Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Continental Sport Contact fit

To disable ads, please log-in.

I was looking for a slick for my bike and was sold a Continental Sport Contact 42-559 26x1.6 and I can't for the life of me get this thing on my Mavic X221 Rim anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

I have the 1.6 and 1.3. They can be tight. Make sure the bead that is on, is in the center of the rim which will give you the most room to work with. I have to use my tire tools and go little by little, being careful not to catch the tube.

When inflating, I put a little bit of soapy water on the bead to help the bead seat all the way on the rim lip. You can tell if the tire is not fully seated because when you spin the wheel, you will see a wobble.

Love the tires, they are just tough to put on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '89 Bridgestone Radac Dura-Ace | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1 | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '92 Bridgestone MB-1.2 (balloon tire bike) | Specialized Ruby, 143
    '93 Bridgestone MB-5 (my SUB*) | Specialized Lithia, 143

My blog: Portlandia Pedaler (at Blogger)

Grrrr, can't find my quick stick

Still having trouble with this tire and I can't find my quick stick! I cant think of another way to get this is tire on the rim.

Don't know if this will help for this particular tire. but...

Sometimes the back side of the bead is easier to get over the rim. In the past, you might have noticed that the second bead is often easier to deal with. When installing the second bead, the backside/innerside is what is pressing against the rim.

If a tire is of a reasonably large volume, you can arrange that both beads have to be lifted the same way: Start by placing the rim in between the tire beads. In other words, make both beads hang over the outside of the rim. Let me try some ASCII art:

(^^^)
    ..|_|..

The (^^^) is the tire, and the |_| is the rim. (Ignore the periods.) With neither bead seated, you can push the rim way into the tire so that you don't have the fight the bead.

Then, lift the first bead over the rim:

.(^^)
    |__|..

Now proceed normally by stuffing the inner tube in making sure it isn't folded/pinched, and then lifting the other bead over.
    Laura

Finally

I finally got the darn tire on using two Quick Sticks and two Pedro's tire levers. I figured it would be just my luck to have pinched the tube but it held!!