Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Is this a problem?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've installed my Bontrager seat-post rack, finally, and put on my Arkel Tailrider trunk bag. It fit it perfectly before I put it on the bike.

You can see from the image that the trunk bag rises just slightly above the saddle, and protrudes just a bit beyond the end of the rack. Is this something to be concerned about? I can attach all 4 velcro straps...perhaps not the entire length of them but enough that it should be secure.

I won't be hauling much in this bag to work behind lunch and shoes. I will take my clothes in the day before. If I take to this then eventually (next year) I will have a dedicated commuter with a more traditional rack where those won't be a problem.

I did also try it "backwards", and it is a better fit. The velcro still doesn't reach well for straps at the end of the rack but it should be ok...
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.

You could always add an extra strap if that were a concern. Looks like the clearance is common where there is not much vertical space between the seat post clamp and seat. Here is a link to a review article of the same bag, different rack. The bag sits a bit higher than the seat in that article, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

We have the same Arkel rack trunks but traditional rear racks (on our Bike Fridays), and they fit perfectly. It does look a bit odd on the seatpost-mounted rack but should work okay as long as you don't overload the overhanging part. Don't know that I'd reverse it as that makes it harder to get into and out of, but that's your call. It's a really nice little rack trunk!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Hmm, I can see that you can't mount the sesatpost rack any lower, and I doubt you can raise the seat and lower the rack so I do not think this combination is a good one for you. The Tail Rider flap is supposed to cover the raised edge of the rack - your's does not. This helps to control the bag sliding on the rack. I'm thinking you need to put a conventional rack on the bike instead of the seat post rack and then it will all fit together nicely.

Or, just attach a small lightweight backpack to the rack with bungy cords. Or even put your shoes and stuff into a recycle grocery bag, and lash that to the seatpost rack with bungys.

Be careful with bungy cords, and always use two. Then can break an inopportune times, and the thought of the hook landing in my face is a grim one.

Here's how mine fits.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	14443  

I have the same problem with trunk bags, even on a standard rack, not enough clearance with the seat. I did what you did in the second picture, turned the bag around. Plus, the other way it would touch my rear end and drive me nuts. The only thing that was a problem was I no longer could hang a light off the bag. I got a mount so I could attach it to my rack.
    Trek Madone 4.7 WSD
    Cannondale Quick4
    1969 Schwinn Collegiate, original owner
    Terry Classic

Richard Feynman: “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”

As far as the light is concerned, I always use a hydration pack so I could put it on the back... Considering how often I have to stop for lights on the commuting route, I may consider just using bottles for the work trip though but we will see. I just don't drink enough without the pack - I can't use the bottle while riding and really don't want to learn

I think both of my tail-lights will attach to the rack without anything extra... I KNOW one will, unsure about how secure the other is.

Are you absolutely sure you want to use that type of rack? I still think a traditional style on would fit a lot better and you wouldn't have the bag not really sitting where it's supposed to. It seriously isn't a big deal to install the other kind, I can help you with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    As far as the light is concerned, I always use a hydration pack so I could put it on the back... Considering how often I have to stop for lights on the commuting route, I may consider just using bottles for the work trip though but we will see. I just don't drink enough without the pack - I can't use the bottle while riding and really don't want to learn

I think both of my tail-lights will attach to the rack without anything extra... I KNOW one will, unsure about how secure the other is.

Quote Originally Posted by WindingRoad View Post
    Are you absolutely sure you want to use that type of rack? I still think a traditional style on would fit a lot better and you wouldn't have the bag not really sitting where it's supposed to. It seriously isn't a big deal to install the other kind, I can help you with it.
    Thanks for the offer WR, but I've already spent the money on this one I will make it work for now and should I stick with this and work on getting a dedicated commuter next winter then I will get another style of rack then.

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    Hmm, I can see that you can't mount the sesatpost rack any lower, and I doubt you can raise the seat and lower the rack so I do not think this combination is a good one for you. The Tail Rider flap is supposed to cover the raised edge of the rack - your's does not. This helps to control the bag sliding on the rack. I'm thinking you need to put a conventional rack on the bike instead of the seat post rack and then it will all fit together nicely...
    I just saw this, didn't see it earlier. I appreciate the picture especially because it shows how you have your lock installed - I think that was what someone else suggested. I thought I would have enough exposed seat-post for this particular rack but I was mistaken... It will work for now.