Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Talking mountain bike touring - any suggestions?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Ladies,
    In 2008 I did the White Rim trail in Canyonlands National Park -LOVED IT! I'm looking for another route similar to this - multiple day trail riding hut to hut or to locations that can be supported by vehicle with camping equipment. I found a couple of hut to huts in Colorado in the San Juans and Oregon near the Gorge? wondering if any of you have done these or know of others here in the states?

The BF did a hut-to-hut somewhere in western CO/Utah. I'll try to remember to ask him later. Might not be much different than where you've already done, though, if you're looking for a different environment or climate or challenge.

"I never met a donut I didn't like" - Dave Wiens

check out northern Idaho. I was going to attach a write up of some friends trip but it is to big
    We have been invite to join them in the fall, They are calling their trip the Bitterroot 300.
    " I rode the Route of the Hiawatha in June of 2009 and really like the area
    and the ride. Looking at maps I decided that the 170 mile loop of all rail
    trails would be a blast to ride. There was a lot of information about the
    Trail of CdA, Route of the Hiawatha and the Old Milwaukee Road
    available to start planning from.
    Clancy Anderson "
    Last edited by Sky King; 06-19-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes is 70 mile paved. Sure you can do that on a mtn bike and connect it up with the Hiawatha. Personally, this is one I think would be cool, just across the border in BC

Kettle Valley Rail Trail
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by jessmarimba View Post
    The BF did a hut-to-hut somewhere in western CO/Utah. I'll try to remember to ask him later. Might not be much different than where you've already done, though, if you're looking for a different environment or climate or challenge.
    http://sanjuanhuts.com/
    Specialized Ruby
    Gunnar Sport
    Salsa Vaya Ti
    Novara Randonee x2
    Motobecane Fantom CXX (Surly Crosscheck)
    Jamis Dragon

Hi all,
    Thanks for your ideas I'll check them out - I have heard of the San Juna route and it sounds fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes is 70 mile paved. Sure you can do that on a mtn bike and connect it up with the Hiawatha. Personally, this is one I think would be cool, just across the border in BC

Kettle Valley Rail Trail
    This looks like fun...but my browser wasn't happy with the site and kept bringing up warnings about some 3rd party plugin that wanted to install itself. It wasn't in English (and didn't really appear to be French, though I could have been mistaken). I couldn't figure out what it was and as I've never seen that particular warning before I got out of there. It was probably some 3rd party plugin to run the videos on the site but I wasn't going to risk it.

This might be a different vacation idea since I doubt I will be ready for Moab anytime soon...

ohhh, seeing how you are in SLC, just thought of another one we are researching for our adventure touring bikes - boise to sun valley, all on trail and dirt roads with hot springs along the way I will keep you posted as I learn more
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    What about riding part of the Great Divide MTN bike trail? You could stop at hotels off-route.
    I just got done reading this book about the Divide Tour. Maybe it's just that *I* really want to do it.

I would love to do a hut-to-hut mtn bike tour in the future. Much more scenic and less-stressful without all the traffic. And a mtn bike tour is something that my DH has actually said he'd do with me (he will NOT do a road tour with me, tho).
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I know of a couple that are biking the coast of Lake Michigan on their mountain bikes!
    2005 Giant TCR2
    2012 Trek Superfly Elite AL
    2nd Sport, Pando Fall Challenge 2011 and 3rd Expert Peak2Peak 2011
    2001 Trek 8000 SLR
    Iceman 2010-6th Place AG State Games, 2010-1st Sport, Cry Baby Classic 2010-7th Expert, Blackhawk XTerra Tri 2007-3rd AG

Occasionally Updated Blog