Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Europe
    Posts
    46

    Is a fully a good choice? (back pains)

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I know I know, I just got my lobster last weekend

    But my BF is selling his Titus Rockstar 29er, because he's buying a another bike. It's a good price he gave me :-) and I think the bike fits me, I'll give it a try on the weekend.

    I've got different problems with my back and joints.

    Does anyone ride a fully because of medical problems or similar issues?

    Big decisions
    2010 Rock Lobster - mtb converted to commuter bike
    2010 Kona Dr. Lisa - commuter
    2011 Titus Rockstar 29er - Full suspension

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    the dry side
    Posts
    4,403
    It will be a smoother ride, certainly.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    1,352
    If you mean a full suspension I love mine A lot of people will tell you that you need to start out on a hard tail, but I personally disagree with that. Since getting my FS I'm willing to try a lot more things than I was willing to on my hard tail and I don't feel as beat up. There is something to be said for a HT though, they are a lot of fun and if I ever get the funds I plan on a 29 HT.
    2012 Jamis Quest Brooks B17 Blue
    2012 Jamis Dakar XC Comp SI Ldy Gel
    2013 Electra Verse

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    6,132
    I don't have any physical issues that drove my decision to buy a FS bike, but yes, it is a nicer ride. That said, do you have back pain in general or are you having discomfort riding your new bike? If it's the latter, it could be that the fit or set up is off. Make an appointment with a fitter to see if there are things you can do to help. Or, if you're new to biking, it could be a matter of building some additional fitness and core strength--keeping in mind that you may have to work on building that fitness both on and off the bike.

    Whether you're on a FS bike or a HT, it's important to remember that your own body is part of your suspension. Especially if you get out of the saddle for obstacles, you can make better use of your arms and legs to help absorb shocks.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

    --Mary Anne Radmacher

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Europe
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    If you mean a full suspension I love mine A lot of people will tell you that you need to start out on a hard tail, but I personally disagree with that. Since getting my FS I'm willing to try a lot more things than I was willing to on my hard tail and I don't feel as beat up. There is something to be said for a HT though, they are a lot of fun and if I ever get the funds I plan on a 29 HT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    It will be a smoother ride, certainly.
    Thanks girls, it sounds promising
    Last edited by Devold; 11-29-2012 at 11:57 AM.
    2010 Rock Lobster - mtb converted to commuter bike
    2010 Kona Dr. Lisa - commuter
    2011 Titus Rockstar 29er - Full suspension

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Europe
    Posts
    46

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I don't have any physical issues that drove my decision to buy a FS bike, but yes, it is a nicer ride. That said, do you have back pain in general or are you having discomfort riding your new bike? If it's the latter, it could be that the fit or set up is off. Make an appointment with a fitter to see if there are things you can do to help. Or, if you're new to biking, it could be a matter of building some additional fitness and core strength--keeping in mind that you may have to work on building that fitness both on and off the bike.

    Whether you're on a FS bike or a HT, it's important to remember that your own body is part of your suspension. Especially if you get out of the saddle for obstacles, you can make better use of your arms and legs to help absorb shocks.
    It's not my new bike. It's my back in general. I do core training in gym three times a weekend. I'm new to mtb and doesn't ride wild or tecnical - it will never happen

    Nice tips, I'll remember them
    2010 Rock Lobster - mtb converted to commuter bike
    2010 Kona Dr. Lisa - commuter
    2011 Titus Rockstar 29er - Full suspension

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,956
    Your back will appreciate the full suspension

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Europe
    Posts
    46
    I looooooove my new bike, though I haven't paid for it yet We took a long bike ride in differents forests today and The Titus Rockstar rocks She plows through everything and rolls perfectly

    **** I'm a lucky girl, because I have the best BF in the world







    Last edited by Devold; 12-01-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Type errors
    2010 Rock Lobster - mtb converted to commuter bike
    2010 Kona Dr. Lisa - commuter
    2011 Titus Rockstar 29er - Full suspension

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Rowland Hts, CA
    Posts
    473
    A Titus full susupension 29er....Wow! I'm jealous (but happy for you) even though I just bought the Santa Cruz Juliana.

    Hopefully, this solves your problems. If not, don't forget to get a certified bike fitting.

    ______________________________________________________
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts
    10,956
    I've heard so many good things about Titus, congratulations! It looks like you have some great places to ride as well, sweet!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    4,713
    Ooh, pretty--both the scenery and the bike. Congratulations!

    BTW: It seems like the reason many people tell you to start out with a hardtail is 1) money (you don't necessarily want to sink a ton of money into something that may not stick); 2) you learn better bike-handling skills with a hardtail because you can't rely on the rear suspension. Also, here at least, you don't really need full suspension.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

    2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

    2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva


    Saving for the next one...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Traveling Nomad
    Posts
    6,662
    Gorgeous Titus! I am still missing my Racer X...
    Emily

    2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Europe
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
    A Titus full susupension 29er....Wow! I'm jealous (but happy for you) even though I just bought the Santa Cruz Juliana.

    Hopefully, this solves your problems. If not, don't forget to get a certified bike fitting.

    ______________________________________________________
    2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle
    2010 Santa Cruz Juliana with R kit and Crampon pedals
    2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I've heard so many good things about Titus, congratulations! It looks like you have some great places to ride as well, sweet!
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlie View Post
    Ooh, pretty--both the scenery and the bike. Congratulations!

    BTW: It seems like the reason many people tell you to start out with a hardtail is 1) money (you don't necessarily want to sink a ton of money into something that may not stick); 2) you learn better bike-handling skills with a hardtail because you can't rely on the rear suspension. Also, here at least, you don't really need full suspension.
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Gorgeous Titus! I am still missing my Racer X...
    Thanks to all of you, I'm already in love with her

    Owlie: Yeah the FS are very expensive, if you want a nice one I also believe that a hardtail will teach me more about mtb technique. I'm lucky to get this almost new bike for little money and take care of my back at the same time. I wouldn't spend 4-5K on a FS, because I'm a new to mtb.

    The Rockstar is a "stiff" fully with 100 mm rear travel, so she is fairly "restrained" compared to other FS I wouldn't buy a bike with more suspension as a starter bike, that would be a dumb buy

    I was overconfident (not intentionally) yesterday on a very steep sandy path and I was close to losing balance and end up in a ditch *LOL*. I braked in a sharp turn at high speed. It was a stupid decision. Ohhh, the joys of being a newbie But now I have already learned from this mistake until the next time haha.
    2010 Rock Lobster - mtb converted to commuter bike
    2010 Kona Dr. Lisa - commuter
    2011 Titus Rockstar 29er - Full suspension

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •