Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Couldn't get clipped out and fell

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, I finally did it. I knew riding clipless was going to have its moments and I had one of them on Saturday. I'm new to riding clipless and I just didn't get my right foot out in time. I went for a 20 mile bike ride on my new road bike and was nearing the end of my ride, went to come to a stop and I got my left foot out, was putting it on the ground, and just didn't get my right foot out and WHAM I went down on my right side, luckily into some grass. It didn't hurt, and thank goodness no one was nearby. I bounced right back up with only a grass burn on my leg. However, my shoulder, and the area around my elbow are very sore now. I'm hoping I didn't do any damage to my arm.

I'm blaming the fall on being tired and just not having the energy to get my darn foot clipped out in time. I'm just glad no one was watching.

yikes... hope your arm is OK... and sorry ya fell.

I have a question... it sounds like you unclip both feet? Were you getting completely off the bike? Just curious... when I stop I only unclip one side and then lean that direction slightly... I leave the other foot clipped in unless I am SAG-ing or dismounting the bike...

anyway, hope you'll ba back to new in no time...
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Aaahhh, now that milestone is past.

Love my clipless, hate falling over. Soft cushy grass is good. Try putting some ice on your elbow for 15 or 20 minutes, see if that helps.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

awww sorry you fell! BUT... we've all done it! heck.... i fell in my driveway before even getting on my first ride!

Yep, it's a hard way to learn, but like KnottedYet said, at least it was grass. My first time was while practicing a track stand at the end of a ride -- and I forgot to unclip until it was too late, thus landing HARD on the gravel. I was quite bloodied, and the little plastic thingies that keep the brake cable from rubbing against the top tube and scratching the paint made little bruises on my inner thigh. But mostly, as you felt, too, I was glad no one saw me do such a doofus thing!

I hope the benefits of clipless keep you going. Glad you weren't hurt too badly!

I usually unclip my left foot first, lean slightly that direction with my foot on the ground, I then come to a complete stop and then unclip my right foot.

For some reason I had gotten my left foot out and on the ground but my right foot just wouldn't unclip and I just (in slow motion) fell to the right...but I had come to a complete stop already and had my left foot firmly on the ground. I guess I just didn't lean the bike far enough to the left. Ya live, ya learn. I'm sure glad I can share on here, none of my friends ride so they just don't get it.

I'm confused. I don't know anything about clips so probably need the dummy's guide!

Did you say you were riding clipless, and couldn't get your foot out of the clip? Did I misunderstand something?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Pooks-

Yes it's confusing, but the old 'cage' looking pedals are originally called clips. Then they developed clipless pedals--which you are CLIPPED into the pedal--but because that name was taken, it's called clipless.

It's confusing, but it's the terminology, lol.

Ah, the Engrish langauge!

People like me use these things called "toe clips" - plastic thingies to stick my feet in. When the bike industry people thought of more expensive things to sell, they said "no toe clips! Less = not, 'clipless'."
    However, the stuff you do to use the new stuff is "cliip in" and "clip out." Go figge4r :-)

Last week I fell cause a girl in front of me stopped very sudden and I couldn't get my leg out in time - sad part is that I have SPD for two years. I have many bruises and my ego is hurting very much cause it happened right in front of 20 people . At the beginning I was falling like an apples from a three and everyone teased me for that but now it never happens - almost never
    "Life is not measured with the quantity of breaths you take, but with the quantity of moments that took your breath away..."

Any photos that show the different pedals with feet in/on them?

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

I had my first fall this week two. Not fun, but luckily not hurt. They say it happens to us all.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer

Sorry about your fall. I fell twice in one week. I unclipped my right foot which I had been doing for about a month with no problems. I was leaning to the left and fell over. The next time I went out the same thing happened. Now I'm so paranoid of falling that I clip out on both sides because I don't want to fall again. My dh doesn't ride and says I'm too old to be getting banged up. I feel like a kid with scraped knees and elbows.
    I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes now

Congrats, you just joined a big club.

I'm posting a link to a thread on this forum on our most embarrassing moments. A number of the posts, including mine, are associated with falling while clipped in. Read it--it'll make you feel MUCH better.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=5555

I had my first clipless semi-fall a few weeks ago. For some reason, it took me 2 years to join this club. Call me incredibly lucky. I had several close calls though. Anyway, I was commuting to school, and had to stop at a busy intersection to wait for the light. I stepped off my pedal and my cleat slipped out from under me. I did this leap off my bike, clipped out of my left pedal, and somehow landed on both feet. I let my bike fall. Needless to say I had an audience of about 50 people, either in their cars waiting at the light or walking around. I was half embarassed, half impressed with my reflexes. Or that's what I told myself that the people were thinking to make myself feel less silly
    "Only the meek get pinched, the bold survive"