Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbie looking for a bike.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here, looking to buy my first bike!! Because its my first bike, I don't want to spend too much on it. I found two on craigslist. One is a Motobecane Nomade 50cm Road Bike (asking price is $155; 27 inch tires and 10-speed) the other is a Lotus Brand Road Bike (Asking price is $220; 27"1/8 specialized tire. 23" Frame,12 Speed). Are either of these bike worth the price that they are asking, and are they good starting bikes?
    Thank you!!

How tall are you? What is your budget?

A 23" frame is huge. A 50 cm average on the smaller end for a guy, considered larger if for a woman (I'm 5'7", it might fit me, but I'd need to see a geometry chart). You need a better idea what size you can ride.

I'd keep looking.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-30-2015 at 09:48 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

as much as i like french bikes the nomade has french threading which can make parts harder to get. the lotus was probably made in japan and is a brand that those into vintage bikes like to buy. More info on the lotus is needed to price it. some were made by Cinelli in the mid 80's and that price would be excellent if it was in very good condition....less than 220 if it isn't. ride them before you choose and see how they handle and fit (as already said 23 is a large bike).....and lift the bike and spin the wheels to see how the hub bearings feel which will give you an idea of how it has been maintained. Both probably need to be looked at by someone who knows bike mechanics
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Also remember that sizing isn't standard. A 50 cm in one bike may be petite, and a 50 cm in another huge. Older bikes tend to run larger.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!

A Terry Symmetry was just listed in Lincoln CL for $450.00. Tiagra components, and retail is much higher: (Retail is $1340.00).

https://lincoln.craigslist.org/bik/5183838282.html

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Bicycle...metry-Drop-Bar

If it fits, Terry's are fine bikes. That is an amazing deal. Seriously. Call now. Well, after we find out how tall you are and determine if there is a possibility it fits. If you want a vintage bike, keep in mind they tend to have old school geometries, and may not be that comfortable.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-30-2015 at 10:04 AM.

Battswebb

Surly Krampus!