Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Introduction, new here from Seattle area

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've lurked here on and off for about a year and decided it's time to post! My name's Cathie and I'm 46 and live outside of Seattle with my husband and 2 kids 12 & 15. I started riding a year ago. Prior to that I had done one ride a year (Portland, OR Bridge Pedal; we always did the 14 mile option) with my family and some friends down there on my 10+ year old Walmart bike but NO other riding.

3 years ago I made a total change in my activity level. I had always watched my eating to keep relatively in shape and having a very FT job and being mom to 2 active kids made me think I was very active. I started using an activity monitor that I wear 24/7 and after the baseline period I had to face the fact that I was a couch potato! Once a mo or so of hiking or skiing just wasn't cutting it! The monitor gave me a 12 week plan of increasing my activity through very simple stuff like parking far away, taking the steps, going for a walk... It was a start, I then started running using couch to 5k and have kept that up for 3 years. I currently run about 15-20 miles a week.

A little over a year ago I started looking for a second thing to get into, tried swimming for a while but I hate being inside to exercise so I wanted to try
    biking. I had gotten rid of my Walmart bike at a garage sale and started looking at used bikes but not knowing what I really needed OR if I really wanted to spend a ton since I didn't know how into I'd get made it hard. I ended up with a Hybrid (http://ghybikes.com/2010/12/2011-raleigh-alysa-ft1/) for around $500 figuring if I did like cycling I could hand this down to my now 12 year old daughter.

So last Aug- Oct I tried to ride twice a week, 10-20 miles a time. I probably only ended up at once a week but it was a start. This spring I started riding in April with a 30 mile ride one weekend and 40 the next, overdid that a bit and had to baby my knee for about a month! Currently shooting for riding twice a week, 20-30 miles a ride, but most weeks only get in one ride. I need to push myself more to get in more rides! Have the Bridge Pedal next week, doing the 26mi ride this time, and going from there on a family road trip through Montana, Wyoming and a bit of South Dakota so hope to get at least some riding in!

No questions at this time but at some point I'll be looking to switch to a road bike (and those scary clip less pedals!) and will need help!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Cathie

welcome to TE. I live in Seattle too!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Me too. There are lots of us here.
    Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on the road ~ Motobecane Mixte
    N+1 new bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Commuter ~ Soma Buena Vista Mixte

http://madeinusareviews.blogspot.com/

Seattlite here too (but not for much longer )
    2014 Surly Straggler
    2012 Salsa Casseroll - STOLEN

Welcome to TE. Thanks for sharing your story! Good fir you for getting of off the couch! I need to do that myself a little more often!
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Welcome to TE!

Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Beth