Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

0 to 65 in 9 months - Kind of long

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well - I did it! First metric century! Not bad considering I just started riding last August - and really didn't ride from November thru April.

It was a really nice ride for an organization - Cycling For Life - raising money to help kids with cancer. Lots of back country roads and not a lot of traffic. They didn't post the route ahead of time - so I was not mentally prepared for all of the hills there were. They killed me! Way too many I just had to walk up. I hated to do it, but I just couldn't turn the pedals any more.

The first 40 wasn't too bad - then the killer wind kicked in! I was ready to give up at 50, but my DH told me to just try to do 5 more - and then after that it would just be silly to call them to get us - so I did 5 more. And then it ended up being 5 more after that. The last 2 I really didn't think I was going to do it. There was one last hill to do and the wind was just so awful I nearly broke. But I did it. It wasn't pretty, graceful, or quick - but I did it!

My legs really weren't too bad. A little tired, but not really sore. My neck, shoulders, back, and arms and BUTT were a totally different story! My arms could barely hold my weight by the end. My sit bones were killing me! Don't think I could have ridden another inch. Everything wasn't too bad by the next day though.

Was also my first ride really using my clipless pedals. I didn't fall once! Very happy about that. I am kind of thinking I wasn't doing it entirely right though since my hamstrings didn't hurt. But I'll get there!

Averaging only 10 mph is not going to do it though! No way we'll be able to do the full 100 at the Livestrong ride if I don't pick up the pace! Went to the LBS the next day to talk to them. We flipped the stem on my bike - I had started out with it "positive" because I was nervous about the road bike and wanted to be sitting up straighter. They flipped it to the "negative" so it is the way a road bike is supposed to be. I also had them put a 27 gear thing on the back (I had a 25) to give me 2 more granny gears for the hills. Just to help me a little bit until I have more strength in my legs. Once I can start doing those better - I'll put the 25 back on.

My DH actually came up with a really good way to explain to me why the stem position will make a difference. He told me to picture trying to push a refrigerator. If you stand straight up and down - you can't move it. But if you stretch your legs out behind you and push - you have more power and can move it. He said it's the same thing on the bike. With the stem in the negative position - it bends you over more and gives you more power in your legs. Now I just have to work on strengthening my back and arms. Getting there! Slowly but surely - getting there!

Waytago!!!!!!
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Wind is a BUGGER!!!! But what doesn't kill ya really does make you stronger in this case.

My other big technique epiphany was "round and round, not up and down." THink about getting the *most* out of every part of that stroke. (Maybe you already do it... for me it was a revelation and **really** helped on hills and in wind.)

Congratulations!

You give me hope that doing a metric in less than a year is doable. I was starting to wonder if it was going to take me many years of cycling before I was up for it

Go you!
    "The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to venture beyond them into the impossible." ~Arthur C. Clarke

residentgeek.livejournal.com

That is awesome!! I've been back on my bike for seven years, and training hard for at least three..and I still have a way to go to get my first metric century! Well done!

~Sherry.

Sherry after three years, what is stopping you from doing that century?
    Just curious!

Allie....As you will find on many threads here, to be efficient with your pedaling and get the most power out of every stroke, think of scraping mud off the bottoms of your feet. If you practice this technique, you will become a stronger rider and utilize those hamstrings as well!

Good going for your first metric. It will get easier as you practice going longer distances. Pretty soon you'll be talking about your first century, you know the "C" word!
    Nancy

Good job, Allie! You haven't been cycling that long and it is a big accomplishment. I had been riding 3 years before I rode 65 miles.
    Sorry I missed you at the bike class. Did you go? We had water in our family room and the storm was pretty bad... I have to call Massbike and see if I can reschedule.

Robyn

Quote Originally Posted by mimitabby
    Sherry after three years, what is stopping you from doing that century? Just curious!
    Theoretically, I probably could do the full 100km right now, however:
    1) I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. On my good days, I can ride well (and hence probably could do the full 100km), but I suffer for it for many days afterward. I have to build my endurance in baby steps compared to you regular folks, so I won't spend the following week sick as a dog. (I almost never admit to having this problem; I used to think it was just some excuse lazy people used until I developed it too. That shut me up )
    2) Geography. Living on an island is great, but I just can't ride out 50km and return. I'm surrounded on three sides by ocean, and a mountain range on the fourth. I think I have just figured out a route that will bring me close to 100km without riding the same trails/paths/roads over and over again, or tooling up and down city streets putting on the distance that way. That would be b-o-r-i-n-g. If I wanted a metric century and boring at the same time, I could just go down to the local velodrome and ride in circles until it was done
    I'll get to my metric century in my own time, thanks. It's frustrating to not be able to do it as fast as others (I still think I'm just lazy), but that's how it is.
    Cheers,
    ~Sherry.

Quote Originally Posted by Popoki_Nui
    (I almost never admit to having this problem; I used to think it was just some excuse lazy people used until I developed it too. That shut me up )
    Sherry, isn't that they way? I don't want to admit how many times I thought I had tolerance/empathy/understanding for something, anything, until I went through it myself. Don't be too hard on yourself...I admire you for continuing in the face of this challenge.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury