Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sit bones, callouses and what else?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Greetings!! I'm a newbie to this forum and back in the saddle after a few decades off. I've learned about the dreaded "sit bones," experiencing callouses, and wondering what else should this street rider study up on? I love this forum, and thrilled to be here! I know my query might be a bit open ended, so if you would prefer not to go into detail, I'd appreciate one or two words for things I should read up on specific to us women and I'll search this forum for the threads and read them until my iPad battery dies...then I'm going for a ride! I don't have any friends who ride, so other than my LBS This forum is my #1 source!! Thankyou !!!
    Last edited by Seahorsedeb; 06-13-2014 at 07:06 PM.

Welcome! I can't think of anything that is women specific, but I wanted to welcome you. This is a great group of women with a lot of knowledge.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

You need to be specific. What do you mean by callouses?
    Saddle sores? Abrasions?
    Search threads about saddle sores, shorts, and chamois butter!
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

not to mention any references to time in the saddle (TITS ) or saddle fit and position. Welcome!
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Welcome Seahorsedeb... my advice would be to just read, read, read everything you can, and then just go out and do. The more you are out riding, the more you will discover what works and what doesn't for YOU. But just know it's not unusual for it to take a little time to feel comfortable in the saddle if you haven't been riding for a long while.

Since you are in Washington the STATE, check out the website for Cycle the Wave...a women's ride that happens in September. They have links to some girl-specific information, here is a link to their newsletter:

http://archive.constantcontact.com/f...119192546.html

There is a lecture series sponsored by a physical therapy group that might be interesting for you if you live in the area.

Good luck!
    "Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far"

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    Welcome! I can't think of anything that is women specific, but I wanted to welcome you. This is a great group of women with a lot of knowledge.
    Thankyou very much! I'm delighted to be here!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    You need to be specific. What do you mean by callouses?
    Saddle sores? Abrasions?
    Search threads about saddle sores, shorts, and chamois butter!
    You're quite correct...I should have stated "calloused hands." I did but some gel padded gloves. They seem to be helping :-)

Quote Originally Posted by marni View Post
    not to mention any references to time in the saddle (TITS ) or saddle fit and position. Welcome!
    Time in the saddle... 6 days and adding up more! I went back to the LBS and they double checked my fit, nothing seems to be off.

AppleTree, I'm most interested as I've had two shoulder surgeries, always looking to take care of myself and stay fit for life and fit for scuba. Thanks for the URL!