Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Really stupid injury

To disable ads, please log-in.

This morning, I whacked my little toe on the corner of the kitchen cabinet. It hurt, but was feeling a bit better when I actually hit it again, getting ready to commute. I did ride here, and now there is some bruising on the top of my foot, in the area in front of the toe. It hurts, but it's not excruciating, trying to stay seated until I have to ride home.
    I don't think it's broken, and even if it is, there's no treatment for this. It's not swollen, so hopefully, just a bruise/sprain, because I am supposed to go on a 37 mile ride tomorrow.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Owie!

Sounds like something I'd do. Feel better soon.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

ooooh... I love reading that I am not the only one who can do such easy to avoid stupidities. hahaha

Seriously, I hope it resolves quickly so you can ride. Can you try to apply some Arnica gel on it? Maybe it could help some.
    Helene
    Riding a 2014 Specialized Amira LS4 Expert - aka The Zebra!
    2015 Specialized Crux e5 - aka Bora Bora bike

Yeah, after I get home. Dreading the 5 mile ride!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yeah. Will probably feel so far away.... good luck.
    Helene

Oy. That's the kind of thing I tend to do, too. I hope it's not badly injured.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

Ow. Heal fast. Hope you get home okay and can ride tomorrow.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, I made it home, with only 2 owie moments, both while riding on a nice flat road. I was about reduced to tears when a racer type commuter with a backpack whizzed by me. But, it only lasted a second. Going up the hill did not hurt more, thankfully. The bruising is not worse. I iced it while eating dinner and now have it elevated. It feels stiff and a lower level achy feeling on the whole right side of the foot and my toe, with occasional "shocks" of pain (I like saying this, my son used to say when he was racing), if I move it the wrong way.
    I really, really want to go on the ride tomorrow. It's mostly flat, only a couple of neighborhood type hills, and beautiful farmland, north of here. The start isn't too far to get to, either.
    I woke up feeling off today. First, in the middle of the night, DH was having bad dream that a dog was attacking him and he "pushed it off" by pushing me in the back. I awoke with a scream. Then I had dreams that one of my daughter in laws was in danger. After I hit my toe the second time, I questioned my sanity in riding, as I was worried I might crash or be hit by a car, but nothing unusual happened.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Take the time to rest and you'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Can you take something like Aleve to keep the swelling and pain to minimal?
    Helene

I used Arnica last night, twice, so it kept the bruising down to where it had been. Helene, I don't take anti-inflammatories, as they upset my stomach. If I am desperate, I'll take one, with a Zantac and it's OK, but I reserve that for worse pain/fever. I had 2 close relatives die from bleeding ulcers brought on by anti-inflammatories.
    So, I think I will pass on the group ride. It's cloudy, humid, and going to be 90, which increases the chance I will be uncomfortable. I will ride around here this morning, before it gets too hot and I will stay within a 10 mile radius of home, in case the foot is hurting worse. That will give me lots of options for rides. It's hurting the same as it was yesterday, not worse. Tomorrow, I will rest it. I am concerned about what kind of shoe I can wear to work, that won't make it worse, for tomorrow.
    And, I am freaked out about ever going barefoot in my house again!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Ow! Hope it heals quickly.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

wow... I've never known anyone reacting to that type of pills. I took so many with my knee and shoulder issues over time and it never bothered me. Even massive dose over 30 days. But I had Zantac at that time. I guess I must have a stomach of steel. hihi

Hoping you can heal quickly and get back into shoes. Can you wear sandals at work? I'm not talking flip-flops but something that would not squeeze your toes...worse.... nice slippers that are not too pom-pom ones. hihi . At least when you are at your desk, if that is doable.

And maybe protect corners of your furniture with some padded foam. hihi
    Helene

I can pretty much wear anything at work. I wore dress sandals with a small wedge heel yesterday, and that was not a good choice. Not because it made it hurt more, but because the heel and straps across the top of the sandal put too much pressure on the bruise and I think actually made it worse. I say this because the bruise did not become apparent until after i had been at work for 4-5 hours. I could just wear regular ballet flats or flat casual shoes. I really wanted to wear a new dress I bought, so that might have to change and I can have a casual Thursday, since I don't work on Fridays.
    And yes, the ill effects of anti-inflammatories are well known. If you look on the label, it always says it can cause intestinal bleeding, with no warning.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

How's your toe today?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Well, it's getting better, but still annoying. Yesterday, I went for a short ride and then kept it elevated. I used Arnica and iced it last night and this morning. The bruise kind of has spread across almost the whole base of my toes, but it never got swollen or really purple. It's faded a bit already. The spot between my toe and the next toe is a darker blue bruise.
    Wearing some non-restrictive type sandals that cover the top of my foot today and walking as little as possible. It does feel much better. Hopefully, I'll be ok for boot camp tomorrow. I can modify all the stuff, though. I was going to buy new running shoes tomorrow, and maybe even a pair of trail running shoes, but that will wait.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura