Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

stupid injury, grrrr

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am so mad at myself... We rode downtown to meet friends at a new brewery and then to dinner at our favorite pub. There is a crosswalk light for a major road next to the pub so we use the crossway to get to the best road for biking home. I leaned over to push the crosswalk button and lost my balance and tipped over. In the process I jammed my middle finger on my left hand. My entire knuckle area and finger are now sausage size. Of course some people walked up right as I did that as well (so embarrassing)
    Supposed to do a nice ride with two friends today but not sure my hand is going to be able to grip my bars. What a dork. I guess two beers was over my bike balance limit - actually riding was fine so even worse that I tip over basically while standing.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

So sorry for your injury. Glad to see I'm not the only one to do something like that!!!!!
    2011 Specialized Ruby Comp
    2015 Giant Liv Tempt 3

So sorry you hurt yourself! If it is any consolation, you are not alone in your crosswalk-button-pushing injury - bike club friend of our broke his hip that way!

Since I always unclip and lean left, pushing a crosswalk button is impossible for me, because I fear exactly what happened to you! The only time I ever have to do this, is if I ride to the gym at 5 AM and there isn't enough traffic to trigger the light to stop traffic on the highway I have to cross. It's a 2 part crossing, with a second signal in the center island. I usually just ride across for the first crossing, without pushing the signal for the crosswalk, as there is rarely traffic coming west at that time in the AM, but there is a lot of traffic going east, toward Boston. In addition, the signal is off to the side, up the curb cut for the sidewalk, nowhere near where I am on the road. However, when I get to the island in the middle, the signal is on my left, and I just reach over and push the button. I ride across this intersection all of the time, during daylight hours, and it's just a regular intersection, but without the cars behind me, the first time I did this at 5 AM, I could not get my bike to trigger the automatic signal for the lights to change.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

so in lieu of biking, went for a nice hike in the foothills. Just about stepped on a rattlesnake! - I have learned the dance "Idaho Rattlesnake Shuffle" One big step up and 5 steps back.
    While the snake rattled to warn me he wasn't to interested in anything beyond that - whew. We couldn't even get him to move on by tossing pebbles at him. Sure got my heart rate up in a hurry. Left some markers in the trail to warn others. We had to pass the same area on the way back and he had finally moved on.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Yikes! You just can't win can you? Heal up quick.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Thought that I would offer something healthy/natural. There is a natural oil called Arnica, helps to decrease swelling and discoloration, if you have any. I have used a few times and LOVE it! For me, it seems that oil works better than the gel rub.

Hope you're feeling better!!

Arnica is the best!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I will try the oil. I used the gel on my achilles and was looking all over for it but I must be out.

It could be worse, one of my riding BFF's was visiting her daughter in Portland and did a demo ride on a Santa Cruz, crashed and broke her humerous! Had to walk out two miles. I took her dinner last night - we were laughing about the poem "When I am old, I shall wear purple" Who knew our purple would be in the form of bruises

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    Thought that I would offer something healthy/natural. There is a natural oil called Arnica, helps to decrease swelling and discoloration, if you have any. I have used a few times and LOVE it! For me, it seems that oil works better than the gel rub.

Hope you're feeling better!!
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post
    Who knew our purple would be in the form of bruises
    Oh, that's perfect. And the red hat that doesn't go will be the stitches in our faces.

Love it
    Quote Originally Posted by oakleaf View Post
    oh, that's perfect. And the red hat that doesn't go will be the stitches in our faces. :d
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

What an exciting life you lead!

Love the purple/red references!
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Those red hat women are loud and obnoxious. I always see them when I go out to lunch at the Fruitlands Museum in Harvard, MA. It's a lovely, serene setting with great food and my lunch has been ruined more than once by this group. They seem to revel in how loud they can be. I don't know, something about this doesn't sit right with me. I would prefer not to get old, but, since I am, I am trying my best not to look or act it.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Heh. I kind of meant the poem more than the organization, but it's a fine line, I guess. Being old enough not to care what others think, vs. exhibiting the solipsism and entitlement that I often see ...

Yeah, I do get the poem. These women, though, just take it too far.
    Sorry if I offended anyone. I am old enough not to care what others think, but, then, I've pretty much been like that all my life!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura