Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Lunch Ideas

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    555

    Lunch Ideas

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I get tired of foods very quickly so I'm looking for good ideas for lunch. I also don't have time in the morning to prep an elaborate lunch. I bring a lunch to work every day, but I don't have a fridge to keep it cool. I need something that is really quick to make in the morning and can stay at room temp for about 5 hours until I eat it. I am completely burnt out on sandwiches or pita w/ hummus. Any suggestions on how to add variety without adding a ton of cost? My meals for the last year have been sandwich, fruit, and side dish (pretzles, carrots, etc).

    Also, if you can suggest things that are easy to eat while driving, that would be a bonus. I would like to make the same thing for my husband, but he eats on the road and that gets challenging so it isn't a top priority.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    3,387
    Red or black beans and rice? You could make it the night before. But would be better made in the morning- I think they take 15 minutes? What if you had an insulated lunch box? Then you could take cold chicken, sushi, that kind of thing. My favorite cold pita food is Steakums, mushrooms, green peppers and onions. A good thing to make the night before, keep in the fridge, then stuff the pitas in the morning. I guess if you're vegetarian, though, I'm not much help! What about a bean and cheese and onion burrito? I could definitely eat that at room temp.

    Nanci

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,318

    lunch

    What about apples & cinnamon...
    (I was eating some one day & someone said to me "that's so american.."..I wansn't sure what to say...)

    Carrots & dip?

    c

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    3,099
    I eat turkey hot dogs with brown rice tortillas, some type of quickie veggie: raw celery or broccoli and an apple. If it takes me more than 5 mins in the morning to throw together, it ain't happening in my life! LOL
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA, Australia
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    What about apples & cinnamon...
    (I was eating some one day & someone said to me "that's so american.."..I wansn't sure what to say...)

    Carrots & dip?

    c
    Hey CC we must be spreading food confusion around the world. The other day we were out at a school picnic and my kids were eating weetbix with a bit of butter and jam. People kept gawking at us saying what is that you are eating. The look on their faces was not one of oh please can we share.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

    2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA, Australia
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by SalsaMTB
    I get tired of foods very quickly so I'm looking for good ideas for lunch. I also don't have time in the morning to prep an elaborate lunch. I bring a lunch to work every day, but I don't have a fridge to keep it cool. I need something that is really quick to make in the morning and can stay at room temp for about 5 hours until I eat it. I am completely burnt out on sandwiches or pita w/ hummus. Any suggestions on how to add variety without adding a ton of cost? My meals for the last year have been sandwich, fruit, and side dish (pretzles, carrots, etc).

    Also, if you can suggest things that are easy to eat while driving, that would be a bonus. I would like to make the same thing for my husband, but he eats on the road and that gets challenging so it isn't a top priority.
    Ooops Salsa forgot to say you could try the Weetbix thing but you would need to look for Weetabix the Pommie brand as I havent found the Aussie one here. Its yummy I promise.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

    2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    DuPage Co IL
    Posts
    865
    My personal favorite is brown rice, asian veggies and a small packet of salmon smothered in one of Trader Joe's bottled asian sauces like red curry. The packet (you know those new packets that take the place of a can of salmon) stays at room temp until you put it on the rest of the stuff at work before warming it up. I cook up a big vat of rice at the beginning of the week and throwing the whole thing together takes about 3 minutes each morning. The veggies are raw but who cares!

    The burrito roll-up is a good idea too. Hmm, wonder if they make "chili in a tube"??

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    On The Edge
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekhawk
    Hey CC we must be spreading food confusion around the world. The other day we were out at a school picnic and my kids were eating weetbix with a bit of butter and jam. People kept gawking at us saying what is that you are eating. The look on their faces was not one of oh please can we share.
    Weetabix and jam? Weetabix AND jam?
    That's wrong. SO wrong!!! And yet, strangely intriguing!!
    You eat the Weetabix dry??
    Life is Good!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    North Central Florida
    Posts
    3,387
    What is a "weetabix?"

    Sounds like a bird treat.

    Nanci

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,318

    Wheetbix

    Trek..i'm not a fan of wheetbix at the best of times...wheetbix dry...ummm no...

    Nanci, it's a staple in most kiddies diets here...it's ok..

    Trek or Snappy do you wish to explain this delicacy to our overseas friends?

    c

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    On The Edge
    Posts
    384


    Nanci, you're not too far wrong!
    It's scrummy with hot milk.
    I was sent to school every morning on a couple of Weetabix.

    I think it's possible to get it in the U.S., but probably in selected outlets.
    Would make your lunchbox a bit messy though - and I still refuse to believe anyone could eat these dry with butter and jam!
    Life is Good!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Off eating cake.
    Posts
    1,700
    Jam? If you're going to con an uninitiated American into eating dry Weetbix (not a personal fav), you really ought to slather them with Vegemite/Marmite! :evillaughingsmiliegoeshere:

    As for the lunch thing, I always make mine (sandwich, selection of fruit/veg, muesli bar - everyone else always has a yummier looking lunch than I do) the night before and leave it in the fridge until I leave for work - if I didn't I'd never have any. Um, mornings aren't my strong point...
    Drink coffee and do stupid things faster with more energy.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    WA, Australia
    Posts
    3,292
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    Trek..i'm not a fan of wheetbix at the best of times...wheetbix dry...ummm no...

    Nanci, it's a staple in most kiddies diets here...it's ok..

    Trek or Snappy do you wish to explain this delicacy to our overseas friends?

    c
    Not a fan of weetbix what is wrong with you girl.
    When choice mag did a spread on the healthiest breaky cereal guess what came in at number 1. Yep weetbix closely followed by the other wheat biscuit (cant remember its name maybe vitabrits). Im not sure it would be a big hit here because it has little if any sugar where as all the cereals here seem to be drowning in it.

    As far as not ever seeing it with butter and jam check out the box of weetabix the english version it has a picture of just this on the back plus other ways to eat them. Its a very healthy snack and Im pleased my kids like to eat them (actually its what we all eat for breakfast as well).

    Nanci - SPD the supermarket sells the english version Weetabix.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

    2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    4,556

    Another Idea...

    is to purchase tins of broiled eel from an Asian Grocery (I don't think these have made it to mainstream grocery stores yet) and dump over rice with a little soy. Add veggies on the side, or fruit if you wish.

    Yummy! (It's the same stuff that is in Eel rolls for those sushi eaters out there). The tins are somewhere between .99 and 1.19.

    Added Bonus: No one in my ex-office would touch the stuff. Hee Hee.

    Homemade (on the weekend) soup heated and kept in a thermos works well too in winter. So does instant tuna salad on bread type thing of choice (buy pouch tuna and single serving mayo - take zip loc baggies of spices).

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Canandaigua, NY
    Posts
    67

    long live the bix

    I'm so glad to find other weetabix lovers! They are my favorite breakfast food; I love the technique that you acquire trying to keep part dry and part soggy.

    As for lunches, I've been using baked, mashed winter squash - especially a sweeter variety like buttercup or delicata - as a sandwich spread. Bake or steam the squash the night before, season w/ s&p and/or herbs, and add Nayonnaise, mustard, salad greens, seasoned tofu, or whatever. Kind of fun!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •