Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Bike Racks

Bike Racks

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just bought a 2014 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen. Looking into bike racks for this vehicle. I want to stay away from roof racks (I'm sure I'd be that person in the insurance commercial who drives into the garage with the bikes on the roof). I'm more inclined to have a hitch added to the car and go with a hitch rack.

Can anyone give me some thoughts on which 2-bike hitch racks are really good and which to stay away from? Would like something that is really secure for highway trips, but is still easy to get the bike on and secured.

Thanks for your input!

Dana
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 2
    2013 Trek 7.2 WSD

We have the Kuat and love it. My other choice was 1 Up. Got the Kuat because our club store carried it and we got a discount.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

We have the Thule Helium. It's a 2 bike hitch rack and lighter than most, though definitely not the cheapest. We drive a Honda Fit and it's not exactly a big truck that can carry a heavy rack. We have used it on long distance trips from Arizona to Washington state and Colorado with no problems.

*One issue with hitch racks- we were cited by local police because our rack obscured our license plate. To avoid a $200 fine, we ordered a lit license plate holder and my husband rigged up a mount that attached to the bottom of the bike rack, then had a U-haul dealer hook up the lighting system. He went to court with pictures and didn't have to pay the fine. The policeman who originally cited him actually commended him in court for making a great effort to remedy the problem. Thule does not currently have any accessories to reposition the license plate.
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Quote Originally Posted by azfiddle View Post

*One issue with hitch racks- we were cited by local police because our rack obscured our license plate.
    I saw a Thule 2 bike rear rack in REI this past week that had a well done license plate holder on the lower back of it. Hopefully more manufactures will start doing that.

eta..dana, both yakima and thule make excellent quality racks. as azfiddle wrote you do have to pay more for that though.
    Last edited by rebeccaC; 06-07-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    ‘The negative feelings we all have can be addictive…just as the positive…it’s up to
    us to decide which ones we want to choose and feed”… Pema Chodron

Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    We have the Kuat and love it. My other choice was 1 Up. Got the Kuat because our club store carried it and we got a discount.
    We just got ours. I bought the matching locking pin, too, since mine is always on my Kia. It was the best choice and we LOVE it. The most secure rack I have ever owned and also the lightest. Also, it's a Missouri company, so yay! Also, I had a problem with my hitch not fitting the fitting they sent me and they overnighted me a part at NO cost to me to solve the issue. EXCELLENT customer service there at Kuat. My Dad said he likes the rack as much as his very expensive rack (which I think is a Thule) after driving the car around with the rack on.

I couldn't get a platform rack because it would always cover my plate. The current rack works great.And since I am going to be in Canada in a little over 2 days driving, I wanted to minimize my getting pulled over risk with a rack covering the plate. I have heard mixed stories about this. I also worry about it in IL and IN, too, but not as much.
    ***proud Hoosier, statistics nerd, and mom to a headstrong toddler***
    ****one car family and loving it!****

Owned by:
    Le Monstre Vert - 2013 Surly Cross-check
    Chessie, Scottish Terrier
    Bonzai, Catahoula Leopard Dog

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Really torn between the Kuat and 1Up. Love a lot of things on both of them. Big decision to make. ��
    2014 Giant Defy Composite 2
    2013 Trek 7.2 WSD

I have the 1up and love it. Getting the bike on and off is a breeze and takes no time at all. I like that I can have it for just one bike most of the time, but can add the extension for two.