Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just went to the FAA/TSA website. Good news, I can take my iPod with me. W00-hoo!!!

But I thought this list was interesting:

Due to increased security measures, TSA has made changes to the prohibited items list.

All liquids and gels – including shampoo, toothpaste, perfume, hair gel, suntan lotion and all other items with similar consistency ARE PROHIBITED from carry-on baggage and the security checkpoint. Please pack these items in your checked baggage. Carrying liquids of any sort to the screening checkpoint will cause you delays, and will most likely result in the item being confiscated.

Don’t let a prohibited item ruin your trip. You are permitted to travel with most items, but you must put them in your luggage and check them with your airline. Certain items are prohibited from carry-on luggage for the overall security of air travelers. Prohibited items obviously include weapons, explosives, and incendiaries, but also items that are seemingly harmless and may be used as weapons like hammers, bats, or mace. You may not bring these items to security checkpoints

Who thinks a mace is harmless??????

I also checked the ban liquids list - I carry alot of that stuff in my purse - such as hand lotion/santitizer, toothpaste, etc. Guess my purse will be fairly empty - just my iPod, wallet, cell phone and glasses.
    BCIpam - Nature Girl

I read that they have relaxed some of the prohibition standards and now allow small amounts of liquid medicines (including over the counter stuff), solid lipsticks, which I would assume would include chapstick, and baby food. That last item was extremely important to my son and daughter-in-law since they're flying out on Wednesday with my 10 month old grandson who would probably NOT be quiet if he had to go over 3 1/2 hours with no food. He's quite the chow-hound

I leave in the morning for Alaska and except for the water prohibition don't have an issue with anything. I've been pulled out of line more than once for additional screening. I must have "that" look since I'm a 5'1" woman, usually very casually dressed and carrying practically nothing more than a book and my purse which is barely large enough to hold a wallet and checkbook.

This is apparently the world we have to live in today. (I'm not even going to expand on that by bringing in my opinions on the current administration).
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by caligurl
    however COMPLAINING is not a federal offense...
    Good thing, too, or I'd be locked up for life!

mtkitchen: one word: WARPED! HAhahahahhhabwahhahahahaha!

OK, the eye drop thing. Do I think it's more important than reducing the terrorist threat? No. Do I just not want to have really dry eyes when I spent $4,000 last year having them operated on? Yes! That's all. Still not a federal offense, right?! Glad to hear eye drops are back off the list. I would not try to smuggle them (or anything else) on a plane--not that important, and really makes me look suspicious.

One time a TSA official questioned me closely about my hair color. On driver's license, one color. On head, different color. Like, not so grey, more blonde. "Yes", I told her. "I dye my hair." It was wierd. She let me through.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

When I flew to San Diego in January, I was pulled from line and searched, including a pat down, before I boarded the plane in San Jose. Later I learned it was because I had changed my flight reservations 24 hrs before my trip.

TSA workers in SJ aren't nearly as friendly as those in the commuter terminal at San Diego. I had quite a nice chat, including laughing about why I was pulled, while they searched my luggage (no pat down that time, just "the wand")

WOW Lise! I may be pulled over too since my license says my hair is brown, but my current color(s) are brown, blond and purple. (You'll have to take my word for it...it's done very tastefully).
    Vertically challenged, but expanding my horizons.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen
    When I flew to San Diego in January, I was pulled from line and searched, including a pat down, before I boarded the plane in San Jose. Later I learned it was because I had changed my flight reservations 24 hrs before my trip.

TSA workers in SJ aren't nearly as friendly as those in the commuter terminal at San Diego. I had quite a nice chat, including laughing about why I was pulled, while they searched my luggage (no pat down that time, just "the wand")
    Great, I'm flying to Japan in a couple weeks and my passport has my maiden name! It was OK for my last trip, but this increased security is making me a little nervous. Maybe I'll bring the original marriage license, instead of a photo-copy, this time.

For girls with contacts, you can always use saliva to re-wet them. I've had situations where I had to get the contact out and didn't have anything, but saliva worked. It's not he greatest, a little disgusting, but it gets the job done!

Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    Great, I'm flying to Japan in a couple weeks and my passport has my maiden name! It was OK for my last trip, but this increased security is making me a little nervous. Maybe I'll bring the original marriage license, instead of a photo-copy, this time.

For girls with contacts, you can always use saliva to re-wet them. I've had situations where I had to get the contact out and didn't have anything, but saliva worked. It's not he greatest, a little disgusting, but it gets the job done!
    Hey Salsa, get your passport updated, they ARE getting really strict!!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

from the NY TIMES

you don't have to use racial profiling to make an airport safe. Read about the experiment they did in Dulles airport a few years ago. I'm not allowed to include the whole article, but you'll get the drift:

http://select.nytimes.com/2006/08/15...ierney.html?hp

The Dulles experiment was radical even in 2003, when airport screeners
    thought nothing of making passengers wait while they searched Grandma's
    purse for nail scissors. But a few experts wondered if there was a better
    use of everyone's time.

