Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Sack/cold lunch, paleo ish? Need ideas.

To disable ads, please log-in.

The short version is I am currently doing diet modifications mainly for digestive issues. I'm sort of following paleo concepts, but am not full paleo by a long shot. Mostly I'm wheat/gluten free for now, minimal dairy and minimal sugar.
    I need ideas for sack lunches and tupperware lunches for ski days! I had no idea how dependent I've been on sandwiches or pasta leftovers. Cold lunches seem to be the biggest challenge. Yesterday for a full ski day I had cooked yam, chicken and cold broccoli for lunch from a container. It really didn't say with me. I was ready for a snack within 1- 1/2 hours after lunch. I tend to fill pockets with raw almonds, carrot sticks and high quality bars.
    With a probable powder day coming up, I really need to get this together. Any ideas?

thx
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Maybe your lunch needs a little more fat. Could you add something with guacamole or peanut butter?

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

I agree with V. Change the meat on the meal you ate to high quality steak, and you'd be good to go. Or add avocado or mayo to your chicken...

My favorite go-to cold meal is tuna salad on a big bed of greens. I use tuna packed in oil, homemade mayo, celery and onions in the salad part and then I dump it on a bed of spinach/baby kale and red pepper strips. If I know it'll be a long day, I'll top it with some avocado chunks for extra 'staying power'.

Lettuce wraps with either the above tuna salad, or cold steak and avocado are good, too. Or lunch meats, rolled around stuff is good as well. I like roast beef or turkey with avocado, red pepper strips and and spinach in the roll-up.

I also make kale meatballs (kale, onion, sausage and ground beef and spices) that are good cold and very filling. I carried a bunch of these in zip lock baggies on our kayak trip a few summers go and ate them as snacks. As long as you can have a little soft-sided cooler with and ice pack, you are good to go!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

GLC how often do you eat tuna? Your tuna salad sounds really good.

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Hummus made with plenty of tahini, scooped with veggie sticks and/or lettuce wraps

Meatloaf lettuce wraps
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    GLC how often do you eat tuna? Your tuna salad sounds really good.

Veronica
    Maybe once a week?

I'm lucky in that I have a fridge and a microwave at my disposal at work. Though, I do like tuna on days I bike to work because I pack it in plastic as opposed to glass (like all the things I reheat) and it weighs less! ;-)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

I was having a similar issue, my lunch just wasn't staying with me. I added roasted yams with pieces of cut up avocado--yummm! The yams and avocado combination was delicious. And the avocado was very filling. I generally eat vegetarian so I am limited in my protein options. I will also pile on chia seeds and various nuts on my salad. I don't know what it is about the chi seeds, but it seems to keep the hangry away. I also make my own salad dressing using raw almonds, apple cider vinegar, fruit and various seasonings.
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog

stuffed eggs, little packages of smoked salmon and lettuce (great for wraps). Wraps with salmon or chicken, chicken/steak salad and avocado. Personally I think that almond butter mixed with raisins is crack. When I go hiking I will generally take nitrate free jerky, dried cherries and pecans or walnuts. Hazelnuts and Brazil nuts are also good for this. I also enjoy pork meatballs, I've several "go to" snacks depending on if I will have access to my cooler or not.