Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down routine colonoscopy prep.

To disable ads, please log-in.

On the third day of clear and and semisolid liquid diet I rediscover the joy of jello.

I definitely prefer chicken broth to beef.

Now the long night of bowel prep begins. I have my computer, book and a blanket in next to the toilet. Whee! I will be sol glad when this is over tomorrow.

Fortunately it is only once every five years. Just long enough to make the whole process new again each time.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Oh joy! I just scheduled mine for next month. Hang in there!

Yep. The prep is worse than the procedure itself, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Yep. The prep is worse than the procedure itself, IMHO.
    Totally true, Snap.

Because I have a genetic error that significantly increases my risk of mortality from colon cancer, I get to have a colonoscopy every year or every two years...we haven't quite settled on which yet. Beaucoup de fun!
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

Three days??

I will be turning 50 this year so was expecting to have one of these things. If I have to be on a liquid diet for three days I will have to spend three days in bed, I won't be able to function.

But then I have no one to drive me there and back, since I live alone and have no family in the area, so it may not happen anyway.

- Gray 2010 carbon WSD road bike, Rivet Independence saddle
    - Red hardtail 26" aluminum mountain bike, Bontrager Evoke WSD saddle
    - Royal blue 2018 aluminum gravel bike, Rivet Pearl saddle

Gone but not forgotten:
    - Silver 2003 aluminum road bike
    - Two awesome worn out Juliana saddles

Quote Originally Posted by salsabike View Post
    Totally true, Snap.

Because I have a genetic error that significantly increases my risk of mortality from colon cancer, I get to have a colonoscopy every year or every two years...we haven't quite settled on which yet. Beaucoup de fun!
    Ugh. I have another friend who gets one yearly, he's considered high risk because of his family history.

Quote Originally Posted by ny biker View Post
    Three days??

I will be turning 50 this year so was expecting to have one of these things. If I have to be on a liquid diet for three days I will have to spend three days in bed, I won't be able to function.

But then I have no one to drive me there and back, since I live alone and have no family in the area, so it may not happen anyway.
    It might depend on the doctor. I only had to do one day of the liquid diet.

I don't know anyone who has to be on a liquid diet for 3 days. I had to eat low fiber foods for 3 days, then like a half a day of jello type stuff and a few hours of liquid, along with the horrible stuff that is supposed to make you "go." That stuff didn't work that great on me. The procedure itself was nothing, but unlike my DH, I was awake through the whole thing! Feeling no pain, but awake. The doc gave me a tour of my GI system on the screen. He actually asked me if I had done the prep, as it was hard for him to se, but I had drank every last bit of the stuff.
    I came home and ordered take out Indian food.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Coincidentally I had my lst one just a couple days after my 55th birthday earlier this year.

They squeezed me in for an appointment on determining right method and then, the actual screening the next day...which meant with 30 hrs. I had to stop eating, drink the prep crap and go to the toilet tons of time. I had no choice because dearie is the only person I knew who could take me home during a normal working day.

Patients are given photos of their colon. Mine is clean and pink. Wonderful. As usual they had problems inserting light anaesthesia needles in my veins....like trying to find my veins.

I think I lost 5 lbs. temporarily and drastically for prep. in a short period of time. I was medicated out during the procedure. Fine by me.

I don't need to get 2nd one until a decade later. Fine by me.

It certainly helps me to cycle often...for bowel motility.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

well as you say the prep is the worst. the event itself went fine, no polyps (that is why every 5 years).

I agree with the loss of ability to think. I have been trying to warp up my small Navajo frame loom for and upcoming weaving demo at a cotton gin festival and I spent three hours today trying to figure out how to do the final step and giving up- I have been doing one of these every three to four months so it's not like this is a new process.

the most aggravating part of the day was that after spending a couple of hours prefilling out all of there forms and permissions on line, after we had gotten there and signed in, another three forms to initial, they kept us waiting for an hour and a half, when we asked why they had had us come in so early they told us it was to fill out the registration forms- three initials and a signature! they didn't actually even start the procedure until 2:45 and I was home by 4:00 with a half hour commute each way accounted for,45 minutes of actual medical stuff. and five hours out of my husbands work day .

something is very wrong with this system .

Came home had a bran muffin, a coup of tea and am feeling completely whole again.

Re the prolonged clear liquid fast- the dr. says it makes the whole prep easier. Yeah right. The anaestheseologist was all set to panic over my low heart rate until I splained him about my training regimine.

thanks for the sympathies and good luck to all of you who are on the same journey.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    It might depend on the doctor. I only had to do one day of the liquid diet.
    +1

I had to eat a light, bland diet two days before, then the liquid started the day before the prep. It was not that bad. I did the prep over the weekend and had the procedure done on a Monday -- got a day off work, so I wasn't too upset! If you schedule it this way, it's best to do it at a time of the year when you wouldn't be riding on the weekend anyway...like in the dead of winter.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Ah, the prep! I've had 3 already. No nuts, low fiber, the week before, liquid/clear diet the day of the prep. At some point each time I got really cold and shivering. If I had to do 3 days of a liquid, clear, diet, I would not make it alive. With one day of prep, the IV at the hospital feels great. Re heart rate and blood pressure, I trigger all the alarms!

Someone I know proved that the cautionary "don't take important decisions" after the procedure is true: the day after, she had to call a couple of shops to cancel orders she had made and could not remember what she had ordered.

ny_biker: I've always taken a cab to the hospital (I feel absolutely anti-social after the prep) and had a friend pick me up after the procedure. The nurses can actually call someone when you are close to being released, just take a piece of paper with the name and phone.

Wow, an asethesiologist? I guess you were really out. Also a way to jack up the price.
    I had a nurse give me an IV... Valium and something else. I wouldn't have had the colonoscopy if I had been under a general anesthetic, which scares me to death. I've only had one surgery (emergency) where I've had to have that and if I have any say, it will never happen again. I know 3 people who died from anesthetic.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Yup, DH called me when he was done with his, from the recovery room. He had no memory of that or anything, when the nurse called and said to come get him.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

I completely slept through mine but it was not general anesthesia. Whatever it was, I had no memory between lying down on my side on the table and then waking up when it was all over. I only wish I could do the same for all dental procedures...even cleanings!

My DH was awake for his two colonoscopies and was able to watch, though he was groggy. We went to different docs, so it's entirely possible they used different levels or types of anesthesia, or people just react differently to basically the same "cocktail".

I've had general anesthesia three times for different surgeries and have no problems with it, but it certainly isn't necessary nor typically used for colonoscopies.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

It's not really anesthesia for colonoscopies or EGDs, but drugs that induce 'conscious sedation': versed, propofol... You are able to respond to commands, but typically don't have a memory of it. As it wears off, you can fool the doctors, too. A doctor thought I was fully conscious and had a conversation with me after a procedure; I have no memory of that conversation. For the EGD, I had a local anesthetic sprayed down my throat right before the sedation kicked in.