Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Ohmigod, I just bought a Titus Racer X!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I almost can't believe I did this, but I am so excited! I have posted a couple of questions in this forum in the last week as I am new to mountain biking, but have been road riding for years. I've been enjoying riding with a friend lately, and just in the past week I started researching full-suspension mtbs online thinking that "next year" I might want to upgrade. (I have a heavy, entry-level hardtail that I discovered yesterday weighs 32 lbs, and I weigh under 105, so it's pretty hard to haul her up the hills, and the bumps hurt in back!) I quickly fell in bike lust with the Santa Cruz Juliana and the Titus Racer X, especially the latter, which so many here rave about (as do the reviews on mtbr.com). But there's no way I could justify the cost of either bike new at this early stage in my mtb riding life.

Well, I started searching on ebay, and you know what that can lead to....the crazies! There was a nice-looking Juliana (size small) I was interested in, but when I emailed the seller about the weight, it turned out to weigh nearly 27 lbs - lighter, but not fantastic. Then, late last night, I found a newly listed Titus Racer X in an XS frame, 24 lbs. Ohmigod, I hardly slept last night. It was not a regular auction but in an ebay store for a fixed price, so I knew it could sell at any minute. I was a bundle of nerves because the price was amazing, it was my size, and I knew what a fantastic bike it was from everything I'd read just in the past few days. AND, I'd just gotten a bonus at work equal to the price of the bike! I was so scared someone else would buy it at any minute, before I was absolutely sure I should be its next owner.

Today I asked the seller a few questions; he responded promptly and was extremely helpful, and with some amount of fear and trepidation, matched only by utter joy and excitement, I bought it! Check it out here and let me know how I did:

My new baby

Oooh, I cannot wait to get her! I need to come up with a name, of course, and I plan to take her to the local Titus dealer here for a front shock overhaul and adjustments, but hopefully within a couple of weeks, I'll be riding her. I'm truly unworthy of this level of bike with my extremely newbie skills, but I can't wait to start riding more and improving. With this bike, I know I'll want to ride lots!

YIPPEE!!!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc
    I'm truly unworthy of this level of bike with my extremely newbie skills, but I can't wait to start riding more and improving. With this bike, I know I'll want to ride lots!
    Nobody is ever "unworthy" of a bike as long as they ride it. You'll progress faster on lightweight FS and have so much fun you'll hardly believe it. Congratulations!
    Last edited by SadieKate; 06-25-2006 at 07:21 PM.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Wow! Lucky you, happy riding!

Whoopeee!!!

She looks just like mine in shiny silver, and she will love helping you ride better

I know the "I am unworthy" routine...You'll get over it as soon as you ride her. Congratulations!

Linda

Have fun!!! My ol' hardtail weighs 32 lbs. Give us a report after your first ride!

Wow, she looks good! I'm glad you're getting into MTBing- you're in my favorite state for that!

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

very nice!!! i ride a julianna and hubby says if he knew i would be THIS into mtbing he would have gone with the racer-x...although i am now lusting after the turner nitrous (aaaawwww.....someday!!!!) my julianna has been a gem and would not trade'em for anything right now!!!! you are gonna LOOOOOVE the squish and responsiveness...

i have ridden with a few racer-x riders and they are definitely in love with their rides as i am sure you will be soon!!!....congrats and *again* welcome to the DIRTY side...hahahahahahaha

does my memory serve me right in that you are a pink lover??? if so click link....BEWARE!!!! more ebay craziness!!!! if you don't like pink just move on....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chris-King-Heads...QQcmdZViewItem
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy
    does my memory serve me right in that you are a pink lover??? if so click link....BEWARE!!!! more ebay craziness!!!! if you don't like pink just move on....
    Yes, you have a great memory BB - that's me! I have seen these headsets - very sweet!

Glad you approve of my new ride (and all you other sweet gals too). I am so stoked!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by bouncybouncy
    very nice!!! i ride a julianna and hubby says if he knew i would be THIS into mtbing he would have gone with the racer-x...although i am now lusting after the turner nitrous (aaaawwww.....someday!!!!)

okay, i give up, what IS IT FOR??
    Congrats on your new ebay bike!

Mimi, are you asking what a headset is? What is confusing you?

Anyone with a quill stem? This is a thread headset. Probably not many of these around.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    Mimi, are you asking what a headset is? What is confusing you?

Anyone with a quill stem? This is a thread headset. Probably not many of these around.
    yes. Is that the thing the handlebars sit on?

The headset sits inside the head tube of your frame. The steerer tube for the fork and, in this case, the quill (threaded) stem sit inside it. The bearings are inside it so that your bars/stem/fork can turn.

With a threadless headset (which are used on most higher end bikes - except for the Rivendell nut crowd), the steering tube for the fork extends above the headset and the stem clamps around the steering tube.

Is that all clear as mud? Sheldon Brown probably has better explanations.

ooops....my bad! at work so i tend to be a little hasty with my clicks...there is a threadless headset as well...if i don't resist temptation and pull out the plastic first....

sorry for the confusion!
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

Talking Ooooo. My envy knows no bounds.

You lucky, lucky girl. Wish someone would give me a full suspension sized bonus!
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

Ooohh nice bike. Have fun hitting the trails Emily.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V