Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Age,sleep,body heat

To disable ads, please log-in.

I!ve been in menopause for last 3 yrs. No period just seems I seem to feel a bit warmer in general. After a deep sleep or even just a 1 HR nap, I seem to be quite warm in the face. Then goes away after 5 min. Or so. jUst wondering if others have this. It's not a terrible thing at all.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

Before menopause I was cold all the time, since I'm hot all my waking hours and then cold when I sleep. It's been a weird transition.

Electra Townie 7D

I've been menopaused for over a year now. During the day, I have one or 2 hot flashes and it does not last long. The next ones are at around 9:30pm and come back until about 5-6am. During the night, I get those regularly and it wakes me up. As soon as the hot flash is gone, I'm cold of course. Then at dawn, they go away and I need an extra blanket. I find it pretty hard on the system and it is a frequent discussion in our couple as hubby is always freezing. I sometimes end up sleeping in the guest room and open the window to max even at -5c. He'd die if I'd do this in our room. haha
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I did not feel hot overall. My experience was more like Helene's, but I didn't get cold after. I had just a couple of flashes a day, but I always awoke with one. That continued long after my period ended. I've been in menopause for 14 years, and I'd say I had a flash upon wakening for 10 years.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I've been menopausal for six years now, and I'm still freezing all the time. Right now we have plenty of heat in the house, and I've got four layers of wool on plus a wool cap, plus before dinner (which, a hot meal will warm me up briefly) I had a heating pad stuck inside my vest all afternoon.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

As long as I'm keeping up with my HRT I'm fine now- my experience was much like Helene's but when I was waking up 3 or 4 times a night and having trouble staying focused at work, I started hormones. I've tried skipping for a few days and as soon as I do, I start waking up feeling warm (never as bad as my peak sweating hot flashes).... and so I've gone back to the pills. I know I need to get off of them eventually...
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

I'm still peri. Whatever I'm experiencing lasts a few months and then changes. Haven't noticed having a warm face upon waking without a full-body flash, but that could change tomorrow...

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

I'm 54, haven't had a period since last July. I now sleep with an extra sheet, so I don't have to disturb hubby in the middle of the night. I wake at midnight and then again about 3 to pee and cuz I'm a bit hot, it goes away quickly if I make sure I have only the sheet on me. I only sleep through the night if I take a sleeping aid (which I don't like to do). I've also been under a lot of stress, and I grind my teeth. So I'm a mess. After reading all your posts I no longer feel alone.

Surgical menopause in 2008, still haven't had what I would consider a "full" heat flash - at least not what others described and I've never had HRT. I get a little warm sometimes, and I had problems sleeping for a couple years which, in retrospect, was probably due more to "the change" than anything. I do go quickly between stacks of cover at night to just a sheet sometimes, but it isn't extreme. I've noticed that I DO have much more of a problem getting warm in the winter than I once did, and I enjoy hot weather far more than I once did. Unsure if that's from getting older, from being much smaller than I once was, being 8 years post-surgery or all of the above (probably).

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbike View Post
    I'm 54, haven't had a period since last July. I now sleep with an extra sheet, so I don't have to disturb hubby in the middle of the night. I wake at midnight and then again about 3 to pee and cuz I'm a bit hot, it goes away quickly if I make sure I have only the sheet on me. I only sleep through the night if I take a sleeping aid (which I don't like to do). I've also been under a lot of stress, and I grind my teeth. So I'm a mess. After reading all your posts I no longer feel alone.
    I always wake up at least once each night but it never bothers me. I usually have no trouble getting back to sleep. Even if I have a hot flash, I find that as long as I remain calm I'll be fine. For years I also ground my teeth. I tried plastic bite guards which I got from the dentist, but they didn't work -- I just bit down really hard on them in my sleep. My dentist was surprised since they apparently help his other patients just fine. Eventually I did enough damage to my teeth to warrant a crown and root canal. After that the pain from grinding my teeth was sufficient to wake me up, and somehow that translated into an end to the problem -- the immediate pain put a stop to the subconscious behavior.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    For certain, I don't feel "colder" nowadays when going to sleep at home in menopause.

Now if I sleep long enough (5-6 hrs. of sleep is actually not that often. I need to work on this.), I feel as if I've lost an extra .5 lb. or more..after going to washroom. It's as if sleeping more and deeply, burns some more "energy" for me. However I have read somewhere, that medically sleeping well and regularily contributes to weight regulation.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 04-29-2016 at 06:09 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.