Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IT Band ideas

IT Band ideas

To disable ads, please log-in.

My IT band is very cranky right now, and I am looking to expand my toolbox of IT band stretches. I am foam rolling religiously and also doing hip/quad/hamstring stretches. Are there other way to directly work with the IT Band outside of foam rolling? It doesn't feel bad today, but there is still some numbness in it from yesterday and, of course, my knee is cranky in the same place it always is with my IT band acts up.

IT Band ideas

What stretches are you doing?
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    What stretches are you doing?
    I don't know the names so I will describe them:

IT Band: Foam Rolling
    IT Band: Lying flat on the ground, extend one arm straight out on the ground perpendicular to the body. Bend the leg on that side and with the opposite hand draw the knee up and across the body which gives a nice IT Band stretch.

Hip: Standing - cross one foot in front of the other and lean forward while pushing the hip out that is opposite of the foot that crossed in front of the other

Hip/Hamstring: (I think): Tailor stretch (either standing or lying on the ground)
    Hamstring: usual straight leg stretch with the leg elevated

Quad: Standing on one foot and drawing/pulling one foot back to my glute while keeping the leg/knee vertical.

It didn't help that I went a few days without my prescription anti-inflammatory which is probably part of this as well - I am back on it. I was doing SO well that I thought I could go without it. Meh.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-23-2012 at 07:20 AM.

IT Band ideas

Have you tried a rumble roller? I hit a point where the normal foam roller just didn't do enough - but the rumble roller helped. It's the same rolling technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Aromig View Post
    Have you tried a rumble roller? I hit a point where the normal foam roller just didn't do enough - but the rumble roller helped. It's the same rolling technique.
    Not heard of this before. I am trying not to buy anything new but will keep this in mind. Thanks! It looks like it could be brutal....errr...effective! I do need to get a couple lacrosse balls for T-Spine mobility exercises and will see who might carry this locally.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-23-2012 at 07:47 AM.

You're already doing all the hip strengthening exercises - focusing especially on the TFL, glute medius, and adductors?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    You're already doing all the hip strengthening exercises - focusing especially on the TFL, glute medius, and adductors?
    What is the TFL? My trainer has me doing a series of corrective exercises that focus, in part, on my glutes and adductors. After my recent physical assessment he moved me from easier correctives to more advanced/robust versions. He may have me focusing on the TFL as well, but I am unsure what that is...

Edited: I looked it up It looks like one of my usual post-ride stretches are for the TFL, but I found some a couple of other TFL exercises here though I will see if I can find something other than just a text description.

My IT Band has calmed, and my knee feels better than it has in over a week, but I still have odd sensations up where it connects at the hip. I did some mobility exercises this afternoon that focus on the hips and that seems to have been beneficial. The TFL diagram makes it appear to be located right where I still have some numbness and odd sensations. I will see what other exercises I can find for the TFL that I can add to the mix.

I think I was dehydrated during my ride yesterday, and that probably didn't help, though I probably can't blame this on not drinking enough. I didn't get around to emptying my hydration pack until today and it doesn't look like the water level went down at all during that hilly, chilly 28 miles... I do have a problem remembering to drink in cooler temps.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-23-2012 at 03:34 PM.

It's the little hip flexor/abductor/internal rotator that feeds into the proximal anterior ITB. I think in most people it's more likely to be inflexible than it is weak, since it's a primary walking muscle, but besides making sure to hit it with the foam roller, you'll want to balance internal vs. external rotation, and abduction vs. adduction.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    It's the little hip flexor/abductor/internal rotator that feeds into the proximal anterior ITB. I think in most people it's more likely to be inflexible than it is weak, since it's a primary walking muscle, but besides making sure to hit it with the foam roller, you'll want to balance internal vs. external rotation, and abduction vs. adduction.
    This makes sense, and all of my correctives are addressing flexibility/mobility issues. And, of course, it is indeed THAT leg that had all of the over-use injuries a couple of years back... We do have a PVC pipe at my gym wrapped in tape when we need to roll with something more...aggressive than foam. I will hit it before my group training session tomorrow morning. I am very glad my knee responded to the hip mobility work I did this afternoon. I knew it was really from the IT Band, but that just confirmed it for me.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.

If you're taking an anti-inflammatory, that can slow down healing time, as the body needs some inflammation in order to heal. I don't know how much or how often you're foam rolling, but if you're doing it too long if your body's not used to it or applying too much pressure too soon, you can actually inflame the IT band. You want to roll slowly, pausing and sinking into the sore places.

I had chronic ITB problems that were ultimately attributed to a poorly fitting bike. A combination of bike fit, acupuncture and massage ultimately cleared it up. In the short term, I would try ice and rest or at least backing off on the time/intensity of your workouts.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Thanks for the rolling tips Bluebug, I am used to doing it and it sounds like I'm doing it properly. The IT Band isn't a chronic issue, I just did something silly a week or so back that caused it to flare. I had bad over-use injuries in that leg two years ago and when I do stupid things one of them flares I know what I did to cause it though, and I WON'T be doing that again!

There is a physical therapist that comes to my gym once a month for a short clinic. This is free to us, and depending on what the issue is, provides a quick evaluation to let us know if we need to focus on more correctives or if PT is on the agenda. I signed up this evening to at least have a professional eye check out the situation just to make certain I am not ignoring something that I will regret. BTDT

He didn't think I need PT, but more correctives added to my list for adduction/abduction, and single-leg squats (and squating in general) to build quad strength to help my knees out. Silly me, I thought my lower body was strong already - but he tells me my favorite leg-press machine is really using hip strength, and that riding is more about muscular endurance than quad strength. It made sense when I thought about it - and I haven't done much climbing this year anyway with my recovery from last falls injury.

So I have my marching orders - it won't be difficult to fit in more correctives into my list...that list is getting a little long! Better than the alternative however, so no complaints.

All my supposed IT band issues and knee pain went away after about a year of doing the kind of training we've all been talking about. Single leg work really helps all that stuff down there.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    All my supposed IT band issues and knee pain went away after about a year of doing the kind of training we've all been talking about. Single leg work really helps all that stuff down there.
    Thanks Irulan, it helps to know that. It was feeling much better this summer - but I think the mtb fall last month had such deep bruising that it brought to light some weaknesses. It is true that where my IT band is sore to the touch just happens to right where I had the worst bruising.

We don't do much single leg work in the group training - at least not since I've been around (not quite 3 months). I can easily add single leg air squats to my usual correctives, the PT gave me a couple of ideas about a goal to work towards regarding how deep to aim for.
    Last edited by Catrin; 09-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Was the PT named Bryce by chance (tall, trim, bald man)?
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher