Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Signs of Spring

Signs of Spring

To disable ads, please log-in.

While it may have been the second coldest morning of this winter, spring definately is coming, the buckets are in the sugar bush.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	websugarbush.jpg 
Views:	368 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	623  

Unhappy

I saw a flock of about 20 Robins yesterday. Geez they must be cold. They may be back a little to early though, snow is predicted again on Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    I saw a flock of about 20 Robins yesterday. Geez they must be cold.
    I have to admit, I can't figure out the robins - I saw a bunch of them several weeks ago as I was out walking in one of our crazy snowstorms. I wonder if some of them break the mold and decide to spend the winters hiding somewhere in New England!

And, thanks newfsmith - for the "spring" photo. While this really hasn't been a bad winter, I've definitely been dreaming of warmer weather.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 02-28-2006 at 05:03 AM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Robins

A bunch of them are still enjoying the Florida sun, but they are really flocking up, a sign that they are about to leave. It's funny- (I'm from up north) down here robins are a sign of _winter_.

I used to live across the street from a guy who made maple (and everything else) syrup. You can never go back to fake after you've had homemade...

Nanci
    "...I'm like the cycling version of the guy in Flowers for Algernon." Mike Magnuson

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseGoldberg
    I have to admit, I can't figure out the robins - I saw a bunch of them several weeks ago as I was out walking in one of our crazy snowstorms. I wonder if some of them break the mold and decide to spend the winters hiding somewhere in New England!

--- Denise
    Yeah, some do overwinter. I've had bluebirds overwinter too! They guy at Cornell doing the bird count didn't believe me till I sent him pictures of my ten bluebirds sitting in the feeders in February with a foot of snow on the ground one year.

Mmm...maple syrup...

Nice photo! Thanks. And nice to see those are "real" taps & buckets and not rubber hosing... I've never been to a sugar house in the spring, and I grew up in NH! Hoping to try to this year.

With this current cold snap, it is hard to believe it's March today!

Quote Originally Posted by Surlygirl
    Yeah, some do overwinter. I've had bluebirds overwinter too! They guy at Cornell doing the bird count didn't believe me till I sent him pictures of my ten bluebirds sitting in the feeders in February with a foot of snow on the ground one year.
    Hey Surly are you doing project feederwatch?

This is our first winter on the project and its great the kids and I have seen so many of your beautiful birds. I can name quite a few now and non bird people laugh and say gee the Aussie knows more of our birds than we do.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Today I felt like "spring." I didn't ride this weekend, but we did the annual spring clean up on the bikes. Today, I wore a spring skirt to work. I am sick of wool. I plan on riding Thursday, maybe Wednesday and Saturday.

Yes!!

And for the first time, I have ridden at least once in every month this year.

A spring skirt? No more complainin' about your New England weather! I'm sitting here in a wool skirt and turtle-sweater with boots. Veronica is a (sturdy) drowned rat due to the giant yellow and red radar blob that just blew through NoCal. Not going to listen to you whine anymore about how us California girls have it so good.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate
    A spring skirt? No more complainin' about your New England weather!
    I'm certainly hoping that we won't have weather complaints next weekend. The forecast is for Saturday temps in the 50s; although that's a few too many days away to believe, maybe it will surprise us and be true.

That would be fitting payment for the weather wizard's tricks last Saturday when I came very close to being forced to the ground by a sudden blast of wind. OK, OK, it was windy for my entire ride, but there was one blast that absolutely stopped my forward movement. It seemed like forever, but I'm sure it only took a second for my foot to automatically react, heel out and lift - ah, my foot hit the ground before my bike and I fell over! (And not to worry, I'm sure my body would have prevented my bike from getting any scratches...)

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Smile

I went out this past weekend, did about 13 miles on Saturday with my new Felt. Not only am I getting used to a new bike with the drop handlbars, I have to get used to the different shifting and braking and I also have my new bike shoes so I practiced clipping and unclipping and clipping again. Sunday I went for a quick ride around town about 10 miles. I couldn't believe how windy it was, pushed me around a couple of times. I made it up a couple of short steep hills (I was worried about shifting) so now I feel a little more confident about riding my bike. I hate to say it but I am wishing the week away hoping for a nice weekend!!

well, DH must be getting antsy with the weather reports for the weekend, 'cause he just called from the bike shop where both bikes are now residing for their annual tune ups! now if I can just stay away from buying a new ride at the bike show in Boston on Friday!
    Barb in the Berkshires
    ~AG~

Wahoooo. Are you guys ready to ride or what? Bring it on. I can't wait to get outside and ride. Anything over 50 and I'm a roadshow!

[QUOTE=Asphaltgirl]well, DH must be getting antsy with the weather reports now if I can just stay away from buying a new ride at the bike show in Boston on Friday!

I thought you said it was your birthday Sounds like a good birthday present to me.

Trekhawk, I did not do the bird count this year but have in the past. I live in the woods so have tons of birds. I even have a couple of Barred Owls that frequent my yard. I taught my kids how to feed the birds from their hands when they were little and they loved it. I keep a camera, binoculars and a bird book in my kitchen.

Spring is here!

Monday night's rain was warm enough to start the salamander migration, I saw 12 non-survivors on the way to work this morning. (I figured no one would want to see photos.) For the rest of us that means Spring, now I'm waiting for the woodcock dances and spring peepers.

"The buckets are in the sugar bush"????

OK... this is not within my experience, I assume these are buckets converted into bird-feeders? Full of sugar? For robins?

What about ants - don't they bother the buckets?

And as for salamander migrations... nope, didn't even realise they migrated! The closest we have in this country (as far as I know) are axolotyls... in pet shops...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".