Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tired legs

tired legs

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi All-
    For those of you in your mid to later 40's (sorry, young'uns you wouldn't get it)! Have any of you
    had trouble recovering after hard workouts? I mean, a day of complete rest, then your legs still feel
    like lead the day after the rest day? My iron is fine, ditto w thyroid, and I take Bromelain, which seems
    to help a bit. I still go out and work it, but this is getting old, fast. Advice welcome!

sometimes I feel much less sore and tired if I do an easy spin (rpm over gears) ride the day after an epic- seems to loosen everything up and clear out the fatigue (I am 51)

Quote Originally Posted by tealtreak View Post
    sometimes I feel much less sore and tired if I do an easy spin (rpm over gears) ride the day after an epic- seems to loosen everything up and clear out the fatigue (I am 51)
    This, also if my legs are still a bit fatigued after taking a full rest day after a hard day (in gym or bike) then I will take an easy spin on the second day. It does seem to help disperse what is left of the lactic acid. I've also found that it especially if I force myself to slow down and spin it easier for the last 1-2 miles of a long hard ride - I think it helps to work out some of the lactic acid. (I am 52)

I'm also for an easy spin or easy walk. But sometimes, I need 2 rest days a week now. Not usually consecutive, and sometimes one will have some very light exercise. The boot camp stuff stresses me in a way that riding doesn't. While it's good for my bones, it's not so good for my autoimmune system. I will be more apt to skip a day there than skip riding, although I have missed very few classes in the past year since I started. Rest is part of a total program, and very important as we age.
    I'm 58, at least for 5 more weeks.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura

Try compression tights. I find they really take the ache out of my legs after rides.

I find that compression stockings or sleeves help me.

P2
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD - Ruby 155
    2009 Trek 2.1 WSD - Ruby 155
    2013 Giant TCX W - Jett 155
    2010 Specialized Amira Comp - Romin 155

Good answers all- thank you. I will pull out the tights, and add an easy spin day after tough workouts.
    It's really great to see women in my age group who are still ripping it up!! I wish I could do boot camp, but my knee
    will only allow biking. I am supremely grateful for that.

Kiwi Stoker and Pinsonp2: Do you wear the compression tights during rides, post ride, or on the day after?
    ~Jen
    2008 Trek Madone 5.1/compact double/Terry Butterfly
    My family's food and winemaking blog is www.flahertywines.com

Another vote for compression tights. I wear them post ride, and sometimes sleep in them.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've done some multi-day touring rides with my own gear. Usually I find after 2 consecutive days of cycling 80-100kms. per day, the 3rd day I want to scale down to 10-15 km. to at least rest but still retain muscle memory. It would a slow, tootling type of day.

By the 5th day or so, I really do need to not bike at all for such a touring ride. Then the next day I'm refreshed.

I'm 53. I've never tried compression tights. Just a short ride or 1rest day helps me.

For a normal ride to me about the city would be 15-40 km. per day. I've been on the bike daily for the past 20 days. That's very normal for me during spring to early fall-- to cycle for 14-25 consecutive days before I take 1-2 days off. It's weekends I do the longer distances. But I am not racing against my own time, I'm just cycling at a speed that suits me and for what I want to do along the way since cycling is part of my whole lifestyle ...being car-free for so many years.

Once you get used to cycling the way I do it, your body gets hooked to the natural drug endorphins that cycling/exercise produces or that natural "high" feeling.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-23-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know whatís in a personís heart.

I second the compression tights. Also doing a slow cooldown spin and some light stretching after you ride will also help. I would also add that using a foam roller every day (if possible) will keep your legs feeling loose, limber and refreshed. Often I'll wake up stiff and sore in the morning, foam roll for 10 minutes, focusing on sinking into the sore spot and will feel good enough to go for a ride or run by the afternoon.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I never have a day of complete rest because I have a dog and he insists on two long walks a day. So I might be off the bike, but I move (walk for 45 mins twice a day and do Pilates) at the very least. Maybe just doing nothing on your rest day is a bad idea. I'm 44 and I have not experienced what the OP describes. I've heard god things about compression tights.

Another thought...how is your diet?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

I wear them post ride and often sleep in them. Studies have shown there's no benefit wearing them while exercising but however afterwards it does help. Helps move the lactic acid and fluid up your legs so can be eliminated from your body faster.

I don't have compression tights, just stockings (panty hose and knee high). These were prescribed after an auto accident and I still use them post long ride or when ever the kegs are complaining.

P2
    2011 Trek Madone 5.2 WSD - Ruby 155
    2009 Trek 2.1 WSD - Ruby 155
    2013 Giant TCX W - Jett 155
    2010 Specialized Amira Comp - Romin 155