Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Exercises

Exercises

To disable ads, please log-in.

What other strength exercises do you all do besides cycling? I want to encorporate strength training to my regimen. I cycle 3-4 times a week. Varies between 5-20 miles depending on time.

Quote Originally Posted by qcuthbert View Post
    What other strength exercises do you all do besides cycling? I want to encorporate strength training to my regimen. I cycle 3-4 times a week. Varies between 5-20 miles depending on time.
    Right now cross training is walking, aikido (a Japanese martial art. Good for flexibility and range of motion), not doing weights right now but may in winter.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

In the summer, I don't have any "structured" plan.

In the winter, I train 5-6 days/week (about 60 minutes and longer on weekends) with the help of a physiotherapist/kinesio. She builds my plan on cycling, muscle training and treadmill. The muscle training is mostly squats, lunges, abdo crunches, working the arms to counter the effect of being crouched on the bike, etc. Treadmill is mostly doing "hill" climbs as I can't really run anymore.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

I teach ballet and modern dance, so that keeps my body moving... I actually really recommend ballet as a good cross-training activity for cycling. It uses a lot of the same muscle groups (glutes, quads, hamstrings, calves, back) but also has some good counterbalances to cycling--the upright balletic posture can be a good counter to the cyclist hunch; balletic turnout of the legs balances the constant straight forward position of the legs cycling; jumps in ballet add an impact exercise component, good for bone health, that cycling lacks.

At any rate, I have found that the two complement each other quite well.

But if ballet isn't your thing, I also really like the exercises in Tom Danielson's book "Core Advantage"--the exercises in it focus on strength and stability while in motion, which really makes sense to me. We're never still on a bike, so we need solid core support that doesn't depend on holding still.
    1980-something Colnago
    2010 Jamis Quest
    2013 Wabi Classic

mebikedolomitesoneday.wordpress.com

Thanks! I realize I need a strength workout...I will look for that book. Helene2013 how are you working your arms? I cant run any myself. I started bicycling to lose weight but in the process I feel almost lost...like I'm doing it wrong.

I love The New Rules of Lifting series. My favorite is the the one targeting the core, but all of them are good. I tend to lift from October to April.

I take a boot camp class 2x a week all year round. During cycling season, I often only ride and the class, but I am trying to trail run 2x a week, now. In the winter, I snow shoe, x country ski, do spin class.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I do yoga. It's been a huge help to me in understanding alignment, which is critical to avoiding injuries and being most efficient in any sport. Mat yoga doesn't work the upper back all that much, which we really need - aerial (aka kite or trapeze) yoga fills that gap for me, or TRX exercises are similar.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler