiences,
    but reading the back of Hammer gel indicates longchain maltodextrins to be used....
    I wonder if these are of the same beginnings as the malt syrup one buys in gallon tubs for maybe $10 each for home beer brewing? Could one then, theoretically, take this malt syrup (not as sweet as you'd think...) and mix in fruit juice concentrates and other ingredients found in Hammer etc gels to make a gel themselves?

Also:
    for gel with caffiene, would it be possible to heat and dissolve nodoz into it? That sounds significantly more risky than malt syrup and fruit juices, but some people really need their kick... =P

Like gel.
    Hate flasks.

I can't seem to carry one without its spilling all over: my camera, wallet, all over rear pocket....if I can't mount it on the handlebars where do I put the &^% thing so it won't spill all over?

Who here suggested in the logical spot the sports bra?
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420
    I can't seem to carry one without its spilling all over: my camera, wallet, all over rear pocket....if I can't mount it on the handlebars where do I put the &^% thing so it won't spill all over?
    Dita, Dita, Dita. First, they make a great little top tube mount for gel flasks -- let me know if you want me to order one for you. Forget that! I think I have one sitting in my cupboard -- remind me to give it to you at BATO.

Now, if you just close the top of the flask with your teeth when you take a dose, it won't spill on anything. Just gotta keep it closed.

I live on flasks since I get all my calories from drinks and gels. I carry two on long rides -- one on shorter rides.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek420
    Like gel.
    Hate flasks.

Who here suggested in the logical spot the sports bra?
    I don't think I'd have enough space to carry one in the sports bra!

My problem with the flask is mine seems to pinch my lips when I try to close it. It is rather messy, but I like the economy of scale with it.

RE: the comment on malt from home brewing...
    Hmmmmmm....if it sits in the jersey pocket long enough with some sugar, can it ferment into beer? I have some yeast in the fridge! That would make for an interesting carbo load!

My husband considered trying it, but never got around to it. I can stomach some flavors of GU and its on sale often enough. You can purchase the main ingredient, maltodextrin, fairly inexpensively from health food stores I think - or places that carry suplements maybe. In any case I know that you can get it in bulk online. I think it comes in powder form. You'd just have to figure out a way to get the flavoring you might want into it - and any other extras you might want.

Actually I was thinking (and wondering) if anyone has cola flavored energy gel? I think that might go down OK for me - better than the sick fruit flavors or chocolate (chocolate GU makes me gag) that a lot of them seem to be based on. Maybe I should try getting some maltodextrin and some cola syrups to try making my own. I'm thinking cola and ginger ale flavors would be tummy soothing and still have a nice kick.

edit: I've answered my own question - Cliff makes a cola flavor, maybe I'll have to give that a try. They base their energy gels on brown rice syrup rathern than maltodextrin. I'm thinking that would also be pretty easy to get at a health food store or natural food store.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Eden, Clif Shot has an energy gel called Cola Buzzz. I've never tried it, but had a friend who did. I've never seen anyone spit something out and run to rinse her mouth so fast! Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so it's worth a try. I happen to love the chocolate GU that you loath.
    If you can read this, take a pull.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieK
    Eden, Clif Shot has an energy gel called Cola Buzzz. I've never tried it, but had a friend who did. I've never seen anyone spit something out and run to rinse her mouth so fast! Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so it's worth a try. I happen to love the chocolate GU that you loath.
    Its not that I think chocolate GU tastes bad -kind of like chocolate frosting- but during a race, its so thick that I can't swallow it. It sticks in my throat so much that it interferes with my breathing. I need a thinner gel to be able to get it down. Banana and vanilla bean are my current favorites, but I know lots of people who can't stand the banana. I think it tastes kind of like banana pudding if you really stretch your imagination.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

What about plain old honey? That's the main ingredient for the Stinger products, so it should work just fine.

I've made my own that I like alright... still working on a recipe... But, I've gotten a jar of brown rice syrup from the local grocery store, mixed about 4 oz of it with a tbsp or so of pure vanilla, a bit of chocolate protein powder and thin it to your desired consistency with water... and then I also throw in about a 1/4 tsp of morton lite salt or whatever. It seems to taste okay to me... you can tweak the flavorings to your liking...

Kitsune06 Guest
    I would think the maltodextrin combined with brn. rice syrup, some fruit syrups or 'essence' (the sugar free syrups you can get at brew shops, maybe) or the cola syrup (same) might work. I'd be hesitant on the protein powder until post-workout- it might get glooby.

Quote Originally Posted by velogirl
    Dita, Dita, Dita. First, they make a great little top tube mount for gel flasks -- let me know if you want me to order one for you. Forget that! I think I have one sitting in my cupboard -- remind me to give it to you at BATO.

Now, if you just close the top of the flask with your teeth when you take a dose, it won't spill on anything. Just gotta keep it closed.

I live on flasks since I get all my calories from drinks and gels. I carry two on long rides -- one on shorter rides.

so do you not carry food with you? If no: what do you carry and how often do you ingest?

I'm curious because I'm always on the lookout for alternatives.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Save the Date Sept 10th.

velogirl "Forget that! I think I have one sitting in my cupboard -- remind me to give it to you at BATO."

So Velogal, you're going to be there this year? Not schedual a clients coaching session that day? hee hee.

"I live on flasks since I get all my calories from drinks and gels. I carry two on long rides -- one on shorter rides."

Course, I think she's kidding. You are kidding right? I've seen you eat real food
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Eden

http://tinyurl.com/o96sx

I don't know of a cola-flavored gel, but Crank Sports makes a Mountain Dew-flavored gel that is delicious (for me).
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by Nanci
    http://tinyurl.com/o96sx

I don't know of a cola-flavored gel, but Crank Sports makes a Mountain Dew-flavored gel that is delicious (for me).
    cool thanks - I'll have to see if I can find some of that to sample. The cherry bomb sounds like it might be good too so long as it doesn't taste like cough syrup...

You never know. The Hammer Gel flavors sound like they ought to be good too, but they have a nasty chemical flavor ick, ick, ick