Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chain cleaning tool

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am planning to buy a chain cleaning tool, the kind that clips on the chain and you rotate the chain through a degreaser. I have seen Park tools, Pedros and Finish Line advertised. Any thoughts on the best one to get?

I have Park Tools', and I've used Performance's house brand, whatever it is. I find the Park works well, but there's a knack to using it in terms of where to hold it so you don't pull the chain off, but I've had the same issue with the other one, so I think this is common to all of them. One thing I don't like about it is that the metal "clips" that hold the two halves together can be hard to open and close, especially if they're on the chain. I've been putting my bike on the trainer to clean it, and it's easier for me to hold the halves together with one hand and backpedal with the other. It has the added bonus of keeping the pace of pedaling slow.
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Don't let me stop you from throwing your money away however you wish. All I need is some Rock N' Roll lube, some old socks and tee shirts and maybe a few Q tips.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I have the Park tool thing and another nameless one. I don't notice any difference between those two.

I don't like to use them very much because the process tends to end in quite a mess of greasy liquid, but they get the chain really clean. MUCH cleaner than an old rag and chain lube or an old toothbrush ever would. Still, I prefer to use an old rag most of the time.

I have the Park Tool chain cleaner and really like it. It's the only one I've used so I can't make a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan View Post
    I don't like to use them very much because the process tends to end in quite a mess of greasy liquid
    I strain the solvent through a shop-grade paper towel and reuse it. Granted I still lose a considerable amount of solvent into the environment but reusing it does minimize it.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Great idea, I will do this the next time. I bet a coffee filter would work well too.

Best thing I've ever bought for cleaning my chain are those value packs of microfiber cleaning cloths you can get at auto stores or home depot. They pick up dirt and grease soooo much better than t-shirts. I also will use old tooth brushes and I do have a chain/cassette cleaning "wand" with scrubbies to loosen any really dried bits of grime.
    Help me reach my $8,000 goal for the American Lung Association! Riding Seattle to D.C. for clean air! http://larissaridesforcleanair.org
    http://action.lungusa.org/goto/larissapowers

I'm a member of the "rag and degreaser" club, since I have an endless supply of old t-shirts. I agree with Reesha about the microfiber cloths though- they work great!

Many years ago, I tried a chain cleaner. I found it to be messy and one more thing to clean after use. YMMV.

Something like Citrus-solve (citrus degreaser, auto parts or hardware) or Simple Green, is a great alternative to solvent. I'm surprised that some of you still use solvents when there are these and other environmentally friendly products and methods out there. When I got my Park gizmo years ago, I ran undiluted Simple Green in it, and it worked great, even on really nasty mountain bike chains.

Here's my preferred method now. I do not know if you can put a Power Link on a road bike chain, but this is what I do for our 6 mountain bikes.

Remove chain from bike. Put in a small container with a lid. Pour Citrusolv over the chain so it's completely submerged. Soak overnight if you want. Here's the secret: shake the jar to dislodge any crud. The chain works against itself to loosen gunk. rinse the chain really well, air dry and reinstall. Method B would be to leave the chain on the bike, spray it down really well, and go after it with a toothbrush. I think the jar idea came from Sheldon Brown.

As for solvent, I do hope you are wearing gloves and disposing of it as hazardous waste when you are done with it. It's really nasty stuff, and should be avoided at all costs. (I work in groundwater/environmental cleanup and remediation)
    Last edited by Irulan; 06-04-2012 at 06:32 AM.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Citrusolv and Simple Green are solvents. Simple Green contains glycol ethers. Citrus degreasers (including the Park Tool brand, which according to its MSDS is one of the less toxic ones out there) contain terpenes and/or pentenes. Gloves (and respirators) are definitely a good idea, but it's important to remember that most gloves, especially disposable ones, are penetrated by these toxins in a short amount of time.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

well you know more than me. When I think solvents I'm thinking the hard stuff.
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    ...Remove chain from bike. Put in a small container with a lid. Pour Citrusolv over the chain so it's completely submerged. Soak overnight if you want. Here's the secret: shake the jar to dislodge any crud. The chain works against itself to loosen gunk. rinse the chain really well, air dry and reinstall...
    This is what I do, my LBS convinced me this was the easiest approach and they were right! At least that is what I found, less mess and fuss. I've a SRAM chain on both Gunnar and mountain bike with power links that are reusable. The only thing is you have to be careful to not lose the power link like I did the first time

I just bought the Park's Tool along with their chain cleaner. It works AWESOME!!! I hook my bike on to my bike rack, put a large towel underneath the bike. Then I fill the Park's Tool with chain cleaner and put the tool on the lower part of the chain. Clip the two parts together and slowly back pedal the bike. My black chain is now a dark silver!!! Of course, the chain cleaner works better after you degrease the crankset and the rear cassettes and the jockey cogs which was a "big pain the the behind".

2012 Specialized Amira Elite, upgraded carbon handle bars, Jett saddle 143mm switched to 145mm 2012 Selle Italia Max SLR Gel Flow saddle

2011 Specialized Ariel Sport,suspension post,Serfas Rx Women's Microfiber saddle

Another Simple Green and chain in a jar fan.

Brewer switched to wax for a while--no grease, no solvent --I'm not sure what's up with that.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.