Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question Can't make a decision! Help!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi ladies,

I've been in the market for my first road bike all summer, and I am really close to making a decision, but I need your help! My initial plan was to buy an aluminium frame endurance geometry bike, preferably with Shimano 105 components. I have ridden the Specialized Dolce Comp, the Trek Lexa SLX, the Cannondale Synapse 5 and the Giant Avail 1. I have decided on the Giant, and have a decent offer from a LBS (1399 tax in). I went to another store on Sunday to ride the Cannondale, and the store carried Giant as well. I asked to ride the Synapse and the Avail 1 to compare them side by side. They didn't have the aluminium avail 1 in stock in my size, so they gave me the Avail 2 composite to try. The Avail 2 is 1899 regular price - out of my budget. The sales guy offered to knock $300 off the price of the Avail 2, bringing it down to 1599 + tax.

My dilemma, now, is that I did like the carbon frame a lot. As this will be my first road bike and my budget is about $1500, I was planning to buy aluminium. I think I would be very happy with the aluminium Avail 1. I find it very comfortable, and it ticks all of my boxes, spec wise.

My question for you ladies, is: is it worth pushing my budget to buy the composite bike now. It is only a little bit more expensive than what I was planning to get, and everyone keeps telling me that I will want a carbon frame in two years anyway. Do you think I will be saving myself an upgrade by buying the better frame now?

-jonesie

Hmmmm. Sources say 'yes.'

Do it. It's a great deal.

Is it this bike? Carbon/105 for $1599.00?
    Seriously. Get it.
    Last edited by Muirenn; 08-11-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

Yeah, Muirenn, that's the one! Matches my shoes too....

It's really pretty.

I would have said get it even if the components are lower, but they aren't. Normally, prioritize by frameset first, then drivetrain, then wheels. If you want to upgrade later, I recommend a carbon stem when you can afford it, it's the cheapest upgrade with the best results you can get, smoothing any bumpiness through the handlebars on rough roads. That and higher end tires. Again, no need to do right away, but both improve ride quality.
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

I tend to be the person on the forum that says boring practical stuff like "stay within your budget" or "eh, do you really need a new bike" but in this case, the price difference is negligible so I recommend taking the plunge and bringing that carbon beauty home.

For that small a price difference, I'd do it in an instant.

I totally agree with everyone above. The price difference is small and worth upgrading to carbon. I am pretty sure that if you don't buy the carbon, after 1 year, you will want to upgrade to a carbon frame. A Giant carbon 105 for $1599 is a good deal. See if your bike shop can throw in a bike fit too.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)