Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Newbie Intro

Newbie Intro

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello! My dh found this forum for me in the hopes that I will find the support and encouragement to continue this cycling thing we've started. I'll admit to being a bit intimidated by all the new information I'm learning. I seriously haven't been on a bike since I was a kid. This first week on a bike has made me think I'm too old/fat/out of shape for this LOL!
    I'm a 40 yr old homeschooling mom to three kids and we all have been riding together as a family for a week now. Any tips, ideas, reminders, or "did you think of this" are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Many, many of us got back into cycling as older adults, not that 40 is even that old. Quite a few of us have hit higher decades and are still riding strong, and, if you are out of shape, then cycling is exactly what you should be doing! Just have fun riding as a family. Make sure everyone has a well-fitting helmet that stays buckled on their heads, even if it is on a trail or greenway. Greenway asphalt is just as hard as highway asphalt. If you start building up your distance and the bike saddle is uncomfortable, you can change saddles and also get padded bike shorts or a padded liner to wear under your own shorts. What kinds of places are you riding?

Grits

2010 Trek 5.2 Madone WSD, SI Diva Gel Flow
    2002 Terry Classic, Terry Liberator

Heya, and welcome!

Many many here started riding late, many are much older than you are. And I think we must have heard about every question there is to ask :-) So bring it on.

A few points that may or may not be useful:

beginners improve at different speeds. Don't be discouraged if you find your husband getting stronger and faster quicker than you, he's got testosterone on his side... Try riding just with your kids sometimes, or with other friends every now and then. Don't obsess about speed! There's ALWAYS someone faster and fitter than you are. But they aren't necessarily enjoying the ride any more :-)

your butt probably will hurt to begin with. Part of it is bruising, or sore sit bones, which feels like two very sore spots right where you put your weight. It goes away fast, after a week or so. If you're still sore, or get chafed skin, you probably need a better saddle. Lots of info here on this site. A good saddle and good quality bike shorts are really important if you want to keep riding, if you're uncomfortable most of the time it just won't be fun.

do wear a helmet, and make sure it's snug but comfortable.

the weight of your bike does matter, even though it may sound odd that a lb or two is noticeable. Nothing to obsess about, but it's not all about the strength of the rider.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Welcome! You're definitely not too old or too out of shape. I started back at age 50, and couldn't do three miles without thinking I was going to die. I'm now riding 100-200 miles a week because I'm having fun. I could still drop a few pounds, but........

Right now, just have fun with your family. If it's not fun, it's not worth it. Push yourself little by little when you're ready.
    2013 Kirk Frameworks JK Special/Selle Anatomica
    2012 Gunnar Sport/Brooks B17
    2001 Calfee Tetra Pro/Selle Anatomica
    1984 Raleigh Sport/Brooks B66

Re: Newbie Intro

I started at 42 and could barely do 10 miles. Last weekend I just did 63. I've dropped 60lbs. Riding is great! Take it one day at a time.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

I've already learned the hard way about saddles! I've been through 4 already until I got a different bike and discovered I was leaning too far forward and the lady bits were getting squished. My new bike has some adjustment room that the first one didn't have. Raising my handle bars helped, along with the seat that came on my Trek. So other than toughening up the sit bones, I think I'm alright. We've discovered some riding paths near our home that were good for getting started, easy for the kids, no real inclines, that kind of thing. Hubby definitely has an advantage over me, he is a big guy and has legs like iron naturally, so he has taken to this like a duck to water. I have a typical "mom" body so I'm kind trying to go slow and work my way up. I did almost two miles today with my son. I actually felt like I could have gone a bit farther, but it's about 100 degrees here, so I bailed out long before I could really work up a good pace. The best part by far has been seeing my whole family spend time together and see my almost 13 yr old daughter actually come out of her room voluntarily and get actual sunlight!LOL

Hmm, somehow my replies didn't post. Hope I'm not repeating myself. Anyway, yes I had some saddle issues, tried 3 of them before realizing the bike was just all wrong for me. I found a Trek on Craigslist and it made all the difference. No more squished lady bits! It had some adjustment room that my first bike didn't have. Now to just work on toughening up those sit bones. We've been riding mostly in the neighborhood, and found some really easy bike trails near our town. They were really good for taking the kids out on our first big ride. By big ride I mean like 5 miles! Hubby did a solo ride last night of 10 miles on a very hilly stretch of road and didn't have much trouble with it. He definitely has an advantage on me. I'm not worried about keeping up, I'm ok with going at my own pace. I am curious about breathable undergarments. Any particular sports bras ya'll would recommend?

You are never too old. I started back when I was 39 and my first ride was 2.5 miles and I literally was ready to bail (read that as DIE) at one mile. I now have ridden up to 60 miles and want to do a full 100 mile ride this year.

Some early advice is DON'T GIVE UP!! I almost gave up when I reached my 10 mile mark and my 30 mile mark on rides and the more time I spent riding the more I started to enjoy it. Don't worry how many people pass you, are faster than you, climb hills better than you, or say to you. Learn to enjoy the ride and then you will WANT to ride more and farther. This is a great forum to ask anything you want and get lots of help and "been there done that" stories to help you along your way. Just keep riding.
    You don't have to be the fastest to go the distance.

2013 Specialized Ruby Elite Compact Apex
    2013 Giant Avail

I agree. I'm 40 & just started riding maybe 2 1/2 years ago. I've actually lost about 30 lbs riding with dh. He's pretty bike ninja but I don't mind. I'm not the best cyclist but I'm certainly not the worst either & we have fun going out together. My biggest tip is to get a good bike fitting, then just have fun.

I dunno about breathable ... I'm a silly girly girl & I like to rock a push up VS sports bra. Again, have fun!
    “Though she be but little, she is fierce!” -Shakespeare

welcom to your 'OTHER FAMILY' since we are all on the same journey, just different phases and stages, and here for each other. I started riding when I was 57 and at first it killed me to do a mile. I just turned 65 . am over 100 pounds lighter and have done three cross country rides. It can be done. Use the bike paths, and enjoy the experience for yourself, you are only in competition with yourself. The lesson of the day from my trainer is its better to be DNF than DNS (Did not finish than did not start.) My motto for this year is " SFRL" which is seldom fast, rarely last.

Take good cheer in the process, it can be done.

happy biking miles to you ad yours.
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."