Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Planks :)

Hybrid View

4+ minutes???? I bow down before you! (and then get stuck and unable to get up, lol)

I can hold less than 1 minute.

Group training sounds awesome. If I could get over the inability to wake up early, I'd totally be down for that.
    1984 Raleigh Technium 440 - retired(coffee runs)
    2012 Cannondale Synapse 5 WSD - 365 miles (updated 7.12.2012) - in a holding pattern due to injury.
    My blog: http://bikesbooksblues.wordpress.com/
    Fundraising link for my friend Aimee, after her ped/car accident

Quote Originally Posted by chatnoire View Post
    4+ minutes???? I bow down before you! (and then get stuck and unable to get up, lol)

I can hold less than 1 minute.

Group training sounds awesome. If I could get over the inability to wake up early, I'd totally be down for that.
    It wasn't that long ago that 45 seconds was torture...something changed and I don't know when but I will take it.

I do NOT like "traditional" fitness classes - things like step, general aerobics outside of a good spinning class, combat, etc. Metabolic/functional training is a totally different beast entirely. Just being with a couple of others who are doing the same thing is encouraging and there are partner exercises that allow us to use our bodies in ways just not possible otherwise.

I don't HAVE to take the 6am option, but I am going to try it. There is a 5:00pm option if it just doesn't work for me.
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-04-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Almost 5 minutes ?!?! Good grief. Good job.

I think shoulder stabilizers are considered part of the core? So those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by OakLeaf; 07-04-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Almost 5 minutes ?!?! Good grief. Good job.

I think should stabilizers are considered part the core? So those two things aren't mutually exclusive.
    The test was called a "Pure Stability Test"...and a full plank is complex - (witness to my IT band finally ending it rather than my lower back or something else). I actually didn't think my time was unusual until Tony said something about it a couple of days later, and the comments here.

Time to ride before the big broiler in the sky kicks into overdrive...
    Last edited by Catrin; 07-04-2012 at 06:02 AM.

The things that stops me from doing planks longer than I can are my shoulders and wrists, depending on the position of the plank. I can do a minute, maybe a little bit more if I'm rested.
    My shoulders and neck must be really weak, as they always hurt when doing any upper body stuff, even when the muscle I'm working is really in my arms. I can barely do more than 5-10 front or lateral raises, even with 5 lb. weights. It all just starts spasming.
    However, after 8 months of boot camp, I can do "regular" push ups, although, sometimes when I'm on my 3d set of 18 I have to get into the girlie position. But before, I couldn't do more than 3.
    That class sounds perfect, Catrin. And exercising in the early AM usually means you stick with it. You're an early riser, so it shouldn't be that hard.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    The things that stops me from doing planks longer than I can are my shoulders and wrists, depending on the position of the plank. I can do a minute, maybe a little bit more if I'm rested.
    My shoulders and neck must be really weak, as they always hurt when doing any upper body stuff, even when the muscle I'm working is really in my arms. I can barely do more than 5-10 front or lateral raises, even with 5 lb. weights. It all just starts spasming.
    However, after 8 months of boot camp, I can do "regular" push ups, although, sometimes when I'm on my 3d set of 18 I have to get into the girlie position. But before, I couldn't do more than 3.
    That class sounds perfect, Catrin. And exercising in the early AM usually means you stick with it. You're an early riser, so it shouldn't be that hard.
    Congrats on being able to do unmodified pushups! I might be able to do 5 right now and those are bad. I can do modified (girlie) and have done up to 100 of them in sets of 20 - but full pushups are a different story.

Neck muscles will certainly complain during upper - or even lower body work if they aren't happy/strong to begin with. I learned that during my lengthy whiplash recovery. Hopefully your work in boot camp will help to strengthen that area.

An almost five minute plank? That is seriously impressive. I doubt I could do more than two. Awesome job, Catrin. I sure wish your gym was more convenient for me. Your workouts there sound like just the ticket.
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    Oakleaf, I don't know how well trained/certified your bootcamp instructors are, but if they are any good at all they should be able to help you with modifications so that you can have success with exercises as you build strength in the weak areas. Wrists can be troublesome but there are many ways to modify hand positions.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM