Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

For those with neck problems...(furniture)

To disable ads, please log-in.

I know several of you have had serious neck problems and surgeries. Have you found recliners to be helpful? I've had a bit of a windfall and need to replace my loveseat with something that doesn't make my neck and scalp numb and hurt other bits. I've determined that, for the most part, couches and loveseats are just too deep for me and/or too soft. I suspect most traditional recliners are the same Right now the only furniture I have that doesn't cause those issues are two wooden rockers with minor cushions, and my expensive new bed. So far I've found a couple of accent chairs that fit the bill nicely - but they are far from inexpensive.

I tried out some lovely Norwegian furniture the other day - but I refuse to pay >$3K for a swivel/recliner chair Especially since I will likely get TWO of something as the broken down loveseat is going away and I need at least seating for 4 in my living room.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-27-2016 at 01:41 AM.

My cousin and uncle have had neck surgery, but I've never noticed any special furniture at their house. Though of course it probably depends a lot on the specific problem that a person has.

The Healthy Back store has some recliners that are not cheap but not $3000 either. Their closest store to you is Kentucky, but maybe there are other, similar stores in your area? Maybe your physical therapist or doctor would have specific recommendations.

https://www.healthyback.com/home-seating/recliners.html

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Thanks NY Biker. I wish I could order online but can't...really all I need is something that actually fits my body and isn't too soft. It's imperative that I be able to "hang out" on whatever it is 20-30 minutes before purchase to make certain it doesn't make THIS & THAT numb and THE OTHER THING hurt.. That sounds simple...it's not proving to be so. I've found a few but the prices are just insane. At least I think so but I've not purchased furniture (outside of a new bed), since 2002. My next stop is the local Lazyboy store, along with a couple furniture stores I've not yet hit.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    My cousin and uncle have had neck surgery, but I've never noticed any special furniture at their house. Though of course it probably depends a lot on the specific problem that a person has.

The Healthy Back store has some recliners that are not cheap but not $3000 either. Their closest store to you is Kentucky, but maybe there are other, similar stores in your area? Maybe your physical therapist or doctor would have specific recommendations.

https://www.healthyback.com/home-seating/recliners.html

I actually bought a Lazyboy several months back from a neighborhood furniture shop. I needed the head/neck/back support without it being a large chair. It is a rocker/recliner. I like how I can lean it back with or without raising the footrest. The footrest raises high enough that I can rest my feet higher than my heart. The negative is that the headrest sometimes feels too soft when I need more support for reading. I'll use a supplemental pillow for that. Doesn't seem to be bothersome watching TV though. It is one of the only chairs I've actually been able to sleep in. Best of all, less than $500!

I have one of those swivel/recliners -- it's actually 15 years old and pretty destroyed, I'll be getting another. Well worth the $$. We also have a not-too-soft recliner from Lazy Boy that is comfy, it too is old but it might be worth checking out the LazyBoy
    store.

If it was Ekornes (Stressless) that you tried, they are well worth the price tag. They last forever, and if you don't want it anymore, they fetch a fine price on CL. When we had a small windfall, we bought a set of them about 15 years ago, they are really amazing chairs.

I will say, for lower extremity surgery, a lazy boy offers better positioning though.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks for the feedback! I'm more concerned on my upper extremities than lower, but its all a balance. Thanks for the input on both Lazy boy and the Ekorne Stressless. I must admit the Stressless felt amazing, but didn't give it my 30 minute reading test after seeing the price - I do need to....enhance my savings account as well. If I can't find something else that doesn't make my back, neck, and scalp go numb I will give it another shot. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've slept in mine for over 16 weeks in the last few years, for my various injuries and surgeries.

The good - unbelievable comfort and support. Extremely long lifespan without the cushions or leather breaking down.

The bad - low arms (I'd prefer higher to prop my arms for reading), and it is lower to the ground than your average lazy boy (not a deal breaker, but something to be aware of).

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks Pax! I really appreciate all of the good feedback. After my visit to the Ortho today and learning that my bicep tendon is trashed, it does seem that the only question re shoulder surgery is WHEN rather than if, this gives me something to think about.

I did succeed in finding a Lazy Boy that fit me perfectly - both in a normal seated position and when reclining/fully reclined and with over 30 minutes of playing with it in all positions nothing complained. Considering the odds of a shoulder surgery in the next year or so a recliner seemed a good idea.

Sadly they didn't have one ready to go so it will take 6-8 weeks, hopefully sooner - but it felt awesome AND I was able to request they move the footrest lever to the left side - as the right arm is the problem. It isn't a rocker, those just did not feel as good. I did spend a couple hundred over my target - but it was that or get something I knew would hurt. I'm pretty pleased on my find and my mom would have greatly approved spending her money (it was from an estate settlement) on a recliner. She thought everyone needed to have one

Congrats on the purchase! And, I am sorry to hear that the possibility of shoulder surgery is looming, but I am sure you are getting good advice, with all of your research. I know when DH had his broken collarbone, a recliner would have helped his recovery from surgery greatly.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Thanks Crankin, I had a broken collarbone and upper arm when I was 12 and I can still remember what it was like trying to rest... Hopefully the shoulder injection yesterday will calm things and give me some time but it's clear the only question is when, not if. The bicep tendon is subluxing, and is in very bad shape. As far as the injection is concerned it seems apparent they have to really p*** it off before it gets better.

So sorry about the pain, Catrin, but I'm very happy to hear that you found a recliner that was so comfy for you -- and that they can move the control lever to the appropriate side for you. That's a real win! Perhaps it will come in even sooner than they said -- crossing fingers.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hopefully so Emily! It seems that furniture stores just don't keep the inventory in-house they once did, but then again, I wouldn't have had the option to have the lever moved if that had been the case. There is a chance it will come in earlier, now I will be waiting impatiently

Congrats on the chair, and how cool that they could move the handle!

Electra Townie 7D