Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Making roasting veggies naturally juicier/with more sauce

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just had some roasted beets, butternut squash pieces, tomato slices, onions and garlic ....served over some noodles.

I just cut up the veggies into an olive oiled baking dish. Just roasted.

Tasted nice, "pure". But if it wasn't for the tomato, the dish would have been dry. What /when would you put in fresh herbs if any? What else would you do to create more natural sauce/juice for this dish?
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

More olive oil? What oven temperature are you using? I've never had an issue with vegetables drying out while roasting.

Herbs won't stand up to oven roasting. I might finely julienne basil and/or parsley and sprinkle them on just before serving. But if I start with good fresh vegetables, I don't always add anything besides salt and pepper - they've got plenty of flavor on their own.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

How big were the pieces? I won't go smaller than about 1" cubes, because they do tend to dry out. I'll also toss the veggies in olive oil.

I've also done roasted root veggies and poured some apple cider and nutmeg over the top. That was tasty. I might have to make that again.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Apple cider sounds good. Maybe I might put in some balsamic vinegar midway during the roasting time.

Cubes were that size. Or smaller. Oven at 350 degrees F.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I would put the oven at 400 or 425F. That's what most recipes call for. A lower temperature will definitely promote dryng. I would be reluctant to add much sugar, including balsamic vinegar, for fear that it would burn.

I'm still betting that you aren't using enough oil. That's your "sauce." We will drizzle good oil at the table too, but the oil you roast the veggies in will acquire some of their flavor.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

roasted veggies

The main thing is to toss the veggies in olive oil to be sure they are all covered with a thin film. Could mix a little balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.

For example these are some of my favorite combinations.

For green veggies, I toss with olive oil, S&P, and might drizzle some balsamic reduction over top when serving.

I do summer veggies (eggplant, zuchinni, yellow squash, red onion, red pepper) with 3 T. Red wine vinegar, 2 tsp. olive oil, & 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped

Potatoes, Brussels sprouts and bacon gets 1 T. each olive oil and prepared Dijon mustard, salt & pepper

Acorn squash, shallots, rosemary gets 3T olive oil, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, salt & pepper

But I have to say, I'm really having trouble getting my head wrapped around a combination of beets, tomatoes, and squash....
    Martha
    Work hard, be nice.
    Read a book.

But I have to say, I'm really having trouble getting my head wrapped around a combination of beets, tomatoes, and squash....
    It's delicious. I've done it several times before. Don't forget onions and garlic, peppers too.

Ok, turn up oven heat and toss veggies in oil before putting into pan. 2 things I must do next time.

Your dish sounds nice but to add more sauce and herbs you could do this: bake a bit extra in the oven and before serving, Mash some of the veggies in a large saucepan. add some water so they don't stick while cooking over a lo/med heat. Then add some butter and fresh herbs along with any extra salt and pepper. Now would be a good time to put in the balsamic vinegar. Serve over the roasted veggies as your sauce. Also, there is a item at most health food stores called Brags Liquid Aminos- it is a fermented product and very good for you and works VERY nice with veggies and sauces.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Apple cider sounds good. Maybe I might put in some balsamic vinegar midway during the roasting time.

Cubes were that size. Or smaller. Oven at 350 degrees F.
    I think that's your problem. You want larger cubes because they have less surface area to pull moisture from, and a higher oven temp. If you go lower they'll have to sit in the oven longer. Add a little bit more oil too. Just coat lightly.

Also, if you do the apple cider route, add it in the last 15 minutes or so, or reduce it on the stove a bit first.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    I just had some roasted beets, butternut squash pieces, tomato slices, onions and garlic ....served over some noodles.

I just cut up the veggies into an olive oiled baking dish. Just roasted.

Tasted nice, "pure". But if it wasn't for the tomato, the dish would have been dry. What /when would you put in fresh herbs if any? What else would you do to create more natural sauce/juice for this dish?
    Sounds great! Every vegie has its happy place. I might have chopped garlic, shallots princess tiny fine and sauteed them till translucent. Mixed that with herbed olive oil. Not herbs and olive oil because as someone pointed out that can burn while roasting but made into a nice oil. More like oil you've set aside; pepper oil, basil oil etc.

Squash often takes longer to cook than beets regardless of relative size of the vegie bits. Give it a head start and roast the squash first brushing it with the oil. Then cube and add with beets and roast together both brushed with that oil we just made.

Haven't decided what's best for the tomatoes lots of possibilities. I once made a marvelous enchilada sauce of roasted red peppers, red tomatoes and garlic blended with a hand mixer. So the roasted tomatoes could be the pasta sauce with squash, beets on top?
    Last edited by Trek420; 10-27-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/