Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Starting at the beginning

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've been reading about touring and regardless of the path I took to get here I have decided that touring is something I need/want to do. I decided after much thinking and reading to start at the very beginning.

I have decided to build up my tour bike from a frame. After much reading I had decided to pick up any old frame for this purpose. I had an old dual suspension Jamis for parts and I picked up a GT ZuM unfortunately or fortunately I chose the wrong size. I ended up in a conversation with my LBS about frame size and what type of bike frame to get for my future bike touring and their suggestion was the 46cm Surly LHT. After long deliberation and difficulty parting with the cash for such a nice frame I finally decided to go ahead with the purchase and the project. I was able to pick up the 2011 blue velvet on sale.

I think I have everything I need and it is just a matter of assembling the thing unless I run into trouble.
    Last edited by Hartmame; 01-29-2012 at 03:59 PM.

whew, you had me worried there for a minute the LHT is a great choice and enjoy putting it all together! We love the LHT so don't hesitate if you have any questions
    Sky King
    biketouringnews.com

awesome choice! welcome to TE
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Welcome.

I'm new to touring too. I have done a 3-day tour and a S-24 hour tour and loved both. I bought a LHT for Christmas 2010 and love it. I'm looking forward to some short tours this year. Glad to hear others are too!
    We do not take a trip; a trip takes us - John Steinbeck

Have fun with your new bike, and of course building it!

I've been doing tours for years, but this past summer was the first time that I actually did a self contained tour. Now I know why lots of people say that after riding self contained, they would not ride anything but.

http://chasecyclery.blogspot.com

Welcome to the LHT club. It is a great bike! I love mine and I love touring on it. Have fun. It is well worth the money.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Thank you, for the nice replies, I now feel very welcome here. My enthusiasm for touring seems to be catching. A couple of the women that I volunteer with have now decided we should do a bike over night this summer. I didn't know they rode at all now they are talking about getting miles in on a trainer over what is left of the winter. My bike isn't even put together yet!! I'm feeling a little under pressure now.

How exciting for you!! It sounds like you have a great project going on. I'll be looking forward to how it progresses. The LHT is a very cool bike.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Actually I am building up a LHT

I purchased the frame and now I'm building it up with the XT parts off the Jamis and a RSX crank & Sora front dérailleur that I had purchased for another project. I had to purchase a few things but not much.

Finished!

I put on all the parts and put it on the trainer. I probably should have ridden longer but I got it where it felt comfortable and threw the whole thing in my car and took off for the LBS to have my steering tube cut down to size. I asked them to check and adjust as needed. The weather has been so nice I just want to ride it.

Congratulations!! Would love to see pictures of it all done.
    Savra

2006 Specialized Dolce Elite/Specialized Stock Saddle
    2011 Surly LHT/Brooks S Flyer

Smile Wednesday

The LBS said Wednesday.