Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I want...

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

To disable ads, please log-in.

I want a smoked salmon sandwich --with nice rusty bread or on a sourdough baguette.

Mimi, it's great that Don's appetite is slowly recovering.
    My Personal blog on cycling & other favourite passions.
    遙知馬力日久見人心 Over a long distance, you learn about the strength of your horse; over a long period of time, you get to know what’s in a person’s heart.

I do the calorie like a money in the bank, but I "feel" the pinch of money harder than when I go over my calories!

When I travel for work and I'm surrounded by a lot of crazy food, I also have a hard time saying no. I find that the more that I say no, the easier it is to continue to say no. The problem is when I'm saying no to some things but yes to other things. I'm more successful when it's no all the time!

That's how I gave up donuts. The first few were hard. but after a few years, it was no big deal.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    Weight work is proving really fun though. I'd never worked with a trainer before now. It's far more motivating, he helps with form and keeping me honest in terms of reps, and always has something new to try. I'm really enjoying it.
    Yes, it really is helpful to work with a good trainer. I am really going to miss mine...but I've been well trained. For me the biggest advantage was his knowledge and ability to keep me focused without over-doing things. It may come as a surprise that I tend to push myself too hard Anyway, I am glad to hear that it is working out for you!

As far as food is concerned, I find I must say no all of the time or I am doomed... I do, occasionally, give in to ice cream, but as much as I love it I am satisfied with small amounts - probably because I get quality ice cream. No "reduced calorie/fat" ice cream for me - ick.

I am another woman for whom bread can be like crack...and I gave in today...sigh.
    Last edited by Catrin; 01-28-2012 at 04:23 PM.

I had my "bread" day, yesterday and now back to reality. I didn't do too much damage.
    I also find that if I am in a social situation, like a meeting with lots of food that is really bad, I don't eat any of it. The longer I can go without eating it, as I watch others stuff their faces, it makes it easier to not eat it. Let's just say the visual reinforcement of this works for me.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

You all are inspirational! Thank you for the tips and suggestions. Saying "no" seems to be the key to foods that I'm barraged with, but saying "yes" to an occasional treat that I plan sounds like the ticket. It's just a matter of picking which. It's funny -- I have said no to french fries and other greasy fried foods for years now and now they don't even attract me in the least, in fact they gross me out, so thank you all for reminding me about that!

Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    I had my "bread" day, yesterday and now back to reality. I didn't do too much damage.
    I also find that if I am in a social situation, like a meeting with lots of food that is really bad, I don't eat any of it. The longer I can go without eating it, as I watch others stuff their faces, it makes it easier to not eat it. Let's just say the visual reinforcement of this works for me.
    For some reason yesterday was just like that. Good idea about social situations. Typically I try to eat something prior to going, then just try and find the healthiest thing on which to nibble...but it never works that way. This is a good approach. Visual reinforcement sounds a good approach.

On a different note, I've been invited to a vegan's "share-in" that some friends of mine are starting. Of course I am not but always willing to expand my horizons. It is pretty interesting, they have 40 people on the list. So once a month 5 of those people/families are invited to their house and they bring a vegan dish + recipe. The recipes become part of a cookbook that is shared with everyone there. The next month another group of 5 come, and their recipes are added to those from the previous month, and so forth. Pretty cool.

I am hoping this will help me learn better/more ways of incorporating veggies in my diet - that is where it is lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by SAMbike View Post
    You all are inspirational! Thank you for the tips and suggestions. Saying "no" seems to be the key to foods that I'm barraged with, but saying "yes" to an occasional treat that I plan sounds like the ticket. It's just a matter of picking which. It's funny -- I have said no to french fries and other greasy fried foods for years now and now they don't even attract me in the least, in fact they gross me out, so thank you all for reminding me about that!
    It is interesting how that works. Years ago I loved soda, but then I didn't drink it for about 1.5 years and then tried it - I was shocked at how bad it tasted. That was in 1990 and I've not had one since then.

Cravings are interesting, and I like Veronica's approach about trying to figure out their source. I've not eaten deep fried food at all in about 3 years, and haven't eaten it on a regular basis since the early 1990's. There are times however when I really want fried chicken - even though I know my digestive system would punish me and the aftertaste would be awful. Obviously this isn't a body-hunger craving but something else - most likely from severe stress...