Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red face So how did you learn to ride a bike?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I wasn't sure where to put this, in the "new riders" in the "adventure stories" or.. well, I decided open topic.

I bet that some of you have some really exciting stories about learning to ride a bike. and learning early, too.
    I'll start with my story; it's not amazing, but it's mine.

I was a great bike rider on my trike. I remember being invincible.

Then my father got me a bike (PINK) with training wheels when I was about 7. It was okay until they started trying to teach me to ride with only 2 wheels. I have vivid memories of adult men pushing me (screaming) at top speed down the sidewalk. After long minutes of serious trauma, I gave up. (it was worse than being a tandem stoker!!!)

So now i am 9 years old. My father bought me a new bike. It's a blue beautiful grown up looking bike..it looks too big but it's not. He takes me to a vacant lot and gets on the bike. he says "this is all you have to do" and he takes it for a spin.
    My turn. I get on the bike... and i'm off!! it felt so wonderful. no fear, no
    falling, no pressure. just the wonderful feeling of bike wheels spinning.
    My father gave me some magic, I'm sure..
    and here i am 54 years old and I still love the way it feels to float down the road on bike tires.

Your story?

I honestly don't remember.

I always had the trike's and bikes with training wheels. I remember being 8 when my cousins(we are all like sisters, really) decided it was time for the training wheels to come off. I kept riding & falling & was crying & everything because they were forcing me to learn.

Finally, my cousing Jenny came up to me & told me "ok, they all tried to teach me that way too, what works is pretending you are the Little Engine that Could, just keep saying "I think I can, I think I can" and pedal. Funniest thing is that it actually worked & by that afternoon we were biking to the local convenience store for ice cream.

I'm the youngest of nine so no one bothered to teach me. My first garage sale bike was immediately stripped by my brothers for parts. When I was eight I got a new maroon bike with a banana seat and hi-rise handle bars. I took it out on the street and taught myself to ride. My first real success ended up with me hitting the curb and going over the handlebars. I had a dream back then that I could fly over the neighborhood on that bike looking down into backyards, a la Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I think my dad taught me on my cousins PeeWee Herman boys bike... but I'm not sure. I don't actually remember learning.

I'll have to ask him next time we chat.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

I learned when I was about 7 in my back yard. I had never had training wheels. So I was out there, kept trying over and over. Finally I did it! But I could only go in a circle and one way when I tried to turn I would fall again. Luckly it was all dirt in the yard. My dog Sugar was there the whole time with me. Pretty soon me and my orange and purple bike were on our way to bigger and brighter days together. Loved the big banana seat too. Remembering this makes me miss my dog. She was great a real kids dog you know. I used to sneak her in my room at night from outside cause I didn't want her to get cold.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by fatbottomedgurl
    I'm the youngest of nine so no one bothered to teach me. My first garage sale bike was immediately stripped by my brothers for parts. When I was eight I got a new maroon bike with a banana seat and hi-rise handle bars. I took it out on the street and taught myself to ride. My first real success ended up with me hitting the curb and going over the handlebars. I had a dream back then that I could fly over the neighborhood on that bike looking down into backyards, a la Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
    Or ET depending on how old you are.
    Blessed are the flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape.
    > Remember to appreciate all the different people in your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla
    what she said!

i do remember it was blue.... and i had training wheels... i believe my dad took one off first... then after a while the other one.. but i don't remember!

i do remember what happened to that bike though! my grandfather backed over it... cuz i left it in his driveway behind his truck!

My older brother taught me. Or tried. We had a long, shale driveway that sloped down from the farm to the road. First he had me stand on the left pedal and coast down. Then he insisted that I swing my right foot over the seat like a boy, "the real way". (He's less of a male chauvinist now, but at 9 he was as bad as all his buddies. ) We kept trying that until I crashed on the shale and turned one knee and shin into a bloody mess. I think my Dad took over the lessons the next weekend. This was a time when he was working in Oakland and only really home on weekends, which meant Mom had all the farm chores to do all week. But finally Dad had time and taught me the way he'd taught my brother, by holding on to the seat and running along behind until I took off and hardly noticed I'd left him behind. Dad also said it was ok for me to step through the frame, that it was a privilege of girlhood to have a bike that allowed that.

