Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

El Tour de Tucson 2011- anyone else here going?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Looks like I'm on track for El Tour de Tucson this year, after having to skip it last year due to hip alignment issues.

Anyone else participating?

It will be my first century, and longest ride, but I feel pretty well prepared, having participated in the training sessions with the Carmichael Training Systems coaches.

I'm keeping an eye on the weather forecast though....
    2016 Specialized Ruby Comp disc - Ruby Expert ti 155
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker - Jett 143

Such a fun ride! I wish we were going. I have done it 4 - 5 times - first did it in 2001 - got platinum my first year which was a shocker! (women really do have an unfair advantage in that) and bettered that result a couple of times after. It is a fast fun century course. You should be well prepared with your training program - and being a local, knowing the course.

This was also DD's first century on the tandem. I think she was 10. That year I lost them - not sure if they were ahead or behind me. They were ahead and I puttered around long enough waiting for them or trying to find them that I probably finished an hour after they did.

It really is a great time of year to ride in Tucson. I have yet to do Mt. Lemmon and that's on the bucket list.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Thanks maillotpois- I do know most of the course but am just a little concerned about how well I will do if it rains. Don't expect platinum from me though! My goal is silver. The DH is shooting for platinum though.

It's so much harder for men to get Platinum - ask my DH who got it once to my 3. But Chuck is a superstar so I have confidence in him. .

Rain: have proper gear and give riders in front of you a wider berth. You will be great!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

If you're confident in your ability to finish within the time limit and don't care about your official time, roll through the start just after the official start time. Then you can avoid standing around in the cold and can draft people as you ride up through the pack. You'll also get to the sand pits after the crowds have cleared out. Stay focused though. Don't waste time eating pancakes. : ) You want to try to get past the place where the 30-milers join in before they start. A lot of them don't ride much so they're a little unpredictable.

AZ Fiddle, good luck with the ride tomorrow and tailwinds!!

(Thankfully no rain )
    DT

Have fun - stay safe!!!
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

Thanks all- I started the day with my DH at the front of the "silver" start line. He was almost instantly out of sight in his attempt to achieve Platinum status - unrealized at the end as he rode the tour in 5 hours 20 min- and needed to be sub 5 hours for platinum.

I completed the 111 mile route, but it took me 8 hours, 7 minutes- silver was 6:15- 9 hours to complete the ride.

My knee started hurting around mile 75, but I made it through to the end.

DH rested up and rode back to "pull me in" - very sweet. Nothing else hurt, I ate and drank appropriately and finished strong on the last mile.

First El Tour, and first century ride now in the record book!

Sharon

Well done!!!! Not a bad first century, right??

5:20 is such a great result for your DH. He'd really have to line up in the very front with the gold people to have a shot - every little bit of working with the best pacelines is needed for guys to make that target. My DH has done it once, and it was really hard.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio