Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Touring with Kiddos

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hello! We're about to start "touring" again and this time with two wee ones. Our first trip is just a weekend camping thing, fairly close to home--30-45 miles away. After that, we're doing a longer adventure, again for a weekend--85 miles, 45 miles, then 45 miles back home.

I'm just wondering, for such a short trip, what are you essentials for equipment, especially the essentials for touring with kids (ours are 1 and 3). Luckily, our first trip is close to home and civilization and our second will be travelling to friends' houses so we don't have to worry too much about food and camping equipment (for the second).

Tips?

Thanks!

Elle
    www.tinyhelmetsbigbikes.com

Zero advice here, but sounds like a great way to introduce them to the bike. !!! (I don't have kids).

Anyway, just wanted to say welcome to TE!
    So long as the wheels are still turning, life is good.

Battswebb

Pinarello Quattro~CAADX~ Zurich Lemond
    Specialized Romin Saddles

Surly Krampus!

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I don't have kids, so I have no advice. All I know is that your 600 mile trip around Oregon looks like it was so much fun with little Lennon.
    I think it's great that your kids think nothing of hopping on the bike instead of getting in the car. That's my dream for most kids!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Thanks for the encouragement anyway! It's great to be on this biking forum since sometimes it's hard to find so many bikey people locally. We've decided on just an overnight to begin with, pretty close by-30 miles or so. I guess the best thing is that my kiddos are very tolerant and familiar with biking. I do have to sometimes remind myself-kids in carseats cry, too. Sadly, everyone else can't hear them....

I would start thinking of what they will eat at dinner time. practice mac and cheese on a small camp stove. If you don't have already, get some of those little plastic links to attach a toy or two to their chariot. Maybe try camping with them in the back yard so you can see what you will need, then add that to your knowledge about what you will need while you bike.
    Sounds like fun, good luck!

Food! That's the biggest thing for kids, it seems like. That and staying warm! We did our first overnight trip with the two: http://www.tinyhelmetsbigbikes.com/1...for-kicks.html

It went really well. We have a longer trip scheduled for next weekend but we're visiting friends so I think it will be a bit easier. Thanks!