Did Dad also teach you to ride, Trek420? Or did Joel? I know I did a rescue once when you got a cramp in a lake, but I can't recall being involved when you learned to ride a bike. Maybe I was already away at college ...? Næh. You had a bike before you were 10, I'm pretty sure.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

My first bike was lavender with a banana seat and high handle bars. I paid 15 dollars for it of my own money (I am pretty sure it was birthday money or something) I was 8 years old. I was sooo happy. I rode that bike from sunup to sundown. We had this big neighborhood being built across the street from my house all the roads were dug out nice smooth dirt no traffic.
    My friends and I built ramps from the left over wood and dirt it was the greatest.We would compete to see who could jump the farthest or go the highest. I had a crush on one the little boys and would chase him down on that bike at least until he got a 10 speed. I remember how effortless those big hills were then. Flying down them No HANDS! I used to pretend I was Wonder Woman in my invisible plane. There were gosh may be six or seven of that always were together ages 7 to 12. We would ride around the neighborhood sometimes pretty far. Whenever we came across this one group of kids they would yell "You can"t ride on this street this is where we ride!" We would of course nanner back and forth at each other. "Oh yea well blah blah blah!" The funny thing is we would all end up riding together and hanging out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dianyla
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't remember. I remember getting my first bike. I remember driving it in circles at the top of my grandparents' driveway, but that's it.

My daughter (4) is trying the bike without training wheels now (at her own desire)! She gets too nervous if I try to help her, so her friend sits on the back of the seat and acts like training wheels. She puts her feet down to keep balance and then lifts them up when FishJr isn't looking. FishJr has made it as far as a whole house length on her own! Now, if only she would pedal faster!

All I remember is after the training wheels were taken off, my dad hanging on to the back of the banana seat for a few trips down the driveway. Then we started off down the driveway again, only he wasn't hanging on to the seat anymore!
    Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

2010 Kelson custom/Brooks B17 Imperial
    2009 Masi/Terry Damselfly
    2004 Specialized Dulce Elite/Terry Damselfly
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara/unknown saddle
    1987 Bridgestone 100/Terry Liberator X

I don't remember much about my first bike except that I rode it a lot. After a while, I begged my dad to take the training wheels off, but he never had time, so I grabbed a wrench and did it myself. It was my first bike repair

And now, I can't understand why I spent so many years NOT riding. Major brain malfunction, I think. It's the only logical explanation.
    "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible." ~Arthur C. Clarke

residentgeek.livejournal.com

I learned to ride on my cousins banana seat bike when I was about 5 or 6. No careful parents holding up the bike, she told me to just run with the bike to get it going and then just jump on the seat. Braking consisted of dragging my feet along the ground because I was not told about the coaster brakes. I guess the method worked as there weren't any trips to the hospital and I got my own bike shortly afterwards.

I remember learning to ride a bike. I was really young--either 4 or 5. My brother was 18 months older than me. He had a friend named Mike Horning. We were over at Mike's house. Mike had one of those little bikes that was probably one that used to have training wheels. It was perfect for learning to ride.

If you remember my ugly bike story, then you remember that in my house we didn't get a bike until we were 8. So neither my brother or I had a bike. Getting to try out Mike's bike was a thrill! Mike first let my brother (of course) try riding. Because it was a small bike, it was easy to get the hang of riding. It didn't take my brother long to start riding it around the street.

Being the tom-boy I was, I wanted to try too. So they helped me, and I remember vividly that it didn't take me long at all to learn to ride that bike. I can still remember trying over and over to get the hang of balancing while petaling. What a great feeling--it was like flying! The sad part was having to go home after that great experience. No bikes at my house to ride (my oldest brother was 9 years older than me, so his bike was too big, and off limits to me).

We rode that bike every time we went to Mike's house. When my brother turned 8, he got his bike, and I got to ride it once in awhile. I couldn't wait for my 8th birthday--and it sure was a long wait!!!

Now I have my shiny new bike, and I ride it all the time. It is so much fun to go riding with my boys. My younger son and I ride bikes to his school three times a week (we walk the other two days so we can give the dog a walk--my son didn't want her missing out on all her walks!) We recently took a 15 mile ride together--really fun and I was proud to see he did so well at that distance. He just turned 10. (proud Mom moment).
    Whoever said last man standing wins never asked a girl to play!