Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

enjoy it, it makes them feel better and that makes you feel better. DH did the same until I got so tired of not being allowed to do anything that I muttered- Should have kept my mouth shut.

I forgot to add, that I did ace my three month check on the non surgical breast, and have been told to go away and not come back for a year. Yay.

I have also restructured some of my eating to eliminate foods high in natural estrogen or that inhibit estrogen growth so sweet potatoes are out of my life ;( but fresh strawberries, as many and as often as I can get them are in . Lots of other things but that is the biggest switch.

Whatever you decide, I am pulling for you.

marni

I'm feeling pretty normal (for me ) mentally, too. I'm still doing normal things. My bf is doing more around the house, which is awesome. I feel a little guilty, like I'm taking advantage of this diagnosis, but hey, if it makes him feel better, I'm not going to stop him from scooping the litter box. [/QUOTE]
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

Thanks Marni. I've been thinking about you. Glad you're doing so well! You're an inspiration to me.

I've been lurking on a breast cancer forum, and it's been very helpful. It's similar to this, in that the women are compassionate, smart, thoughtful in their writing, and generous with their knowledge, but they're not as fun as you guys. There's not enough ride reports. It's been extremely useful though, and I feel like I'm back in college again. I've already learned a lot.

I'm still good, taking great care to eat really well and ride gently. I'm avoiding stress as much as I can, although some of it is seeping in. I'm thinking about doing yoga again, after a several year hiatus. I should probably get a referral to a nutritionist. I'm sure there are things I should be avoiding. I love sweet potatoes.
    '02 Eddy Merckx Fuga, Selle An Atomica
    '85 Eddy Merckx Professional, Selle An Atomica

'10 Soma Double Cross DC, Selle An Atomica

Slacker on wheels.

Yoga is good (I'm no expert just bought a bright purple mat and copied the gorgeous women on tv and as glad they couldn't see me)
    Yeah, the nutrition is key.
    What's the story on sweet potato??
    Tho' My Onck reckons that soy products are not a problem but I keep away from them. I was craving soy back in the 90's before my first "incident" and ate it like crazy. It means something I am just not sure what.
    Took a week off my Aromasin (aromatase (estrogen pre-cursor) inhibitor) and back on it yesterday so feel really CR-P today . I just got tired of feeling 85 years old and gave myself a 7-day pass. Naughty but not medically significant ...

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Aw ((red)).
    I wish you got to spend this much thought and energy planning some spectacular ride trip. Maybe you get to do that too.
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

according to my sources, sweet potatoes and soy contain natural estrogen and similar phytogens that are not good. I figure now that I am on the tamoxofin except for the 24-36 hours once a month menopause symptoms recurrence I might as well stick to it, I can't imagine taking a week off since it would take me at least ten days to get back on and not feel like killing myself or someone else. Good for you for being able to take a break though.

I am aiming at doing a cross country ride with my sister going from New Orleans to Lake Itasca MN along the mississippi in may to celebrate an almost one year anniversry. Of course with all the stuff that is going on with 90 year old FIL right now, all of this might change but I am determined to stick with the original plans as long as I can.

Pick a dream trip and start planning for it red, and then make lound long and frequent comments. Stranger things have happened.

marni
    marni
    Katy, Texas
    Trek Madone 6.5- "Red"
    Trek Pilot 5.2- " Bebe"

"easily outrun by a chihuahua."

I got a call from my NP yesterday telling me to stop taking the pill until I talk to my Oncologist. Ugh. I've been on it for a long time. There were a lot of perks to the pill, and I liked being on it, but if it's the cause of the problem (will I ever know?), of course now I'll regret it.

I'm open to suggestions about alternative methods of birth control. PM if you're shy. Ha, that's funny...like there's anything too personal for TE!

Slacker on wheels.

I'm past that now, but I used a cervical cap for years and loved it. I had to go to Planned Parenthood to find a practitioner who could fit one.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I used a cervical cap for a while too. Not bad for a barrier method.