The screeners at Dulles stopped worrying about pen knives, shoes and
    laptops, allowing passengers to pass through more quickly. The speed of the
    line increased by nearly a third. The screening process required fewer
    workers, but they detected more problems because they worked smarter.

Instead of looking for things, they looked at people. Borrowing techniques
    from Israeli airports and the U.S. Customs Service, screeners observed a
    passenger as he entered the airport, checked luggage and stood in line at
    the security checkpoint.

The screeners were looking for unusual behavior like sweating, rigid
    posture, clenched fists. A screener would engage a passenger in conversation
    and ask questions he wouldn't have been trained to expect, like whether he'd
    seen a Redskins game the night before even though the Redskins hadn't
    played.

The screeners were looking for telltale body language of someone trying too
    hard to act natural. When they spotted it, they singled out that person for
    interrogation, a pat-down and a luggage search. The screeners caught no
    terrorists, but they consistently found people with something to hide, often
    a forged visa, a stolen airline ticket, drugs or other smuggled goods.

Scott McHugh, who oversaw the Dulles program for the Transportation Security
    Administration, is confident this type of screening would have flagged the
    Sept. 11 terrorists or the latest plotters in London. "If you look at the
    videos of 9/11 terrorists and the interviews with people who talked to
    them," he says, "they all exhibit symptoms of stress that would have been
    identified, like failure to make eye contact and failure to answer questions
    directly. They're not exactly sophisticated. They're under so much stress
    that anything out of the ordinary really throws them off their game."
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    Hey Salsa, get your passport updated, they ARE getting really strict!!
    I know, I've been trying to figure out what to do. My trip is less than 2 weeks away, so I can't expedite it. There are places you can go for quicker service, the closest one is like a 4 or 5 hour drive, and of course, they're only open on during the week. Hmmm....maybe it's worth it. Like I said, last time I went to Japan, no questions were asked, they didn't even look at my marriage license. Now, though, I'm a bit nervous!

Mimitabby, very interesting info about the observation of passengers for signs of stress. For about two years after 9/11, I was so nervous in airports that I might well have been pulled out of line. I wasn't nervous about flying--I accept that when my time comes, I'll go. But I was afraid I'd answer the questions "wrong" somehow. I have nothing to hide! What a goof.

My sister lived in Israel for 15 years, and I flew there three times. The Israelis are not playing around. They grilled me, coming and going. I have a Germanic name--back in the 80s there was terrorism coming out of Germany. I was a young, blonde, non-Jewish American--I could easily have been wooed and deceived by a charming terrorist who hid something on me or convinced me to carry something. My young blonde American sister lived there. Why? Good questions, all. A little nerve wracking, but hey, I'll fly the Israeli carrier, ElAl, any day! With or without eyedrops.
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Sigh... I just read that now it is THE LAW that they xray your shoes even though the xrays do not find the bombs in shoes.

http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaind...120.xml&coll=2

Report: X-rays unable to detect shoe explosives

Tuesday, August 15, 2006
    Leslie Miller
    Associated Press

Washington -- X-ray machines used to screen passengers' shoes are unable to detect explosives, according to a Homeland Security Department report on aviation screening.

Findings from the report did not stop the Transportation Security Administration from announcing Sunday that all airline passengers must remove their shoes and run them through X-ray machines before boarding commercial aircraft.

The shoe-scanning requirement was ordered as the government fine-tunes new security procedures since British police last week broke up a terrorist plot to assemble and detonate bombs aboard as many as 10 airliners crossing the Atlantic Ocean from Britain to the U.S. Among the new procedures are a ban on liquids and gels in airline passenger cabins, more hand searches of carry-on luggage, and random double screening of passengers at boarding gates.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

i heard this morning that you can have 4 oz of liquid on you now and carry non Rx with you. haven't researched it yet, but this is what i'm now hearing....

edit: it is for disabled and diabetics: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1059.shtm
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." – William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lise
    I'll fly the Israeli carrier, ElAl, any day!
    You're right...ElAl doesn't mess around with security. My husband is a police officer at LAX and the security measures when ElAl flies out of there three days a week are amazing.

I was in India for 3 months in 2001 (before, during and after 9/11) and even before 9/11 the security measures were very impressive, in Delhi, Mumbai, Kochi, and even Pune, where we were based (Pune is a pretty big city, but not huge.) They certainly made our pre-9/11 airport security look essentially non-existent.

Every carry-on and checked bag was x-rayed as you entered the terminal, and then most were opened and rifled through, right there on big tables in front of everyone (). [And believe me, there was a good bit of general interest in what everyone had packed in their luggage!] Also, only ticketed passengers could come into the terminal and out to the gates, or people with special clearance.

Then at the gate, before walking out onto the tarmac, every carry-on bag was screened again, and opened and looked through, and ID was checked again, and every passenger was "wanded" and patted down. They had a little screened area where a female officer patted down the women passengers. It was very throrough, and I felt quite safe after all that scrutiny.

We were on one of the first few flights out of India to the US after 9/11, and when we left from Mumbai, it was pretty much the same security measures, but with a more fierce kind of attention to it.
    Keep calm and carry on...