Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Bicycles Stop on Green"

To disable ads, please log-in.

When riding through the town of Billerica, MA the last 2 weekends, I've seen signs that say "Bicycles Stop on Green at Line". There is a picture of a bicycle on the signs. I really can't figure out what these signs mean. Anyone live in Billerica or ride through there frequently and know? Are bicycles supposed to stop at green lights???

Deb -
    Those signs have been driving me crazy for years. They make absolutely no sense from a language standpoint. And I haven't seen them anywhere else in my travels - so is it just a (stupid) Massachusetts thing?

I think what they mean to say is "bicycles stop on line, wait for green" - but the phrasing as is seems to convey the exact opposite meaning.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 07-10-2006 at 07:10 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Ah, the wonders of google searches... just found this interesting link to this article about the subject: http://www.bikexprt.com/massfacil/no...rd/ongreen.htm. The answer to the question says that there is supposed to be a bicycle-sensitive loop in the pavement at those locations to indicate/force a light change. Of course it goes on to say that the loops aren't installed or don't work...
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

I love it!! Non functioning mechanisms with erroneous signage.
    argh
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

the loops are probably a line item task on the Big Dig project... once they fix all the leaks in the tunnel, the state will get right on those 'bike sensitive' loops

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Actually, the sign says
    "Bicycle stop on line for GREEN", which means, to me, that if I stop on the line (with a properly functioning trigger), I'll get a green light. Makes sense to me!

Thanks Denise. I feel better now. I was afraid that I'd get a ticket for not stopping my bicycle at a green light. If the sign says to stop on green, can I go on red instead? Confusion is just par for the course here in Massachusetts. I used to enjoy the light on Comm Ave near the BU bridge that would simultaneously have lit a large circular red light and green arrows for straight ahead and right. Straight and right were the only possible ways to go.

edited:
    I didn't rember the sign quite right. But since I saw no obvious "line" on which to stop, my mind omitted that part and it became "Bicycle stop for green". Maybe "Bicyle wait on line for green" would work better.
    Last edited by DebW; 07-10-2006 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedal Wench
    Actually, the sign says
    "Bicycle stop on line for GREEN", which means, to me, that if I stop on the line (with a properly functioning trigger), I'll get a green light. Makes sense to me!
    Actually, when you put it that way it does make sense. Unfortunately for those of us who have never seen a properly functioning trigger, the language on the sign has always been a mystery!

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by DebW
    I used to enjoy the light on Comm Ave near the BU bridge that would simultaneously have lit a large circular red light and green arrows for straight ahead and right. Straight and right were the only possible ways to go.
    Deb, I think I know that light...it used to be on my way home from work when I lived in JP. I think it was meant to try keep people from turning left onto Comm Ave from the BU bridge...like a red light ever stopped a Boston driver from doing something.

I want to check out this sign in Billerica...what road were you on?
    It's only worth it if you're having fun

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    Actually, when you put it that way it does make sense. Unfortunately for those of us who have never seen a properly functioning trigger, the language on the sign has always been a mystery!

--- Denise
    I guess "Bicyclists, Please Stop With Your Bicycle On The Trigger Lines In The Road If You Wish The Light To Turn Green" just didn't fit on the sign!

Quote Originally Posted by CycleChic06
    I want to check out this sign in Billerica...what road were you on?
    The sign was on Treble Cove Rd. at Rt. 3. I guess they are in a few other places too.

These signs are all over Acton, Concord, etc. I also didn't get what it meant, until recently I read about it somewhere. One of the reasons I haven't done the full commute to work from my new house is that there is this one intersection with a light that is on one of those little inclines. The light changes are triggered by cars; there's no sign there about bikes stopping. I envisioned myself there forever at 6 in the morning. In fact, during the last week of school, I saw a cyclist look around and go through the red light because he had been waiting as i was approaching the intersection in my car.
    Any other alternative would add a lot of miles to my trip...

New Sign

Just saw a new road sign in Bedford to replace the confusing "Bicycles stop on line for GREEN". This one said (if I remember correctly) "To request green, bicycles stop on [picture of mark on road]".
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Deb -
    I've started seeing the new signs too. Unfortunately I haven't been on my bike for any of those sightings - so whether the loop exists in the pavement or not is still an unknown.

Were you able to test the one that you saw?

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg View Post
    Deb -
    I've started seeing the new signs too. Unfortunately I haven't been on my bike for any of those sightings - so whether the loop exists in the pavement or not is still an unknown.

Were you able to test the one that you saw?
    No, I was in my car. I'll have to ride over there and test it. It's just about 1.5 miles from my work.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72