Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going for it this weekend :)

To disable ads, please log-in.

After a mammoth neighborhood-centered (multiple neighborhoods) sewer project forced me to re-think my original commuting route, I finally have a couple to test. I really do not want to take the same route home that I will take in the morning, so I've two routes to check out.

Weather permitting I am determined to check it out this weekend. It would be nice to have company on my very first experience with urban riding but that isn't going to stop me It will also be my longest ride since my trail injury in October, but since I plan to have lunch, or a snack, or something before I head home from downtown I think it will be fine. A couple of the neighborhoods I will ride through are a bit...sketchy - but I WILL be on my bike

I probably won't have time to get my rack problem worked out, so I think I will just put my cable lock in my Camelbak. It is a bit heavy - but not as heavy as the U-lock I have - and I am not about to take THAT with me

So wish me luck and good weather for this test. I am nervous about it, guess I am just too accustomed to my empty country roads...I've posted about this to my cycling list on FB to see if anyone has time or interest to join me, but I would imagine most already have plans.

Good luck! You can do it!

I fit my lock under my saddle, over my saddle bag, looped through the saddle rails. It was an epiphany when I figured it out. I guess it fitting depends on the size of your stuff, but it's a great place to carry it if it fits. Not in the way at all.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Let us know how it goes---will be thinking of you!!! Get some mace to carry with you for the sketchies They have ones that connect to your top tube!

I wish I could ride to work. All of my routes are WAY too contested for me to feel safe on. I hope your recon this weekend is rewarding!!!

Shannon
    Starbucks.. did someone say Starbucks?!?!
    http://www.cincylights.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roadtrip View Post
    I wish I could ride to work. All of my routes are WAY too contested for me to feel safe on. I hope your recon this weekend is rewarding!!!

Shannon
    Weather was icky yesterday, so went to a long spin class instead at my gym...after which I learned that apparently my neck will endure everything but Schwin spin bikes - it got all inflamed and cranky - so am taking today off as well. *#$%@&$($&)$&%(#)T(#(% and it is supposed to rain much of the next 5 days - so it looks like next Saturday will be my next chance to try it out.

I WILL try it next Saturday morning - and that is the day of the Mini here in Indianapolis, so I can ride downtown early - watch the marathon racers and walkers start off, have a little food, and eventually return home.

It is beginning to feel like Indiana is the only place with rain and cooler temps lately - though I know that isn't so. I rode far more in March than April - but I am pretty sure that last April was just as frustrating, weather wise. I AM proud of myself that I listened to my neck today - and it isn't that bad but I've not felt this for several months. Better take a day now so I can ride later this week.
    Last edited by Catrin; 04-29-2012 at 10:56 AM.

Well done for looking after your neck. I feel your pain with the weather - I was doing 20 miles/week in March, but have only just cleared that in total for April. I feel awful for not doing the nursery run, but a trailer in 20mph winds and rain on a potholed road is not fun at all. Fingers crossed that we'll see the sun again soon.

Redrhodie - that's a fantastic tip about carrying a lock - thank you!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Yes Red, that was great, thank you! I've been trying to figure out the best way to carry it when I don't have a rack installed and I don't want it in my hydration pack. I see a lot of people with one of course, but it looked to me that the lock was beating their paint up...

For most of April I got 2-3 rides in a week, some shorter than I cared for. This is the first time since Feb that I've gone without riding outside for 8 days and I am in withdrawal - actually had to argue myself out of it today...and it likely would have been fine but I need that inflammation in my SCM muscles to go away, not to stick around. It already feels better than earlier today - and much, much better than yesterday

Can you ride your reconnaissance without taking a lock?

I commuted for about a year with a courier bag which was good, but rack and panniers are way better.

Keep working on it and you'll get it worked out.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Catrin View Post
    I will just put my cable lock in my Camelbak.
    A cable lock? Just wrap it around your handlebars on each side of the stem. Or around your seatpost. Or actually just about anywhere.
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by malkin View Post
    Can you ride your reconnaissance without taking a lock?

I commuted for about a year with a courier bag which was good, but rack and panniers are way better.

Keep working on it and you'll get it worked out.
    Malkin - I wanted to do this in two parts - ride downtown and take a break before returning - basically turning it into 2 smaller trips rather than one 30 mile trip

Saturday is my next best chance so will ride downtown EARLY to watch the start of the 500 Mini-Marathon - and likely get some coffee before heading home. I've been resistant about putting it actually ON my bike frame as I am afraid it will scratch...I know, I know, but there it is

Red's suggestion sounds the best for avoiding that, and hopefully I can get the seat-post rack installed before then and that would remove the problem entirely.

Test completed :)

I finally got to test my commuting route Saturday morning. It was still rather dark when I left so I installed my Light and Motion Vis360 helmet lights (link is to a YouTube review), set my handlebar light to blinking mode, turned on the seat-post light and set off. I will admit that I was a bit nervous - I've only ridden on park and country roads, and on mountain bike trails. My starting method is unorthodox and I've really not HAD to deal with many signalized intersections in the last 2 years.

First of all, the stretch of road I was most nervous about turned out to not be a problem as the actual lane was much wider than I thought. They have also recently resurfaced it Had a bit of a sprint getting away from 2 pit-bull mixes on the MUT portion of my route - but I saw them in plenty of time, thankfully. Drivers were fine with my presence, and my little fear about clipping in/out in time for lights was unfounded. I think I stopped/started more in that round trip than has been my practice in a month of country rides!

Thankfully I was paying attention at the end of the MUT, for there was a good sized curb at the end of it...and a couple of really sharp turns on/off a bridge on the trail that I did get off the bike for. I AM thankful that I sprung for the lights last winter when I found them on a good sale, my Planet Bike lights wouldn't have been enough.

Oh yes, the way back was fine, and even a little quicker than the first half. The two pit bulls? I saw them being captured by Animal Control on my return home and while there was more traffic on the 56th street section that I was nervous about it was fine.

All in all it went well, and because of a mini-marathon that was going on at the time I actually didn't test the last mile of the route to get to the other side of downtown. I am far less concerned about that now, and if the weather permits, I will try my commute for real this Friday. I work a compressed schedule and only work 4 hours on Friday's so it is the perfect commuting day.
    Last edited by Catrin; 05-07-2012 at 05:46 AM.

Yay,you did it! I'm glad it went well. Those dogs must have been scary. Glad they got them.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Well done and good luck for Friday!
    Dawes Cambridge Mixte, Specialized Hardrock, Specialized Vita.

mixedbabygreens My blog, which really isn't all about the bike.

Congratulation!
    What's a mini marathon? Really short people running 26.2 miles?
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    Congratulation!
    What's a mini marathon? Really short people running 26.2 miles?
    LOL it is a half marathon that is the official kickoff.to the month of May and all of the many activities leading up to the Indianapolis 500 race. The Mini has been going on for.a long time and is always sold out, and is sponsored by the Instead 500 Speedway.