Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbie here checking in!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello Everyone!

I am a newbie for sure. For Mother's Day this year I bought myself a hybrid bike, Ariel Sport. Before 2 weeks ago I hadn't been on a bike in 12 years! Anyway I decided I needed a change. There is a local trail I found in my town that goes for 33 miles. This past Sunday I managed to ride 12 miles on it. It is mostly small crushed stone and some paved and very scenic.

I am also involved in a local Bike Camp that runs for 4 weeks that teaches you some basics. Last night I did my first road ride (16 miles) and I must say the hills kicked my butt for sure!

I need to consider something different than just the stock flat pedals. I had thought about going with a toe clip pedal to start. Clipless pedals scare me to tell the truth.

Anyway so far I think I am doing good. I will post pics of my bike soon once I figure out how

Happy mother's day!! Welcome to TE.

- Gray Trek Madone 4.7 road bike, mystery crack in top tube repaired by Calfee, Bontrager Affinity RXL saddle
    - Red Trek 6000 mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver Trek 2000 road bike
    - Two awesome and worn out Juliana saddles

The toe clips would be a great 1st choice with minimal investment. I used those for 2 years before going clipless!

Thanks, I read about the toe clips being a good 1st choice. I am glad they work for you. I am not ready to go clipless just yet

welcome to the slippery slope of being addicted to biking. Its a steep learning curve but you will enjoy every minute.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Just my opinion, but toe clips seemed a lot more scary to me than just going clip less. Having to reach down and tighten a strap ?
    If you don't want to try clip less, I'd recommend Power Straps. They simulate the motion of clip less, and are velcro straps that go across flat pedals. I've known several people that were pretty happy with them and were able to smoothly make the transition to clip less from them.

http://bicycling.about.com/od/equipm...ower_grips.htm
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Bedtime for me but will get back to you with the toe clip I bought a few weeks ago and super happy.

For me the sheer idea toe clips were terrifying. Instead I went with good quality BMX pedals. The pins will grip onto your shoes and help keep them into place. I rode many metric centuries with them, long before I moved to Speedplay Frogs. There are many options out there, you don't have to go with toe clips (tightening straps??????) or clipless pedals.

I'm back.

I had flat pedals last year (could not dream yet of using clipless). During winter, I practiced on trainer with the clipless and it was good. I had noticed an issue on the left cleat but thought it was me.

I ended up doing a ride Easter weekend, with clipless and landed 3 bad falls, with minor injuries, still requiring a bit of physiotherapy, and some visible scratches still to heal.

So I lost confidence for time-being in those. I had to find a quick solution and go back to flats but wanted something better than the standard I had previously on bike.

Went to a local bikeshop and saw a nice pair of spinning shoes that had nice soles.
    Not too bumpy so the grip is perfect. http://www.artscyclery.com/Giro_Wome...age-GIWWS.html

The tech told me to try these clips.

I did not want to "lock" my feet again. Too traumatized. hihi

Well I did 100km (+/- 60 miles) this past weekends (and other outings prior to that) and never once I lost my footing. I can still push up hills. I can get out very quickly if needed (and it did happen once or twice I had to do an emergency stop. I was glad to have those shoes on.

One day I may (or may simply not) go back to clipless. But for the time being, it serves me very well and I'm confident in those knowing I don't have to think to unclip in the event of an emergency. I have enough controlling my bike, without thinking of shoes. At 51YO, I don't need broken bones or worst.

So you may want to look into this for now and go where your heart and head want to go. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Helene2013 View Post
    I'm back.

I had flat pedals last year (could not dream yet of using clipless). During winter, I practiced on trainer with the clipless and it was good. I had noticed an issue on the left cleat but thought it was me.

I ended up doing a ride Easter weekend, with clipless and landed 3 bad falls, with minor injuries, still requiring a bit of physiotherapy, and some visible scratches still to heal.

So I lost confidence for time-being in those. I had to find a quick solution and go back to flats but wanted something better than the standard I had previously on bike.

Went to a local bikeshop and saw a nice pair of spinning shoes that had nice soles.
    Not too bumpy so the grip is perfect. http://www.artscyclery.com/Giro_Wome...age-GIWWS.html

The tech told me to try these clips.

I did not want to "lock" my feet again. Too traumatized. hihi

Well I did 100km (+/- 60 miles) this past weekends (and other outings prior to that) and never once I lost my footing. I can still push up hills. I can get out very quickly if needed (and it did happen once or twice I had to do an emergency stop. I was glad to have those shoes on.

One day I may (or may simply not) go back to clipless. But for the time being, it serves me very well and I'm confident in those knowing I don't have to think to unclip in the event of an emergency. I have enough controlling my bike, without thinking of shoes. At 51YO, I don't need broken bones or worst.

So you may want to look into this for now and go where your heart and head want to go. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Wow! I have never seen toe clips like that. I would have totally used something like that when I first started biking prior to going clipless while road biking. I didn't like toe clips/toe baskets because I was worried about my shoe catching in the toe basket. I wonder if these would work for mountain biking since I am using flat pedals for mountain biking. Hmmmm.

By the way, I just looked up toe clips similar to this one. There are also steel and chrome versions too.
    Last edited by TigerMom; 05-22-2014 at 08:16 AM.
    2014 Liv Lust
    2013 Specialized Fate Expert with carbon wheelset (sold)
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals (sold)

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

I don't know for mountain bike though as I have not tried it on rougher terrains. It has very good grip and your feet stay put in them but never tried them in rain, or "muddy" condition.

Forgot to say I also got flat pedals that are much better too than the "cheaper" standards they'd normally put on your bike. Not too big either for a road bike. I don't know the name/brand but they are much smaller, grip is not over the top but not slippery either. Did not want to scratch my legs with the pedal pins everytime I hit the pedals when coming on/off the bike. I could take a picture though...or check my invoice for the name.

The toe-clips were not expensive. Around $10. These are the exact one. : Evo Double Quick Toe-Clips For ATB/Hybrid Black. No need for straps