I hope you can let go of regrets and carry on from here. Maybe it was the red candies or the neighbors' pesticide or the smog or the sun but then again, maybe it wasn't.

My granny always said "Ain't life grand?!"
    My uncle agreed and said "Nobody ever said life was fair."
    Each day is a gift, that's why it is called the present.

What made you choose the cervical cap over a diaphragm?

Life is grand! You know, as bad a thing as this is, I know some good things will come out of it. I'm already seeing my body in a new light. I've been so critical of it all these years, and really, it's pretty great. I'm done obsessing about the tiny flaws. It all looks good to me now.

I stopped looking at the breast forum for now. I got spooked last night reading some horror stories. I took today off and didn't worry. At this point, there's no reason to worry. There's just discover and repair. I'm lucky to have these options.

ETA: My father's mother died at 51 of some kind of cancer. He never knew what kind. He was very young. I never thought about it being BC until my diagnosis, but it makes sense.

Slacker on wheels.

The cap is a lot smaller than a diaphragm - more, um, uncovered surfaces = more sensitivity and less to get in the way. The only downside is that mine was so comfortable it was possible to forget about it. Ewwwwwww. Geez, maybe some things are too personal for TE!

At least the kind I had (the Prentif cap which I don't think is imported into the USA any more) could stay in for 24 hours or longer which allows for spontaneity. IIRC a diaphragm has to go in pretty much right before sex.

Hang in there red. This is tough - you're allowed to feel whatever comes.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    I stopped looking at the breast forum for now. I got spooked last night reading some horror stories. I took today off and didn't worry. At this point, there's no reason to worry. There's just discover and repair. I'm lucky to have these options.
    I found that the people that frequent the illness/physical problem forums are usually the ones that are not doing well, having issues, etc. Those that have recovered and are doing great drift away. At least that's how it was on the spine forum I was on.

Yes! When I had my medical saga a few years ago, I made myself sicker by reading stuff on line. The people who write on these forums are the ones that are not doing well, or have some ax to grind with the medical community. I only allow myself to look at stuff from the Mayo Clinic now!
    Way back in the day, I used a diaphragm, after it became clear the pill was causing the horrible side effects you read about (pains in the legs, chest, etc). I didn't like it, because I could always feel it after sex, and it made me feel like I had to pee every second. I had lots of UTIs during this time. We switched to condoms because of this, which lasted until after I had kid #2 and then DH had his tubes snipped.
    2015 Trek Silque SSL
    Specialized Oura

2011 Guru Praemio
    Specialized Oura
    2017 Specialized Ariel Sport

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    I found that the people that frequent the illness/physical problem forums are usually the ones that are not doing well, having issues, etc. Those that have recovered and are doing great drift away. At least that's how it was on the spine forum I was on.
    I agree, I was like this when I had the ovarian cancer scare in 2008, and also drifted away from HysterSisters as I recovered from my surgery.

For me at least, I've learned the hard way that the more time I spend researching and visiting forums that focus on a problem I am having the worse I feel. This is just me, I do have OCD issues (which probably isn't a surprise) so I really focus on things that get my attention. I do still research things on the internet, but am very careful about where I go and stick with sites like the Mayo Clinic, or the Arthritis Foundation.

Honestly I try to stick to medical journals, or at least summaries aimed at doctors, as much as possible. Although you certainly don't escape the corporate influence that way, it's slightly less pervasive than it is in the consumer-oriented sites, and at least you get to analyze the numbers for youself.

If you do use consumer sites, stick to the ones that are HON code certified and preferably screened by a neutral organization like the National Women's Health Network. IMVHO, user forums are great when you have a problem and need support or a place to vent - not so much for when you're looking for unemotional information.

When I was going through this stuff, DH was absolutely useless to me - I later found out it was because I was reading medical journals and asking him to help me sift the data, while he was reading user forums and completely freaking out. I still don't think he gets it....

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    That's so good to know, and not something I realized. It makes sense.

Cervical cap 2+, diaphragm 1-

Slacker on wheels.