Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Something more new runners need to hear and follow is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and "don't overthink things."
    Thanks for validating my thoughts on the matter. I've been trying to add a little running to my routine (it' s a lot easier to run around the neighborhood than kitting up for a ride when I'm crunched for time but the weather's too nice for being inside). It's easy to get sucked in to "I should be doing X, Y and Z," yet at the same time, I think "This is what my body wants to do. It hasn't failed me quite yet." I have weird feet and knees. I guess they know what they want, and woe betide me if I argue!

And the short steps don't work well for me. I'm all legs!
    At least I don't leave slime trails.
    http://wholecog.wordpress.com/

2009 Giant Avail 3 |Specialized Jett 143

2013 Charge Filter Apex| Specialized Jett 143
    1996(?) Giant Iguana 630|Specialized Riva

Saving for the next one...

Two contrasting thoughts on this topic:

It took me ages to be ale to run and enjoy it. To run a whole 3 mile round through the neighbourhood was a major achievement for me and took some month of practising.
    There was a point though, where running started to feel good. When I had this break-through after some month, I started to really enjoy running and was able to do more miles.
    I like the versatility of running, that you can run anywhere with minimal equipment. It's a really good workout when you can't do anything else.

On the other hand, of all the different workouts I do, running seems to be the most "dangerous", where I seem to be most prone to injury. I bike and swim, do circle training, body weight exercises and a little bit of weight lifting and seldom experience problems. But I hurt myself in various ways when running (this is while striving for good form). So even if I like running, I try to limit my running to small amounts. Maybe I am really just not made for running.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom-zoom View Post
    Sounds like trying to drum up business, IMO.
    The therapist is a runner and cyclist but I never discussed running with him. His reminders to point my foot forward were concentrated on walking in his clinic and doing a ton of backwards and lateral exercises like step-ups, monster walks, and walking backwards against tension. His reminders, and the exercises that he gave me, did seem to influence my foot to naturally point straighter ahead during easy activities like walking on flat ground. My foot still wants to point out when my leg is under stress, like walking uphill, running, and doing lunges and squats. My knee never complains about my foot pointing out a bit but it sometimes feels stressed when I try to bring my foot in. This makes me wonder if my tendency to toe out is a combination of anatomical alignment, as Wahine suggested, and muscle imbalances that I may have developed over the years. Regardless of the cause, I've decided to embrace the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

ETA: The point I didn't get to in this post is that the therapist never suggested that I try to correct my foot while running. That hairbrained idea was totally mine.
    Last edited by Artista; 02-21-2012 at 07:10 AM.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB
    Updated Vintage Terry Symmetry / Bontrager InForm RL WSD

Artista,

I will chime in here because I am also not a natural runner, never ran in high school (avoided all sports, in fact). I started jogging just a bit in college, but it was only done to lose weight, not because I wanted to be a "runner". I am sure my longest run then was two miles.

I never ran again until a few years ago (in my late 40s), and it is not something that came easily to me either. I have only done a few runs of five miles in my entire lifetime. For the past couple of years, I mostly ran on the treadmill at the gym at work 2-3x a week, 3-3.5 miles was my usual, at a slowish pace.

We moved to Belize in August, and I realized I wouldn't be able to do the long road rides that were my fitness mainstay in North Carolina. We do have bikes, but they're beach cruisers for the sandy roads and beaches here, and there are very few paved roads where we live.

So I started up running again. It was intensely hot when I started, back in September, and I started with very short, slow runs. At times I could barely make 1.5 to 2 miles, because it was so hot and sunny, even very early in the morning. I felt like my heart was going to fly right out of my chest. I was not acclimated to the heat/humidity at all, even after living in NC. But I made a habit of running three mornings a week, and as of today, finally have hit the five mile mark again! And I did my first-ever 5K back in November. I wasn't fast (30:28 was my time), but I finished, and I was pretty proud of that!

I read Chi Running and several of John Bingham's running books (http://www.amazon.com/John-Bingham/e/B001ILIFC0) and all were super helpful. I don't push myself to go too fast or too far, and I have managed to completely avoid injury despite never having a formal shoe fitting, gait analysis, or coach. I do feel fortunate for that, especially since all of these things are probably near about impossible to find where I live now.

I guess the purpose of my post is just to encourage you not to give up. Just last week, I was berating myself for not being a real runner, whatever that is, as I just barely pushed out a 3.75-mile run. But this morning I did 5.1 with ease, and I realized that the difference was the weather (sun/heat last week vs. overcast/cool today). Today I felt like a runner!

Running is definitely not easy -- if it were, everyone would do it. But if you stick with it, don't try to do too much too soon, there's a good chance you'll eventually come to enjoy it. I know I felt on top of the world today both on and after my run, and it's made me all the more enthusiastic and itchy for more. So, like cycling, running really can get under your skin, as GLC's post also illustrated. It can become fun and something you look forward to.

Good luck!
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Thanks again for all of your inspirational stories and words of wisdom.

I ran again yesterday for the first time since I injured myself. I disregarded everything that I read from the "experts" and just let my body do what it wanted to do - no focus on leaning, no gait corrections, no altering the way my feet landed, and my body was happy. I'll continue running "naturally" as I build up distance and speed slowly, very slowly.

I'll never be a "runner" but after reading all of your stories, and experiencing a modicum of success yesterday, I have faith that I can become a cyclist who also runs.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I'll never be a "runner" but after reading all of your stories, and experiencing a modicum of success yesterday, I have faith that I can become a cyclist who also runs.
    Don't say that, Artista! You set yourself up for failure when you talk to yourself that way. Sure, you may never be a *strong* runner, or as serious about running as about cycling, but a runner you are. Already.

Glad you had a better run by not overthinking!
    Emily

if you're running you're a runner. It doesn't matter how much or how fast you move. If you're moving faster than a walk, then you're running.
    Kirsten
    run/bike log
    zoomylicious

'11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3
    '14 Seven Mudhoney S Ti/disc/Di2

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    I know what you mean, I feel the same way.
    2009 Trek 7.2FX WSD, brooks Champion Flyer S, commuter bike

Quote Originally Posted by Melalvai View Post
    I know what you mean, I feel the same way.
    Yeah, I think that a person has to enjoy running to consider themselves a runner. I'm open to the possibility that I could learn to enjoy it but I'm not quite there yet. I'll take my satisfaction in enjoying having run for the time being
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

No, you know, I don't know why it's so hard to think of oneself as a runner, when it seems easy to think of oneself as a cyclist. Maybe it's just because of all the ad models and TV coverage of the sport? Some time after my second marathon I started to occasionally entertain the idea of being a runner, but as I train for my third I'm really not comfortable with the term.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    No, you know, I don't know why it's so hard to think of oneself as a runner, when it seems easy to think of oneself as a cyclist. Maybe it's just because of all the ad models and TV coverage of the sport? Some time after my second marathon I started to occasionally entertain the idea of being a runner, but as I train for my third I'm really not comfortable with the term.
    Whaaaaa? You've done marathons and still don't consider yourself a runner?! That makes no sense to me.

I've never done more than a hair over five miles, and I know I am a runner. When others zip by me in their cars, golf carts (down here), and bikes, and I'm slogging along when I could be walking, biking, whatever, you better believe I'm a runner. Even when it sucks. And it often does!
    Emily

I've had the good fortune to be able to ride many times over the last couple of weeks so running has been on hold. My plan is to stop posting in my whining thread and start posting in the monthly running threads after I accomplish a few runs within one week. I'm not there yet as I've been opting for riding or well needed recovery days over running lately. I'm still hopeful that I can complete my C25K plan by the end of spring.

Speaking of C25K, I've been following your progress in the monthly running thread, Crankin. Good job! You're my inspiration right now.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

Thanks, Artista, but frankly, I feel like it's taking time away from riding. I want to finish the program, but I am not willing to give up my training classes, either. Thus, I end up doubling up one day a week, to get a rest day.
    Thankfully, it got colder and raw out, at least through Thursday, so I won't be riding, except on Wednesday and Friday. Next weekend looks beautiful, in the 50's; my perfect riding temperature.
    I had one bad day, last Monday. I am hoping not to repeat that experience tomorrow at 5:30 or 6:00 AM. And, I do admit, when I was riding last Wednesday, and it was 81 degrees, I looked at my DH as we were riding over the Sudbury River and said, "How can you compare running to this? This is fun and beautiful." Nine weeks seems like a long time, and when I finish the C25K program, it will be prime riding season. After that, we'll see.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    And, I do admit, when I was riding last Wednesday, and it was 81 degrees, I looked at my DH as we were riding over the Sudbury River and said, "How can you compare running to this? This is fun and beautiful."
    I hear ya. I want my running to complement, not replace my riding and fitness classes. I'm also already doubling up on my riding and classes on the days that I have extra time. Running will come at some point for me. I'm just trying to avoid turning it into a chore right now 'cause I know that will turn me off to running altogether.
    LORI
    Pivot Mach 4 / WTB

I think my issue is that my classes are early AM on days I have little other time... so I end up either running after one, or worse running on a day when I have free time and then I ride.
    I want to run only 2x a wk eventually.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport